Snack Strategies, Here's Mine, What's Yours?

Options
2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    sdps745 wrote: »
    The Kitchen Safe!!!!! Saw this on a show called "I Want That!" It's GREAT! Store whatever you overeat in it and lock it for a set amount of time and you can not get to it until the time is up!! Have a measured portion and LOCK the rest up!!

that's silly.

Silly? I find it genius. For some of us this may very well be the answer.

Not sure if serious, or just being a light troll.
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    WHEN IM CRAVING SUMTHN SWEET I PUT IT N MY MOUTH CHEW IT UP & THEN SPIT IT OUT. SOUNDS CRAZY BT IT WORKS FA ME. I JUX ENJOY THE TASTE ON MY TONGUE. I ACTUALLY GET MY SUGAR FIX WITHOUT INGESTING IT
  • dbmata
    Options
    That's totally normal.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have my healthier snacks during the day to keep my energy/mood levels up. Then I save my calorie dense easier to over-indulge snacks at the end of the day (like a piece of chocolate or a serving of chips.) I'm usually too full from dinner to eat more than a reasonable amount.

• Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love snacking. It's one of my favourite things. I have divided my snacks into two categories:

Healthy snacks
    1. Apple with peanut butter
    2. Mini carrots with hummus
    3. Mini cucumbers
    4. Any type of fruits
    5. Low fat yogurts
    6. Crackers with guacamole
    7. Nuts (almonds, walnuts etc.)... and many more

Guilt free Unhealthy snacks (I only have these if my cravings become overwhelming)
    1. 100 calorie cookie packets (oreos, chips ahoy)
    2. Brookside chocolates
    3. Any snack type food - 100 calories or less (granola bars, thin chocolate bars)
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    WHEN IM CRAVING SUMTHN SWEET I PUT IT N MY MOUTH CHEW IT UP & THEN SPIT IT OUT. SOUNDS CRAZY BT IT WORKS FA ME. I JUX ENJOY THE TASTE ON MY TONGUE. I ACTUALLY GET MY SUGAR FIX WITHOUT INGESTING IT

Not trying to be rude or anything but this is actually an eating disorder (I used to be anorexic and this was one of the 'tricks' very popular among us). I wouldn't encourage stuff like this, as it's actually potentially harmful to your stomach and not a good thing to get into doing period.
  • dbmata
    Options
    TallyToes wrote: »

Not trying to be rude or anything but this is actually an eating disorder (I used to be anorexic and this was one of the 'tricks' very popular among us). I wouldn't encourage stuff like this, as it's actually potentially harmful to your stomach and not a good thing to get into doing period.
    Yup.

Totally healthy approach to food. >_<
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I'll often do half a portion, like if the portion size on crackers is 30 grams, I'll go for 15 grams of crackers. Just about every snack is less than 100 calories for me that way, lol. And I create room in my calorie budget for more variety.
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I DDNT SAY I SWALLOW IT SO HOW KAN IT B HARMFUL 2 MY STOMACH. I DO NT HV AN EATN DISORDER. I SAID I LIKE THE TASTE OF IT ON MY TONGUE BT I DNT SWALLOW IT. I DNT GO THROW UP
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I DDNT SAY I SWALLOW IT SO HOW KAN IT B HARMFUL 2 MY STOMACH. I DO NT HV AN EATN DISORDER. I SAID I LIKE THE TASTE OF IT ON MY TONGUE BT I DNT SWALLOW IT. I DNT GO THROW UP

Because when you are chewing food, it is sending a signal to your stomach that it is about to get food. Therefore, your stomach starts building up acid in order to digest it. But when you do not swallow it, you are leaving your stomach empty and only with acid in it, which can be harmful to the lining of your stomach. Also, digestion starts in the mouth. Even if you do not swallow your food, you are still taking in some calories regardless.

It's an eating disorder because it's an unhealthy, obsessive approach to food. Instead of learning how to moderate, you are just trying to find ways to avoid eating food. It's not healthy mentally or physically, so please do try to stop.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Because you need to throw it up to have an eating disorder?
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

You do know digestion begins at the mouth? Salivary amylase begins to break down carbs into glucose for absorption. You're still getting calories from carbs even if you spit out the rest of the food. :trollface:
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way with queso/cheese dip - you know, that stuff with velveeta and rotel? I'm addicted. I don't keep it in the house at all, unless it's a special occasion (my grandmother used to make it for Thanksgiving, so we eat it once a year). I am, thankfully, not that interested in sweets like cookies or cake, but for me it makes a difference to eat one cookie that's much better quality. For example, if I buy ice cream (rare), I like it to be really high quality pure chocolate. I only need a few bites because the richness satisfies my sweet tooth more than 20 oreos. If you need sweets, I'd say go for the best quality you can afford and really spend time savoring how delicious it is (I know, I know - easier said than done!). Unfortunately for me, there is not a "premium" cheese dip!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use cookies as add-ins. I'll buy a pack of 6 oreos, put one in a plastic baggie, bring it to work and crush it up into my greek yogurt with PB2. When my friends look at my diary they ask how I ate one oreo. That's how.