how can i get myself to exercise when it's cold?

Options
this summer i took on regular gym workouts
i'm very sensitive to cold and now, with the weather being colder, i find it difficult to go outside and go to the gym
it just makes me feel sluggish overall
ive been telling myself i need to the gym for 4 hours and still haven't gone yet and part of it is because it's cold outside

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Get a really warm coat, warm, waterproof boots, a hat, gloves and a scarf. I invested in a decent coat this year, and it's so much more tolerable than last year (although there isn't a polar vortex this year). Still, we've had some really cold days, and they feel much more doable when you're equipped to face them.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Can you work out at home? I work out at home like 90% of the time in the winter and 10% of the time in the summer, ha.
  • slemonfit
    slemonfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    well there's a small fitness center in my apartment complex but the thing is that to get there i have to walk outside a while its not too far like 3 minutes but still being cold for that 3 minutes is really discouraging, the thought of going from indoors to outside really cold dressed up in shorts (i can only work out in shorts, i feel restrained running in any kind of pants), and i just cant get myself out the door sometimes. i dont really like bringing a coat because its not that far and there isnt really any place to put a coat (its a pretty small fitness room). i went today, but i still felt cold, i just get dressed in a tank, workout shorts, and i brought a small jacket with me but its still chilly
  • eagley2j
    Options
    I counter cold by reminding myself the enjoyment of owning fit body. Grab good warm clothes and keep yourself cozy this winter.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Surely you can't stay indoors all the time? You must have to leave for work, shopping etc. Just wrap up warm and go. After a few minutes in the gym you'll soon warm up :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Like Nike says, "just do it".
    I am 63 years old. I live in Minnesota. In 2014 I have walked out side every day except one (it was -29 below zero, with wind chill in the -70's below). If you dress correctly, it is fine. Motivating yourself to go to the gym should be easy, you are doing this to be healthier, and that is a good thing.
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel Posts: 10,891 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Don't go out the house dressed in just shorts then. Wear trousers over them and take them off when you get there. Even if it is a small fitness room, I'm sure you can find a corner to put your stuff. :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Seriously if you can't even go across a complex there is something wrong. Have your labs and especially thyroid and iron checked. I am way older and hypothyroid and I can go out in the cold just fine with layers. I even get hot!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You just have to make yourself do it every day (or at least 5-6 days a week, taking 1-2 days as rest days) whether you feel like it or not.

Think about your goal: to lose weight. Can you achieve that goal without exercise? Technically, yes, if you do a big enough deficit, but you can eat more and lose faster if you exercise, and you'll lose a higher percentage of fat and keep more of the muscle as you lose weight. Remember how you want to look at the end. Who or what is your inspiration? Your health? Your family? A friend or celebrity that you admire? Keep those things in mind as you force yourself to go to the gym on cold days.

I think a lot of people will find more motivation as the new year starts... a new year, a new look, and of course you need to start early if you want to reach your goal by summer. None of the "I need to lose 30+ lbs in four to six weeks" people that show up in May/June/July of every year.

Also remember that the cold season will not last forever. You can look at the weather charts for your area; in my area, for example, January is one degree (on average) cooler than December, but in February it starts picking up again. Just get through the next couple months and it'll get easier again. Sometimes it's easier to get through something difficult if there's an end in sight.
  • sharonpryke
    sharonpryke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find I can put up with some parts being briefly cold if my neck and shoulders are warm - how about snuggling up in a scarf or shawl as you make the dash to the gym? And/or wearing a thermal vest to help keep your core warm?

If you really can't make yourself do it then you need to accept that you don't want to. As someone else suggested do a workout in your own home or wait for the warmer weather.

If you want to do it, you'll find a way.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Do some body weight exercises in your apartment?
    I do all my weight workouts in my house. Often with just a kettlebell.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Wait, it's too cold to go to the gym OR the one at your apartment complex?? You're basically making excuses not to exercise. Only you can do something about this.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You toughed it out all muggy summer, leaving the gym all sweaty only to be hit in the face with all that hot air? It feels so much better leaving the gym in the winter, you'll appreciate the crisp air on your way back home.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I find its the going thats harder. I was going outside in shorts and T short when it was zero and that was a bit too cold. Seriously dont let it be an excuse not to go if you need the exercise and its part of you reaching your target weight. Wrap up warm and realise when you are letting something deter you, then get past it.

Do you want to get fit and lose weight or not?

Coming back is easy because you are warmed up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Move to a warmer climate?
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Indoor youtube workout videos. I love them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Wait, it's too cold to go to the gym OR the one at your apartment complex?? You're basically making excuses not to exercise. Only you can do something about this.

This...once you quit making excuses, you just do it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Surely you can't stay indoors all the time? You must have to leave for work, shopping etc. Just wrap up warm and go. After a few minutes in the gym you'll soon warm up :)

This. I assumed this was going to be about you not being able to exercise outdoors, but seriously, just tell yourself you have to do it like you have to go out to do other things. And wear a coat--like others have said, I'm sure there's somewhere to put it.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    5mU2ObG.jpg
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    slemonfit wrote: »
    well there's a small fitness center in my apartment complex but the thing is that to get there i have to walk outside a while its not too far like 3 minutes but still being cold for that 3 minutes is really discouraging, the thought of going from indoors to outside really cold dressed up in shorts (i can only work out in shorts, i feel restrained running in any kind of pants), and i just cant get myself out the door sometimes. i dont really like bringing a coat because its not that far and there isnt really any place to put a coat (its a pretty small fitness room). i went today, but i still felt cold, i just get dressed in a tank, workout shorts, and i brought a small jacket with me but its still chilly

I don't understand when people give so many excuses. You don't want to be cold, but you don't want to bundle up? It's okay if you just don't want to go. You don't have to work out to lose weight.

I wish I was so close to a work out room. One day you'll probably be much further ban just a 3 minute walk and you'll wish you'd taken advantage of it.

Again, though... Just say you don't want to go and stay inside where it's warm. :)