fitbit vs. jawbone

Options
which works best for you - are any of them vital to your weight loss?

- and please direct me if this has been questioned to death

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    This is difficult with the new ones about to come out with better features. Ask again in a few months
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is difficult with the new ones about to come out with better features. Ask again in a few months

only christmas is THIS month. ;)
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    neither; phone app.
    But if my phone didn't track my activities I'd probably get the least invasive device. To me that seems the Jawbone
    94b4d2a5-032f-4f83-87e6-5ed3cd2ffb83.jpg.w240.jpg
  • MermaidKatie
    MermaidKatie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pattycakes80, I read an article that made me choose the Jawbone over the Fitbit because it does analysis and tells you what you need to do to improve your health based on the data you've entered. It had the highest rating and beat out the Fitbit by quite a lot. I'm sorry I can't find the article again to share with you. Last week, the small or medium Jawbone UP 24 was offered on Amazon for $69 if you could handle it in red. I would check to see if they're still running the special. I ordered one for myself and one for my husband. He needed a large, so I paid $139 for the larger one and got it in black for him. Merry Christmas!
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit flex at the end of August and I have worn it diligently everyday. I am actually having to take a short break from it because I wore out the charging wire and am waiting for the new wire to arrive in the mail.

I have it set to 10,000 steps a day and have been consistently hitting my goals. I'm not certain if it is vital to my weight loss as I have also been maintaining a calorie deficit, but I do believe it has given me some wiggle room in my caloric goals so that I have never felt deprived. It has also made me more mindful of my activity level. When I have free time, I am highly likely to sit around and play videos games. The Fitbit keeps me honest about how much I've moved around in a given day. I love that the Flex is on my wrist because it is like a constant reminder to reach my fitness goals.

I don't really use the sleep monitoring feature and my phone is too old for it to be able to connect through Bluetooth with my Fitbit. It has to sync up with my desktop, which has never been a problem. I do use the alarm feature so I don't wake up my boyfriend in the morning. That feature has been reliable and I actually prefer it to my cell phone jolting me awake.

Basically, while I don't consider it vital to my weight loss, I do consider it vital to my fitness goals.
  • Tanya0927
    Tanya0927 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bumping this post... Curious to know if they track strength training very well.
    Also eager to hear about the new updated versions coming out.
    I have a body media from 2010 and while it works awesome I hate how bulky and obvious it is on my bicep.
  • MrsSmith24102014
    Options
    I have a FitBit and love it, the choices are great for individuals too. The goals you can set are really helpful and it syncs up well on here. I have the app, dashboard on comp and go on to the website. I'm not sure if the JAwbone is smaller but I like the interchangable bracelets for the FitBit!

I hope you manage to find what you're looking for :smile:
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit and love it, the choices are great for individuals too. The goals you can set are really helpful and it syncs up well on here. I have the app, dashboard on comp and go on to the website. I'm not sure if the JAwbone is smaller but I like the interchangable bracelets for the FitBit!

I hope you manage to find what you're looking for :smile:

Same here I love my Fit bit, warning it's addictive after you start wearing it every day if you forget to wear it, you feel cheated :) that you are not getting your movement credits ha! Choose the best one for yourself price, water exposure etc. I have to track all my exercise there instead of other apps. it is just easier plus it emails you your stats, and if you tie in the scale :s it also lets you know your progress. I confess to avoiding the scale recently.... just don't want to go there right now.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've had both. The FitBit Force was awesome, but was recalled. So, I went with the JawBone Up 24. They are both similar on what they do. I prefer jawbone's app, but FitBit is fine. I know christmas is this month so I'd choose the FitBit Charge, but honestly I'd give a gift card or something and wait for either the ChargeHR or the Up3.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Tanya0927 wrote: »
    Bumping this post... Curious to know if they track strength training very well.
    Also eager to hear about the new updated versions coming out.
    I have a body media from 2010 and while it works awesome I hate how bulky and obvious it is on my bicep.

The Up3 is suppose to use similar technology as the BodyMedia since Jawbone bought that company. I'm really interested in that.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If you preorder the Up3 with overnight shipping, you *should* get it in time for Christmas (barring unforeseen circumstances.)
  • gzl5ry
    gzl5ry Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't know if this answer is still relevant for you but maybe somebody else will find my experience useful. I chose the UP24 over the Fitbit Flex in the end. I had no preference going in and tried to read reviews. It was essentially a toss-up for me and I decided on the Jawbone because it has the idle alert, which to my understanding, Fitbit does not. There were no Fitbit Charges available in local stores at the time of my purchase or I might have gone that route. The Surge and UP3 both got delayed and I didn't want to wait to start using these types of devices.

I really like the UP24. I love the idle alert since I sit at a desk for work. It has been buzzing me like crazy today and it serves it's purpose, I got up pretty much each time and took a break and walked around for a few minutes, used the restroom, etc.

It's also pretty comfortable. I don't wear watches typically unless I need to for an event, so that was also a consideration I made as Fitbit uses a band versus Jawbone's wraparound design. I find the wraparound design to be great. Half the time I don't even notice it is there and the other half it is barely noticeable. It also seems to have a long battery life so far. I charged it when getting it home from the store and haven't charged it again. It's been 5 days.

I also find the app very appealing. It has some good, basic coaching tips and can give you challenges everyday (you can opt out of individual challenges or all challenges in the settings and on the main screen). It also syncs up quite well with myfitnesspal app (I'm inputting info through Apple devices and Online). I haven't used the actual food entry function in the UP24 app, so I don't know how good it is. But it looks very similar to the myfitnesspal app. It also sets more challenges with the syncing like challenging me to eat more fiber (it keeps a running tally via syncing my food input throughout the day into the myfitnesspal app).

One final note. It does seem to be pretty accurate with the step counts. I've done several tests walking around the stores and in parking lots and have found it to be anywhere from right on to very close (28 steps off at a count of 500).

To answer one more question that might relate. Somebody asked about tracking weightlifting (I'll throw in cycling also). The short answer is no, devices without a heart rate function cannot test exertion through things like cycling or weights. Since the devices without HR are basically tracking motion they cannot tell when you are standing still and doing curls or bench presses and they cannot tell when you are on a stationary (they do sense a treadmill since your arms are swinging). To go further into your actual exercise calories being burnt you need a device with a heart rate monitor. Now, that I am impressed with the device and have confidence in the brand I am very interested in the UP3 once it is released (it got delayed until the 1st quarter sometime). The Fitbit Surge would be the rough equivalent of the UP3 and was very scarce around the holidays. It should be more readily available 1st quarter also.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask.