Using a mantra to keep motivated

Options
Hi, I just wanted to share that I'm approaching my 50 th birthday next year and really want to get in good shape. That means I need to lose about 10-15 pounds prior to that (March of 2016 will be my 50th birthday month). I really want to lose the weight and stay healthy for life. In fact, my goal is to take a vacation to Hawaii to celebrate that monumental birthdate and feel comfortable enought to wear a 2 piece bathing suit. I heard another fitness guru suggest that a mantra can help keep you motivated.

Mine is:
Do something today that your future self will thank you for.

I'd be interested to see if any others out there have a mantra or slogan that helps keep them focused. Please share.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's mine, because I needed to find something to occupy my mind when I was swimming laps. Can't browse the internet in the pool just yet. Technology will catch up eventually.
    1. Life is good
    2. Listen first
    3. Share what you know
    4. Reverence life
    5. Stand tall
    6. Food is lovely
    7. Leave a legacy
    8. Seek Win-Win
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    For me, Nike said it best: Just do it!

Don't feel like sticking to my meal plan? JUST DO IT!
    Don't have the inspiration to make a meal plan for tomorrow? JUST DO IT!
    Don't seem motivated to work out? JUST DO IT!
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    "Pain is temporary, but I'm glorious forever!" Also, the Rocky song gets me going when I don't think I have any more left.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I find Chris Hadfield very motivating, and he has some criticism for motivational gurus who speak of visualization but little about the actions that get us there.

"It's puzzling to me that so many self-help gurus urge people to visualize victory and stop there... Anticipating problems and figuring out how to solve them is the opposite of worrying: it's productive. Likewise, coming up with a plan of action isn't a waste of time if it gives you peace of mind."

http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2013/10/29/6-poignant-life-lessons-from-chris-hadfield/
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I heard a good one from Jillian Michaels that really hit home for me: "Transformation is a present activity. It is not a future event."

Dr. Phil also had a good one "The puropse of eating is to nourish your body" I tell myself that one if I want to eat something bad.
  • Jasper_Thinkington
    Options
    "It's just food." When I'm hungry and have already reached my max intake or it isn't when I want to eat I say, "It's just food", it's just a signal from tongue to brain. It won't make me happy and I'll be pissed that I went over or broke schedule.

"You're NOT going to die." Obviously this may not be the case for some people, but I have no health conditions. So when the pain is there and comes at me and starts messing with me/my mind, whether in the gym or out on a run, I just tell myself that "You're NOT going to die", this is temporary and just a feeling and like anything else can be dealt with/overcome/ pushed through.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    "Fight for fit." Like, one more rep, five more minutes of cardio, etc.

And while it isn't quite a mantra, "are you really hungry?" gets repeated enough in my head that it may as well be.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    These are all great! Thanks for sharing! Some of the most simple can be most impactful. I like the Jillian Michael's one too! Good stuff!
  • Morriganmum
    Morriganmum Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    "Tomorrow starts today." Also my avatar: Keep calm and carry on.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wicked corny, an older "Biggest Loser" theme song. "What have you done today to make you feel proud?" Helped me lose 44 pounds.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    "Don't think. Just do"
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mine is a little long and I just said this to someone to help motivate them after falling off the wagon.

"Ya know, for me, being overweight and unhealthy was like an abusive relationship. It takes several times leaving and going back and then one day you wake up or something happens and you KNOW you're done. That enough is enough. And you just buckle down and do the hardest thing in the world. You leave FOR GOOD. Your abuser has convinced you that you can't live without this or that, that you're not good enough. But it's not true. You ARE! Dare yourself to be worthy! Dare something worthy today, because you ARE worth it! Enough of the abuse. Love yourself."

I guess, moral is, 1) Stop the abuse. 2) Dare something worthy today.
    Also, another have for those that do workout videos: "Keep pushing play!"
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There is a guy who shouts his mantra out on the treadmill at the gym whenever I see him. It goes 'Come on, come on don't be pathetic, woo woo you can do this woo woo" Its a sight to behold believe me.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    Oh, these are keeping me inspired!! BeckyNaturoMommy, yours is awesome and so true. In other words, make yourself a priority. It's kind of like the concept of "you have to give yourself oxygen first (on and airplane in an emergency) before you can help others". Thanks everyone for sharing. I love it.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    Oh, and gemmamummy, I think I would have a good belly laugh watching someone shout out loud their mantra while on the treadmill. That's hilarious.
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    kgangl1028 wrote: »
    Oh, these are keeping me inspired!! BeckyNaturoMommy, yours is awesome and so true. In other words, make yourself a priority. It's kind of like the concept of "you have to give yourself oxygen first (on and airplane in an emergency) before you can help others". Thanks everyone for sharing. I love it.

It is SO TRUE! I have been in an abusive relationship and I realized I went through the same cycle. Yo-yoing up and down. Taking care of myself and then not caring anymore. Not caring was my abuse on myself.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    So great that you were able to rise above that and realize that was not the direction you wanted to go....So, you are taking control of your life! Way to go.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    dae4b9ef693573dd5c8d3558c226db2538df38b7499a313a0a2b92bb397a0c2e.jpg
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    zyxst, this is hilarious!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight.