Heart problems? Low heart rate? What's your story?

Options
Hey guys,

So it came to my attention that my heart rate is unusually low...like, resting rate is in the high 40s to mid 50s, and I'm far from being an athlete. Add occasional heart palpitations and family history of issues (my dad died of a congenital heart defect) and I decided to get it checked out as a precaution.

So, I just did the Holter monitor, and will have an echo done Wednesday, and will get the results Christmas eve. I've been assured that chances are I just hit the genetic jackpot with a very healthy heart, but it's better safe than sorry, hence all the tests.

For those of you diagnosed with heart problems, how did you find out? Did something happen which led you to have it checked, or was it something your doc noticed during a routine exam? And what then? Surgery, medication, yearly checkups? Did any of you suspect something was wrong, or have your doc suspect, and it turned out to be nothing?

I'm not panicking, as there most likely isn't a reason to, but I would like to arm myself with a bit of info just in case. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    No experience - just wishing you the best of luck! I hope it's nothing serious.
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had to get a pacemaker when I was 18. I had a resting heart rate of 37-38 BPM. I have second degree heart block. Doc said I could have dropped dead at any moment! Hopefully you won't have any issues! I was tired all the time as a kid and never knew why! But turns out it was my heart. I could never run the mile in the fitness test at school so I would get a note from my mom. I would tell the gym teacher my chest hurt real bad and she would tell me to keep running! I'm glad I didn't listen! I feel like a new woman now!! Hope everything goes well for you!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I was prepping for bariatric surgery in order to control my diabetes and a cardiogram was one of the check-off items. They found something called a Right Branch Bundle Block and called me back in. The second time, they found a Left Anterior Fascicular Block but no Right Branch Bundle Block. So, one more time, back in -- this time with nuclear dye. And the final verdict was no Left Anterior Fascicular Block but I did have a Right Branch Bundle Block and the nuclear study showed it was nothing to worry about. I have no restrictions nor limitations and nothing to worry about in the future. I just need to remember that I have it so that in future EKGs it isn't thought of as something new.

When that was happening, I had just started losing weight on MyFitnessPal and had started walking 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes. Since then, I've logged just under 300 miles in walking and hiking and I've lost a total of almost 80 lbs..

The surgery was on hold during all of these tests, during which I lost a significant amount of weight. When I was cleared by the cardiologist, I decided to continue losing weight on MFP and walking. My diabetes came under total control, no drugs or insulin needed any longer. My surgery is now canceled.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Holter monitor, echo, congenital heart defect...you speak my language!

I was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect when I was 3 days old. I've had 4 open heart surgeries, echos, catherizations, blah, blah, blah. lol. Basically one of my arteries and one of my veins didn't separate correctly, so the oxygenated/deoxygenated blood were mixing and it was a bad time. So now I have a cow's vein. Makes for a good story, if anything. Now I just get yearly checkups and take low-dose aspirin every day to keep my blood all flowy.

I'm actually on MFP because I was getting tired of my doctor telling me that I was living life all wrong and seriously, I should watch what I'm eating and get some exercise. He scheduled a stress test for me at the beginning of August 2015 and I work out at least a half hour daily because I want to kick that stress test's *kitten*. If anything, I think that you will be advised to watch how you feel when you exercise and make sure you're eating right (which you are clearly doing if you are on this site). Nevertheless, I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing the test results are crystal clear! :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Hope all is well.

Just letting you know, I always had a low resting hr, even when I was obese. I now have a rhr of 45-50 and during workouts I max out at about 165. I had friends, who were fitter than me with heartrates that were / are much higher.

