Need to loose 80 pounds to donate part of my liver to my son

Options
Nice to meet you all!

Long story short, my 6 month old son has liver disease, and he will need to have a liver transplant. Right now he is listed for a deceased donor, but there are more people needing transplants than there are livers, so he may not receive one in time.

What many people do not know, is that the liver will actually regenerate itself, and people can donate parts of their liver to people who need transplants. After travelling to Toronto to meet with a team of surgeons, and after having many tests performed on myself and my son, we have determined that I am a potential match, but I need to loose upwards of 80 pounds before we can undergo transplant.

I've yo-yo'd with diets and exercise my whole life, but this time I need to stick with it. Immediately after coming home, I began to exercise and eat healthier/eat less. Last week I stumbled across this site/app, and man this place is awesome!

I'm able to track what I am eating, and I feel that I will be able to achieve my goals easier. So far I am down 10 pounds. We have to travel back to Toronto in Feb for my son to have a check up, and I will be hopefully meeting with the surgeons again to see if I have lost enough weight.

I look forward to many successes!

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Omg I can't even imagine. To say good luck doesn't seem adequate. I'm happy to help any way I can......
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    You can do this. What better incentive for weight loss than to save your dear sweet son. I am rooting for you. That is the most precious gift you could ever give anyone.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you!! We are all rooting for you!!
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You have possibly the most important incentive anyone could have (even being a mom I still can't imagine what you are going through), and this site is a great tool for achieving that. Best wishes and our prayers for you both. I have no doubt you can do it.
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    welcome to the best support system I have found. funny how a bunch of people you have never actually met can be so amazing to have in your life. so come on dad, I know you can do this, but more importantly, that little guy you are holding knows it too.
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Talk about motivation!!! You got this daddy!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You can do this! For the health of both of you. Good luck!
  • pizzagirl007
    pizzagirl007 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    God bless you and your son..I am praying for you and your family. I know you'll be able to get the weight off.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Go get it! You have the best reason I've ever seen to lose weight!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You really can. Please get an accurate digital scale to weigh your food. That will really help you. Wishing you and your family all the best.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I wish you success with your goal, and my heart goes out to you and your family. I can't even imagine what you are going through. Take care and remain positive, you can do this!
  • Ainevethe
    Ainevethe Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Rooting for you! Love is the greatest motivator of all. You can do this!
  • Serendipity5215
    Serendipity5215 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You have deeply touched my heart with your story... I have two children, and I cannot imagine the difficult of your situation! MFP is a great site and there are many supportive people on here... glad that you're here! :)
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You have me in tears. I lost my big brother who was on the transplant list (as an adult) but didn't get it in time. I am a huge supporter of transplants and wish you strength and success in your endeavor so you may have many years with your little one as he grows.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Speechless. What a terrible thing to have to go through, but I admire the hell out of your spirit and determination. I wish you so much success. You can do this!
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Omg, I can't even imagine. You can do this—for your son and for yourself!
  • kanerz14
    kanerz14 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    All the very best. You will do this:)
  • JeffHillyardNL
    JeffHillyardNL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, I wasn't expecting that kind of support so quickly, as well as all the friend requests. Thank you everyone!
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oh. My God. My heart goes out to you and your family. You've got this, daddy!
  • thintrest
    thintrest Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    this is amazing. i really hope this works out, and your son is okay! youll be in my thoughts!