Chronic Hives question

Options
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with Chronic Hives?
I started with them about 2 months ago. I saw an allergist and he says that its chronic with no explanation. I don't buy that. I believe my body is not happy with something its been exposed to - perhaps my terrible eating or alcohol abuse?
So obviously I'm here to first get healthy, but also I'm curious to see if this situation improves after I've been eating properly for a while.
These hives break out every day for a few minutes at a time unless I scratch and then they last about 20-30 minutes. They'll go away for an hour or two and then come back.
Zyrtec works - one pill every three days stops the breakouts.
If you've dealt with this and have had success stopping them, please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I started with them about 2 months ago. I saw an allergist and he says that its chronic with no explanation. I don't buy that. I believe my body is not happy with something its been exposed to - perhaps my terrible eating or alcohol abuse?
    So obviously I'm here to first get healthy, but also I'm curious to see if this situation improves after I've been eating properly for a while.
    These hives break out every day for a few minutes at a time unless I scratch and then they last about 20-30 minutes. They'll go away for an hour or two and then come back.
    If you've dealt with this and have had success stopping them, please let me know. Thanks!

my first priorities would be getting a handle on your "alcohol abuse" then your "terrible eating". If after that and if the hives are still an issue, see a new doctor
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Alcohol can trigger chronic hives.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    A lot things can cause hives; medication (even just ibuprofen), food allergies, stress, latex, etc.

I would write down anything you think might possibly be the culprit and visit your doctor and talk to him/her about it. Like if you've had a changing in your eating habits and introduced foods you don't typically eat, if you have had a change in your stress level or increased your physical activity lately, also mention the alcohol.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've had contact urticaria (hives) as long as I remember but never associated it with food or lifestyle. What makes you doubt your allergy doctor and think it's anything other than unlucky genes? I have allergies such as cats but never thought I could cure that through diet either.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    You can totally have non allergic urticaria of unknown origin. My poor lil 3yo has had it for a year now and its completely unrelated to any food allergy or common causality we can ascertain. Shes on antihistamines twice a day and we have to try and wean her off every 3m. Shes improved a bit now where we can sometimes omit for a couple of days but eventually they return. Am hoping eventually they will go altogether as they make her 'feel sad' and obviously itch and bother her
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Chronic hives can be a symptom of anxiety. I wouldn't be surprised if your "terrible eating" and "alcohol abuse" are causing you a great deal of anxiety.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    That's really bizarre. What did the doctor say, just to live with it?
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I get them frequently but not chronically and only a couple times had to go to the ER. Zyrtec and off brand Zyrtec pills are the only thing that really work for me. I would second the other folks saying first get the booze issue under control as well as food. If you are leaning towards healthier eating, I'd try cutting way down on processed foods. That and sodium. I hope you see some improvement because hives are so annoying.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Something can set them off to begin with, and then they can become chronic, even without being exposed to the allergen again. Mine started with an antibiotic, but they kept coming back, even when I stopped taking that medication. My allergist told me it was like my body and skin "freaking out" and we had to find them a way to calm down. Claritin worked for me. You have to take enough of the antihistamine to make the hives go away, and take it regularly so that they don't come back, and then very gradually wean yourself off. If you have an outbreak, you have to go back to the higher dose until they go away again without an outbreak. It can take a while.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have topical reactions all the time (never internal like breathing issues). I wash off the affected area and if that doesn't work, I apply hydro-cortisone cream, if that doesn't work, I take an antihistamine (benadryl).

My main issues are chemicals in make-up, skin care, hair care and household products. I use biodegradable laundry detergent, natural cleaners, mineral make-up and am very, very careful about hair care products. Most hair sprays pretty much coat me in hives. :neutral_face: Most of the issues I have now occur when I'm outside my home and around other people.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is not uncommon. I sometimes have them. It could be caused by dry skin, even if your skin doesn't feel particularly dry. Use a really good lotion and see if that helps. I like Eucerin's skin calming lotion.

Also, it sounds like you should consider addressing your alcohol consumption. Stress can contribute to hives.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Look into food allergies. I used to get hives and, lo and behold, I now realize I have not had them since eliminating soy from my diet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're not allergic. Bee pollen is great for allergies etc etc
  • atipton719
    atipton719 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from idiopathic chronic hives for the past 6-8 months. Right now I take 2 zyrtec, 2 xyzal, 2 zantac, and 1 singulair to treat them and they still don't go away completely. I've been on two 10 day courses of steroids and I was prescribed doxepin for a while as well. I continue to break out daily, mostly in the evening. My allergist has done numerous blood tests and has not been able to find anything. I've had allergies all my life, but he does not think that it is anything I'm allergic to. He said in my case it may be an autoimmune disorder. Right now the goal is to get them completely under control and not have any breakouts.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    That's really bizarre. What did the doctor say, just to live with it?

I haven't had hives but it's fairly common for doctors to tell me symptoms I have are idiopathic (of unknown origin). Most recently it was double vision. Now they're rethinking it in light of some new symptoms but yeah at the time they pretty much said "here's an eye patch so you can drive. Don't worry you'll adjust."
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have started getting hives recently. I had a session of it tonight. Aloe vera gel seems to calm it right down and make it go away quicker.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    yes the allergists told me the same thing. I had them for a whole year, seen all kinds of allergists, naturopaths, and finally a functional medicine dr- he helped the most, diagnosing me with leaky gut syndrome (which most conventional docs don't 'believe in'., but whatever) It makes complete sense to me. I was able to heal them by going gluten-free (in my case, i am intolerant and it makes my intestinal wall thinner), eating whole foods (I'm a vegan and can't handle the processed crap), and by using neem oil- it's amazing for the itching and it's a blood cleanser! smells funny, but worth it. I also took hcl and glutamine to heal my gut. my hives went away, but then for some dumb reason i started eating gluten again and the hives came back, so now i'm back to square one having to heal myself slowly again. i refuse to take steroids, but i do take a zyrtec if it gets so bad i can't stand it. It also has a lot to do with stress and hormones. Work on reducing stress (meditating, yoga, etc) and balancing hormones (balance your hormones, balance your life by claudia welch is a great resource). Hope that helps!!
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My daughter gets stress hives when she's anxious. Daily Zyrtec might be reducing the frequency, but she needs a Benadryl on top of the Zyrtec to treat them. If you keep a diary, you may be able to identify triggers.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had hives for ten months. It was awful. I got the same response from my doctor as you did. Finally, I saw an allergist specializing in food allergies. She diagnosed a wheat allergy, and I haven't had a hive in 30 years, except on the rare occasions where I have wheat.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    PS, The doctor did a blood test (RAST) followed by skin testing.