I think, it's good you get your check up, then you'll know.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was born with a heart problem. Up until I was 18 I had regular cardiac check ups. When I was pregnant they monitored me more closely. My dad had a heart transplant in May 1994 (and he's still alive and stubborn as heck to live as long as he can). My son was born with a heart problem also (pulmonary stenosis). Both my son and I were restricted at times with regards to exercise. When he was a baby he could not be left to cry ... so he was spoiled a bit as a young child. Twice in my life I had more severe cardiac problems. Once when I developed Graves' disease (related to the thyroid) and my heart rate a rest was 190. I was put on propranolol until I had rai treatment for my thyroid. Everything returned to "my" normal. About seven years later my bp skyrocketed for no reason (everything came back negative -bloodwork, scans, multitudes of tests). It was during this time that I put on 70 lbs as I could do nothing, as the drs could not control my bp even with 3 bp meds... so I say around and got fat. Then a year and a half after it skyrocketed, it went back to my normal ... Again for no reason. That was a year and a half ago and am off of many many drugs. My hr and bp is low, although I'm not restricted in any way. I've had Echo's and treadmill tests to reassure my doctor and myself that I can do whatever I want. Although we have our heart problems for life, I have no fear for our future well being.

I guess to encourage you, that whatever the results of your tests, know that medical technology has advanced so much over the years that even if you have a problem, they can help you to live a fairly normal life. Hopefully your results will come back as normal and that you just have a healthy low "normal for you" heart rate. Try not to stress. *hugs
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. It's reassuring to know that even if something actually is wrong, it's still most likely not going to be a life-altering thing.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My resting rate has been consistently under 55, since losing weight in the past two years. I used to have a much higher heart rate, somewhere around 95+ when I was overweight. Not sure if this change is normal. I'm also going to get a full body checkup to ensure nothing's wrong with me. Good luck, OP! I hope all is well with you.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    So I got my results this morning, and apparently I won the coronary jackpot after all. My heart is super healthy, abnormally healthy, phenomenally healthy considering my (poor) level of athleticism.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    So I got my results this morning, and apparently I won the coronary jackpot after all. My heart is super healthy, abnormally healthy, phenomenally healthy considering my (poor) level of athleticism.

You got to love some genetics right. I'm glad everything worked out. Heart problems are no joking matter.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You got to love some genetics right. I'm glad everything worked out. Heart problems are no joking matter.

Especially since my dad died at the age of 30 from complications with open heart surgery to correct a congenital heart defect. It was his 3rd such surgery. It's almost bizarre that I should have the complete opposite luck.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Especially since my dad died at the age of 30 from complications with open heart surgery to correct a congenital heart defect. It was his 3rd such surgery. It's almost bizarre that I should have the complete opposite luck.

Genes skip generations sometimes. Lot of my cousins already have high blood pressure. I have the most body fat out of all of them and recently had 118 /82 which I was like is this 82# a bad thing. Even when I weighed 240, 260 my blood pressure was always 120/80.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

That is great news! I am in somewhat of the same boat..

I am (unfortunately, now a former) a long distance runner. My RHR has been recorded as low as 37 while sleeping.

My problems all started with random dizziness / getting light-headed. This past August, my wife found me on the back patio, blacked out, with my eyes wide open. This lead to a five day vacation at the hospital.

While there, they recorded several abnormal arrhythmias. Heart cath, EP study, tilt table test, echo, ultrasound, neuro, etc. was all normal. The found no cause and could not trigger an event.

While wearing the portable, they found several more episodes. I am now on continuous monitoring and had a loop monitor installed in October. It syncs up to my cardiologist's office every morning at 2 a.m.

Episodes are less with a daily beta blocker, but still no answers here.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

I am (unfortunately, now a former) a long distance runner. My RHR has been recorded as low as 37 while sleeping.

My problems all started with random dizziness / getting light-headed. This past August, my wife found me on the back patio, blacked out, with my eyes wide open. This lead to a five day vacation at the hospital.

While there, they recorded several abnormal arrhythmias. Heart cath, EP study, tilt table test, echo, ultrasound, neuro, etc. was all normal. The found no cause and could not trigger an event.

While wearing the portable, they found several more episodes. I am now on continuous monitoring and had a loop monitor installed in October. It syncs up to my cardiologist's office every morning at 2 a.m.

