High calorie drink ideas?

Options

Replies

• chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks. :) I think I need to find a protein powder I find palatable, and start working through the rest of this list. Fortunately, my husband is on LCHF, so I've got company with mixing everything with mayo, dipping it in butter then topping it with guacamole. I just wash mine down with a milkshake.
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A nice hot drink I make is a commercial protein chocolate shake (such as bolthouse) heated with a tablespoon of coconut oil stirred in. Quick, easy, loads of calories.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

JoRocka wrote: »
    ^^ well ice water isn't calories- and OP needs calories.

milk.
    Smoothies made with ice cream in them- or greek yogurt- or cream cheese.

I know a guy who blends cheesecake into his smoothies. So I mean- there is that!

That is a waste of good cheesecake.

• pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I know, I was thinking the same thing, haha! I'm like, if I can fit cheesecake into my day, I'm not gonna waste it by liquefying it. I want to enjoy every bite.

To each their own, though.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You could always drink Ensure or something like that. They're pretty high calorie and small so it won't feel like you're trying to chug down a gallon of milkshake.
  • pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i also suffer with this and am trying to find a good smoothie so hard when you cant stomach alot if i find any ideas ill let you know :smile:
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My first thought is some sort of coconut or almond milkshake, with an added nut butter or an avocado (once you add sugar to avocados they only taste creamy), maybe with some cocoa and some sort of sugar for taste/calories. I usually add agave in smoothies/shakes because liquid sugar seems to blend easier and it's lower glycemic, I would normally suggest fruit but you won't want a lot of dietary fiber if you are having a hard time with slow digestion as it is.

That's assuming you don't have issues digesting fats, they are my go-to if I am full or nauseated but need to eat more calories.
  • chouflour
    Options
    I drink a lot of smoothies, pebbleslaura1. I just consider them meals instead of beverages. The dietician pretty much said "Everyone's ability to digest is different - experiment and make everything you put in your mouth count." Along with some generic "low fat, low fiber, low sugar", which is remarkably low calorie.

I do have to watch fat and fiber - I'm nearing the upper bounds on fat, which seems to free up a little fiber. So if I move some fat and calories to beverages then I might get options like green vegetables back.

Yesterday I had a cup and a half of salad, which is an incredibly inefficient use of stomach capacity - but it tasted SO GOOD.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Your situation might be one of the few that could benefit from juicing. If you don't have the capacity for the filling dietary fiber of the vegetables and only need the calories.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    This may not be the healthiest suggestion, but since it's that time of year you might throw in some eggnog as a holiday treat. One cup is about 350 calories...it has a good amount of protein, but unfortunately also a lot of sugar. But if you're only having one serving, you could call it dessert and depending on what the rest of your diet looks like it might not be bad. One cup is pretty easy to drink in a short amount of time. And while most like it cold, some people do drink it warm.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pina coladas, even virgin ones.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Milk with loads of Nutella (heaped tbsp) heated up is gorgeous - don't know the calories off the top of my head but it's high :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    TallyToes wrote: »

I know, I was thinking the same thing, haha! I'm like, if I can fit cheesecake into my day, I'm not gonna waste it by liquefying it. I want to enjoy every bite.

come back to me and this forum and tell us that when you are trying to bulk and can't eat enough.
  • chouflour
    Options
    You could always drink Ensure or something like that. They're pretty high calorie and small so it won't feel like you're trying to chug down a gallon of milkshake.

Just in case there's anyone else reading along - Ensure is 220-250 calories/cup. It's notably less dense than a cup of milkshake, or about the same as a cup of whole milk made into chocolate milk. It does have a vitamin pill dissolved in it, and it feels enough like "not food" that I can eat it when I hate food, but it isn't inherently better than a cup of chocolate milk and a vitamin pill.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

come back to me and this forum and tell us that when you are trying to bulk and can't eat enough.

No kidding, Jo...I'm starting to have those days. Last night I had to do PB with a whole milk/heavy cream chaser.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Seriously- if you have never bulked- you have no idea how easy it is to under eat and accidentally miss you goals. it's less about the delicious food and all about the get it in- one way or the other.

NOMNOMNOM I like it- PB with a heavy cream chaser. LULZ

I'm partial to the whole crumbled oreos in ice cream bit. ;)

now I want to bulk just to get big and eat all the things- this cutting thing sucks balls.
  • PacManBrah
    PacManBrah Posts: 17
    edited December 2014
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »
    so now I'm looking for liquid calories.

I need ~ 600 more calories through the day (range 300-900). Protein would be nice, but I'm generally getting my essential protein.
    Whole milk 14 oz
    oats .5 up
    ice cream .5 cup

Blend and it ends up about 20 ounces sounds like a lot but its only slightly thicker than regular milk so not thick at all, eat with 3 eggs and you've hit 813 cal

mCTa6SJ.jpg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Smoothies that you make with frozen bananas, full fat yogurt, whole milk, and peanut butter. now that is a calorie load.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Eggs and milk have gotten a bad nutritional wrap, in my opinion. In moderation, eggnog is a good solution. I also mix protein powder in iced coffee. Once it is blended, you can warm it all in the microwave if your office is cold like mine. ( I use whey protein and it curdles in hot liquids.)
  • macelmer
    macelmer Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's Disease and like drinks from Bolthouse Farms and CalNaturale Svelte (added protein is a big plus with this one). At times, I like to drink my calories, to give my belly a rest. These drinks are tasty, and the Bolthouse Farms drinks can count as servings of fruit and veggies too.