the "eating when you're not hungry" dilemma

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options
    This is a good post. I think the one thing it left me thinking is that this it more important (eat those exercise calories) if you are running a large deficit close to 1200 for women or 1500 for men. If you deficit is small (say a goal of .5 pounds a week or maybe even 1 pound per week) you have more flexibility here unless it was a killer workout with a huge burn. If it was what seems like a more average burn 300-500 calories, with that smaller deficit you have a good deal of wiggle room. When you are pushing the deficit with a 1.5 or 2 pound per week loss, you don't have that room to work with and have to find ways to eat those calories.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    This is a good post. I think the one thing it left me thinking is that this it more important (eat those exercise calories) if you are running a large deficit close to 1200 for women or 1500 for men. If you deficit is small (say a goal of .5 pounds a week or maybe even 1 pound per week) you have more flexibility here unless it was a killer workout with a huge burn. If it was what seems like a more average burn 300-500 calories, with that smaller deficit you have a good deal of wiggle room. When you are pushing the deficit with a 1.5 or 2 pound per week loss, you don't have that room to work with and have to find ways to eat those calories.

I agree with this to an extent. But most of the people who have a conservative deficit NEED a conservative deficit because they don't have much to lose (I'm mostly talking of .5 lb here). And, let's face it, the number of people who put in a lower deficit rather than higher are kinda few and far between. :laugh: But most of the folks who do use a lower deficit have so little body fat that they're just as, if not more, vulnerable to the effects of underfeeding. Obviously not a problem for a day, but over time a real issue.
  • bethanna91
    bethanna91 Posts: 63
    Options
    thank you!
  • locomotion
    locomotion Posts: 67
    Options
    bump
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,226 Member
    Options

I agree with this to an extent. But most of the people who have a conservative deficit NEED a conservative deficit because they don't have much to lose (I'm mostly talking of .5 lb here). And, let's face it, the number of people who put in a lower deficit rather than higher are kinda few and far between. :laugh: But most of the folks who do use a lower deficit have so little body fat that they're just as, if not more, vulnerable to the effects of underfeeding. Obviously not a problem for a day, but over time a real issue.

That is true, although I wish more people who are in the Overweight BMI would switch to 1Lb/week. It would get rid of a lot of the plateau posts that litter this message board. I switched close to when I entered the over weight category and I don't regret it at all. I now am within 5 of my goal (give or take a bit) and I will probably reduce the goal again although the formula I am using is not MFP's as I prefer basing my calorie intake on my lean mass, but it will be more calories per day and MFP will tell me what the weight loss/week would be from it.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

That is true, although I wish more people who are in the Overweight BMI would switch to 1Lb/week. It would get rid of a lot of the plateau posts that litter this message board. I switched close to when I entered the over weight category and I don't regret it at all. I now am within 5 of my goal (give or take a bit) and I will probably reduce the goal again although the formula I am using is not MFP's as I prefer basing my calorie intake on my lean mass, but it will be more calories per day and MFP will tell me what the weight loss/week would be from it.

Without a doubt, the (maddening) overall desire for most is a higher deficit, when a good portion of them should be lower. And even many who are ok to start out at 2 lbs or 1.5, don't lower it as soon as they should.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    thats really helpful, thanks :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Go banks. And Ladyhawk.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Awesome.
    A big bump and a hell yeah! :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    nice. siemec links updated :)
  • Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Options
    Bump! Thanks always helpful posts !! :)
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump for later x
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    So, so, so glad you tackled this issue. "Listen to your body" is one of the most maddening responses I see posted throughout these forums. Very glad to have a science-based, reasoned explanation as to why many of us simply can't hear what our bodies are saying, and need to follow the plan. Excellent info on planning burns based on maintenance calories, too!
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    This is great. Thanks!
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks for another great post. Very informative!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this. It's not only great information, but also a real relief to know I'm not alone or crazy for not trusting what I think my body is telling me sometimes.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump