Smoothie Alternatives to Yogurt

Options
I am lactose intolerant and not even the lactase pills or lactose free offerings leave me free of some amount of gas from ingesting it. I've been making all my smoothies using tofu as a base but I worry about too much soy in my diet that way. What are some other good "filler" style smoothie ingredients that aren't dairy based? I am using a blender and don't have a food processor, but I thought soft-cooked chickpeas might be one.

Replies

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Banana? I only occasionally used yogurt in my smoothies. It was usually just frozen fruit, greens, and almond milk.
  • technospice
    technospice Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That's some darn thin smoothie. I like to add a bulking agent outside of the whey protein isolate I put in it. Banana is a good one though I would have to really watch carbs the rest of the day. >_< They're so carby.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Throw a tablespoon of Chia seeds in there. Let it sit for five minutes if you want a thicker texture.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Mango? I never put dairy in my smoothies.
  • sonnyOclock
    Options
    pumpkin puree
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've just been adding fiber powder. It isn't supposed to get thick but it certainly does.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    avocado? darn tasty in a smoothie.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    avocado? darn tasty in a smoothie.

This is exactly what i was going to say. Good fiber, vitamin E, etc. and makes a nice, silky smoothie.

• chimebird
    chimebird Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk is great for thickening.