Bulking but HUNGRY and gaining too fast :-(

Options
I am a couple of months into my first bulk, and have a problem:
I am so damn hungry all the time, but if I increase my calorie target above the current level my weight shoots up way beyond what I can reasonably gain as muscle.

I am a woman, so can't put on muscle as fast as the men (jealous - you bet!) so am bulking with an aim of about half a lb per week.

I upped calories from maintenance of about 1,900 but just got hungrier and hungrier. Currently on 2,500 but still genuinely hungry all the time.

Has anyone else found this happens, and does the hunger settle down?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating plenty of protein, and I'd suggest you stop eating dinner and split all your calories between two big 1250 calorie meals, that should definitely help with the hunger problem.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you're a couple of months in already, what have been your results so far?

Hopefully experienced bulkers will chime in, but I thought that as a bulk progresses, you can up those cals a bit.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on your cardio. You don't need an hour on the stair master or elliptical, in addition to your lifting, if you truly want to bulk. The days that you only do 10-20 min. are probably ok.
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I started bulking on Sep 1st, and was upping calories by 100 if no weight gain. Overall have gained 2.3kg, but most of that gain has been in the last 6 weeks.

I aim for a 35% protein 45% carb 20% fat split, as I find I need my carbs to function. Not sure I could manage just having two meals per day - I am a grazer by nature!
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Why is fat so low?
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Mostly just because I need the protein and carbs to be high, so fat ends up being lower % by default.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you're putting on too much excess weight you don't need that many calories.

It's ok be feel hungry.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Fat can be fairly satiating, so you could try upping it a bit. Protein could be reduced a bit.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Why is fat so low?

Agree. I don't know your stats but I have my fat at 30% - gives me 80g. Would that work for you? It's worth a shot as fat is quite filling. Also, try to get some carbs that are heavy on fibre (not saying 'eat clean' but more fibre should fill you up).

I can definitely sympathise - I went a bit daft on my first bulk and gained too fast, you'll just need to try to be strict with yourself.

Bear in mind, it could just be fluctuations - I'm all over the place, weight wise, ATM.

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Mostly just because I need the protein and carbs to be high, so fat ends up being lower % by default.

Protein isn't actually that big of a thing while bulking - your body can only process so much. As long as you're hitting more than 0.8g per lb, you should have plenty.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »

Protein isn't actually that big of a thing while bulking - your body can only process so much. As long as you're hitting more than 0.8g per lb, you should have plenty.

It's not that your body can't process all that protein, if that were the case you'd throw up/have violent diarrhea if you ate more protein than that. It's because your body can only utilize a certain amount of protein for muscle synthesis.
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    I get really confused about protein. Some places say 0.8g/lb, others up to 3g/lb. I am getting in about 1.5 g/lb, sometimes more, sometimes less.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you cut the cardio you can likely get by with less carbs.
  • RaouiDuke
    RaouiDuke Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1.5 g/lb is definitely excessive, you don't need that much protein for optimal results. Available research shows that 0.8 - 1 g/lb is more than sufficient. You should definitely raise your fat intake instead.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    ^As mentioned, you could definitely cut your protein. Fat at 50g is fine but you could add more carbs and/or fat while lowering protein, see what seems to fill you up and keep you satisfied. I would definitely cut if not eliminated cardio.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    One of the things that I do is 16:8 IF. It helps me control calories, otherwise I way overeat. If I don't start eating until 11, there's less time in the day for me to stuff my face LOL
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I get really confused about protein. Some places say 0.8g/lb, others up to 3g/lb. I am getting in about 1.5 g/lb, sometimes more, sometimes less.

3g is Broscience only. 1g is more than enough and .45g of fat seems to be a typical recommendation with the rest carbs.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

3g is Broscience only. 1g is more than enough and .45g of fat seems to be a typical recommendation with the rest carbs.

This.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    One of the things that I do is 16:8 IF. It helps me control calories, otherwise I way overeat. If I don't start eating until 11, there's less time in the day for me to stuff my face LOL

^^^^This^^^^ Intermittent Fasting 16:8 has really helped me stick to the intake I have set. I thought I might miss breakfast, but I don't. There may be a twinge if someone else is cooking something that smells good, but otherwise, I am good till noon. Some days I am chomping at the bit by the time noon rolls around but others I am fine till later. It was almost 1:30 yesterday before I ate my first meal.

I do not know this from personal experience but just from what I have researched protein is not as important when bulking. Carbs and Fat are king when bulking. Protein is still very satiating, but obviously being satiated isn't as important when you are bulking since you are eating above maintenance. Carbs are very important for muscle repair and the fat is really important for hormone levels.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Being satiated is important.

In this case the exact problem is that the OP isn't satiated. Consequently satiation is an issue.

OP:

The first thing I would look at would be food selection. What portion of your intake comes from minimally refined and whole foods?

How many servings of fibrous vegetables and fruit are you eating and what's your total fiber intake at daily?

If you are constantly grazing I would consider reducing the snacks and eating larger meals. You may not need to go down to 2 meals but if you are grazing all day, reduce that and eat much larger meals to drive satiety up.