Is walking 30 minutes a day really benefical?

Options
I have been going back and forth on this. What do you think?

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Yes! Helps your cardiovascular system. Will it make you lose weight? Depends on how much you eat.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    It's better than sitting, that's for sure. If you can push yourself to sweat, even better.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Ofc it is because its using your cv system and its burning calories. There is nothing to go back and forth on. When you are ready then you can step it up into more strenuous exercise, which will burn more calories and provide greater health benefits.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters; it is always beneficial to walk due to many reasons. The biggest reason I can think of is that is gets you in the habit of exercising. Then, as someone else has said, you can move up the intensity.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Throwing in my 2 cents as someone for whom higher impact forms of cardio are contraindicated. Walking is great! If you're doing it outside, you can quicken your pace or look for hills to get your heart rate up. If you're using a treadmill, you can increase the incline and even work intervals with drastic incline increases for a really good challenge.

As someone else already said, it sure beats sitting on the couch.
  • Christineclendaniel
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes. This is how I began my health journey!!
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes and yes. This is how I began my health journey!!

Same here! I love walking. Something is better than nothing, and I did a lot of nothing!
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of walking does so much for me. I am trying to lose weight, but with that said. I can be in the CRAPPIEST of crabby moods and I just say to my husband, " I need to walk" and I come back a completely different person, really. The air, the movement, the outdoors, is truly healing.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Better than sitting still, that's for sure.
    But not as good as walking for longer, or doing higher-intensity exercise (walking up hills, elliptical, walking faster, etc.).
    Ya gotta start somewhere.
    The first time I was on a treadmill (starting getting healthy & losing weight back in JAN) I think I went for 5 minutes at maybe 2 - 2.5 mph. I felt pretty pathetic. But I went back & did it again, and again, and added a minute, and added incline, and now I can do 90 minutes of hills (just above 50% intensity).
    And along the way I've lost 70 lb & gotten into pretty good shape, cardiovascular-wise. :smile:

51637601.png
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Walking boosts mood and energy, improves cardiovascular health and is something you can do for the rest of your life:)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It's great for you. Mentally and physically!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Yes. When I first started losing weight that was my only form of exercise. Let's just say I was really really out of shape. I still go on walks now. It's a great way to get in a light cardio workout and spend time with family. In 30 mins, I can walk almost 2 miles now (while pushing a stroller...haven't done a solo walk in awhile and I usually move faster when I'm alone).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You're going back and forth on if doing something is better than doing nothing?
  • theskyrimjedi
    theskyrimjedi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    haha, good point DavPul
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's great. Good for your body and your soul.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It was certainly beneficial to me. Lowered my blood pressure, lowered my anxiety, improved my mood, improved mental clarity, and I'm certain it helped me drop the pounds quicker. I quit walking for about a month when it got cold and I started a new job. My weight loss slowed a bit. Picked back up when I started again.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think it is... I usually walk 20-30 minutes a day and I can tell a difference when I do it consistently.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    It was certainly beneficial to me. Lowered my blood pressure, lowered my anxiety, improved my mood, improved mental clarity, and I'm certain it helped me drop the pounds quicker. I quit walking for about a month when it got cold and I started a new job. My weight loss slowed a bit. Picked back up when I started again.

Best contribution on this thread. I'm sold :smile:
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of walking does so much for me. I am trying to lose weight, but with that said. I can be in the CRAPPIEST of crabby moods and I just say to my husband, " I need to walk" and I come back a completely different person, really. The air, the movement, the outdoors, is truly healing.
    Yes do it.... One of the best ways to get you started I totally agree.
  • flangelier
    flangelier Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yup! For me, I lost so much on my thighs I can wear skirts again without being self-conscious! Since I have no walking buddy in my area, I listen to audiobooks, music, or catch up on my phone calls to friends. I take a long detour to get to work and back to the terminus, and before I know it I walked 30-60 minutes by the time my day is over.