Options
124»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who barely feels a difference on a 1200 calorie diet? I mean, sometimes I get a bit more hungry, and then I eat a bit more, but most of the time I feel like I am eating normal portions for my daily needs.

I am starting to get worried that either something is wrong with me, or I am grossly underestimating my calorie intake. -.^
    I find 1200 do-able. It gets a little old after months and months of it, since there's not much room for empty calories like alcohol, desserts, bread, etc. but I'd say it's more boredom than physical discomfort. I've done plenty of 500 calorie days on IF, I know 1200 is plenty.

why is bread an empty calorie?
    Have you ever done 1200? Or 500? Bread isn't that filling or nutritious, comparatively.

But empty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know a lot of people who strive to get more bread or refined carbs in their diet but all kinds of eating works under different scenarios and who know who's goals are what.

no, but I am not a fan of VLCD diets …

carbs are used for energy and are not empty or evil….
    Who said anything about VLCD or evil carbs?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who barely feels a difference on a 1200 calorie diet? I mean, sometimes I get a bit more hungry, and then I eat a bit more, but most of the time I feel like I am eating normal portions for my daily needs.

I am starting to get worried that either something is wrong with me, or I am grossly underestimating my calorie intake. -.^

No, when I was doing 1250 it felt pretty normal. If you are careful in your choices you can eat normal meat portions and high volume (veggies) and I'm basically someone whose mind is convinced by volume that I'm eating a lot.

Once you get used to more flexibility again it can feel too restrictive, though. Before I switched to TDEE method I started getting frustrated with my off days, even after I switched to 1400 base.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of surprised that a dietician would set a low 1300 calories as enough to get nutrition. Did she set a limit of time for that? MFP wanted me to reset my goals after losing the last 10 pounds, which would have put my calories down lower and I said no. I hike a lot so I don't want to decrease my calories unless I absoutely have to, which I would do if I don't lose any weight for a few weeks.
  • Jkj95
    Jkj95 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1650 a day, but I usually eat under that. I'd recommend setting it at something other than 2lbs a week because it might sound good when you first start, but eating 1200 cals a day isn't sustainable for most people.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I feel that way too, and although I religiously log as I eat, I get paranoid that I've missed something!

I think the poster who said she sets hers to maintenance has the right idea and I plan to do that when my houseguests come because I hate the red.

Haha! Glad to know someone feels the same way! :)

Depending on the occasion, I just might not log… yesterday I was at the christmas market with my boyfriend. I thought I'd be careful to both avoid going over and to keep my wallet safe.

Then we found a place selling Schnaps that was giving free shots. And a place giving free mead samples. And a place giving free chocolate and other free food stuffs

Needless to say that particular plan went out the window.

Since it will be the only time this year I do that, I figured I would just leave it for the day. I am not entirely sure what I had anyhow...
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To lose weight without exercising, I probably would have to eat about 1200. I find it unsustainable, and it tends to exacerbate my mental illness (depression) to eat that low a calorie rate, so I kinda have to suck it up and do some pretty serious workouts.

And I expect the exercise also has a positive effect on my issues as well.

I lose pretty well on a combination of pushing myself hard in the pool 4-6 times a week, and about 1680 calories a day.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Lucy020679 wrote: »
    MFP has set my target at 1200 calories. If I'm under I get a warning about not eating enough and if I go over I'm in the red. How far over the 1200 target is acceptable to go? Why can't MFP give a small buffer range like 1200-1300 calories limit. People have said they've set theirs higher, but how do you pick the correct limit for yourself where you would still lose weight?

If you are under 1200 it tells you off, if you go over 1200 it tells you off. If you actually eat exactly 1200 calories, it tells you off (well is red). You can't win, so don't try to, your calorie consumption will vary daily anyway. Reiterating what others have said, 1200 is low anyway and 2 pounds is quite a lot. Why not aim for 1400 + exercise calories? I have mine set as 1270, but I tend to eat around 1400 anyway before exercise calories (if I set it at the higher amount, I'll go over that lol).

Also, eating 1200 calories will make you lose weight, eating anything under maintenance will make you lose weight, just slower. Seeing the red makes me think I am not losing, or am actually putting on weight, but I forget that I am still no where near maintenance. So there isn't a correct limit for losing weight, other than finding out what your maintenance is, then eating ANYTHING under that (within reason to allow for errors).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I find 1200 do-able. It gets a little old after months and months of it, since there's not much room for empty calories like alcohol, desserts, bread, etc. but I'd say it's more boredom than physical discomfort. I've done plenty of 500 calorie days on IF, I know 1200 is plenty.

why is bread an empty calorie?
    Have you ever done 1200? Or 500? Bread isn't that filling or nutritious, comparatively.

But empty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't know a lot of people who strive to get more bread or refined carbs in their diet but all kinds of eating works under different scenarios and who know who's goals are what.

no, but I am not a fan of VLCD diets …

carbs are used for energy and are not empty or evil….

If you're short, or older, or a woman who's both... 1200 isn't VLCD. It's what's needed to lose.

• klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Lucy020679 wrote: »
    Hi Lucy. Not sure how long you've been at it, so if I'm being captain obvious just ignore me.

MFP sets daily calorie limits super low when you opt for the 2 lbs a week. I did 1200 calories for a month and was Hangry all the time. I did lose a bunch of weight. (I'm 5'3 and started at 223. For the sanity of myself and family I dropped it to 1lb a week. That was 9 months ago. I'm currently 189 and still losing. I now get 1440 calories and that seems to be working. Especially, because I generally "earn" another 300-500 daily from exercise.

Personally, I don't like the TDEE method of calculating daily limits because it has your exercise calories in it. I don't always exercise the same amount each week and I love eating back my exercises calories. Makes exercising feel like a reward.

Thank you, I'm 4'11 and 210lbs. Like you I don't exercise the same amount each week. Which is why I was worrying about days when I'm just 'eating'. Today I know I'm going to be under calories, but that's weird for me!

You don't need to exercise to lose weight at your weight honestly. Your very obese. So simply walking around is good enough until you get a lot closer to your optimal weight. Then it will make a much bigger difference. You don't eat back your exercise calories by the way.

My biggest gripe with people who come on here and complain about 1200cal number is that they just simply don't want to do it. Its very doable if you skip a meal. Intermittened fasting is recommended as a means to control both cravings and intake during periods where your trying to drop. Now i'm willing to bet that you haven't given up soda, sugared foods, and high carb stuff like bread and potatoes right? If not, then your setting yourself up for failure.

If you want to lose weight you need to move to a higher fiber/protein/fat and lower carb/calories. Balance is the key when it comes to macros. Now i exercise everyday and at a high intensity so I can still lose weight and eat cake. My average day is nearly 1k calories burned. But i'm in the military and its my job so easy day. But guess what? I skip a meal. I may skip breakfast or lunch. That way I can have a bigger meal which I find more satisfying than having 3 or more little meals a day.