Bizarre! I hope they find an answer! I know the not waiting and not knowing is almost worse than some sort of bad news. At least if you have an answer, you can do something about it.
  • lohkin
    lohkin Posts: 43 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Great news!
    Abbey - I also have a chd that was discovered at birth, an atrial/septal defect. It was repaired with open heart in 1984. I'm guessing you're younger than me? :p I've done those stress tests a few times, so I relate to your goal of kicking it's butt. Good luck!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Bizarre! I hope they find an answer! I know the not waiting and not knowing is almost worse than some sort of bad news. At least if you have an answer, you can do something about it.

Thanks. You are exactly right.. Even if it is bad news, I'd rather know about it so we can start moving forward with some type of corrective action.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Make sure you are satisfied with your doctors' answers.

I had told the doctors for almost 7 years that I thought I had congestive heart failure because of lots of swelling in my legs, etc, but they wouldn't listen. Formally active, thin me couldn't walk very far, climb stairs, and I gained 100 pounds in 8 months. Their answer, exercise more and lose weight.

Wrong answer! ( I just couldn't exercise without serious shortness of breath and fatigue. And your body will slow its metabolism way down when your heart does not function properly to keep your vital organs functioning.)

I won't go into my whole story, but I finally hit a wall and just felt very, very strange, so I went to a different doctor, she took an ECG and she sent me immediately to the emergency room. I had an ejection fraction of 15. The cardiologist had them do it again and he couldn't believe that it was so low and yet I had been doing a very active job and never missing work. I was diagnosed with HF, cardiomyopathy, tachycardia, and long qt syndrome. I was given dire warnings to call squad if I felt dizzy or faint as I was a prime candidate for sudden death. I was given only a 1 in 3 chance of surviving 5 years. I was not allowed to exercise, but I did continue to work.

They started me on a regimen of medications, but nothing would bring my EF up beyond
    30. At the end of 2010, they gave me a pacemaker/CRT/defibrillator implant. The CRT portion really improved my EF.

At the end of last year, my rheumatoid arthritis went into remission, too. I could really start to workout. I have lost 75 pounds on MFP (83 total). Best of all, with the CRT portion of the implant and the fitness workouts, my EF is now 60. That is normal. I still have to watch for the HF water weight. I still sometimes get tachy and I try not to raise my heart rate above fat-fitness burning levels. I limit my water intake and take my meds faithfully.

There is also a few morals to this story:
    1. I should have pursued a diagnosis to my problem better rather than listening to the first doctor.
    2. Weight gain CAN be a symptom of problems, not the cause of problems.
    3. MFP forum posters seem to always tell people who are experiencing water weight gain to drink more water. If those people have undiagnosed HF, more water is probably the last thing they should do. A small gain for pre-menopausal women can be normal, large gains for post-menopausal may not be.

56604121.png
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    I was prepping for bariatric surgery in order to control my diabetes and a cardiogram was one of the check-off items. They found something called a Right Branch Bundle Block and called me back in. The second time, they found a Left Anterior Fascicular Block but no Right Branch Bundle Block. So, one more time, back in -- this time with nuclear dye. And the final verdict was no Left Anterior Fascicular Block but I did have a Right Branch Bundle Block and the nuclear study showed it was nothing to worry about. I have no restrictions nor limitations and nothing to worry about in the future. I just need to remember that I have it so that in future EKGs it isn't thought of as something new.

When that was happening, I had just started losing weight on MyFitnessPal and had started walking 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes. Since then, I've logged just under 300 miles in walking and hiking and I've lost a total of almost 80 lbs..

The surgery was on hold during all of these tests, during which I lost a significant amount of weight. When I was cleared by the cardiologist, I decided to continue losing weight on MFP and walking. My diabetes came under total control, no drugs or insulin needed any longer. My surgery is now canceled.

Awesome story/results funchords. Thanks for sharing it.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    No experience - just wishing you the best of luck! I hope it's nothing serious.

Same here and hope you get good news today.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    After reading through these I want to say thanks to all that shared. I am impressed how you have faced large heart concerns.