The Banks plan

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    FYI

the ACSM has also modified their training recommendations for adults (ironically, it basically falls in line with my re-positioning, go figure:tongue: )

http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home_Page&TEMPLATE=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=7764
  • atucker_mom
    atucker_mom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    great info!!
    thanks for sharing Banks.... =)
  • ashade44
    ashade44 Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump! Helpful info, thanks :)
  • oksuga
    oksuga Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JsGirl93
    JsGirl93 Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Tagging for later...
  • gyrox1992
    gyrox1992 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How many carbs do you recommend eating per day? I usually walk 2 hours a day.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    How many carbs do you recommend eating per day? I usually walk 2 hours a day.

I don't. Carbs are a personal choice, for someone not on a specific "low carb" plan it's usually anywhere from 35 to 60% of your total macronutrient totals, for instance, I'm about 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat but it could be higher, or lower. It's not really as important to get a specific amount of carbs as to make sure of two things, 1) to eat the right amount of calories for your plan and 2) to make sure the macros you do eat are healthy ones (I.E. complex carbs, good fats...etc.)

to be clear, I don't really have a problem with the "low carb" craze that's out there, I just don't think it's necessary for most people, and to that end I find it something that makes weight loss and becoming healthy just that much more difficult. Some folks function better with low carb, because of either a perceived carb addiction, or some kind of imbalance in the body, but that's not as common as most think. Like any "diet plan", I feel that low carb is a crutch and potentially an excuse for failure. I.E. "I was low carb, but I just couldn't keep doing it, it was so hard." and things like that, see it all the time on here.
  • locomotion
    locomotion Posts: 67
    Options
    bump for later
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    awesome advice!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thought it was a pretty good article.

But I'm skeptical on the ripping up- use lighter weight more reps.
    Thought this myth was disspelled long ago.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thought it was a pretty good article.

But I'm skeptical on the ripping up- use lighter weight more reps.
    Thought this myth was disspelled long ago.

I guess the devil would be in the details there.

I know the myth you're thinking of, and you're right, lifting light weight and lots of reps isn't going to do much for you anaerobically.

But I said lightER weight and MORE reps, not light weight and lots of reps. The difference being the qualifier, I.E. if you follow along the original pattern, I talk about technical failure as an alternative. So basically I'm saying, instead of doing 3 to 5 rep to failure maximums, I'm talking about doing 10 to 12 rep set maximums (I.E. instead of doing 85 to 90% of 1RM, you're doing 75 to 80% 1RM), which basically will activate every muscle fiber in your muscle (eventually) but won't necessarily stimulate large growth (there will be some, but not as much).

I wasn't very clear, sorry about that. For a more clear description, this follows pretty closely to the NSCA "Strength Training" book by Lee Brown, you can pick it up at any B&N. It's a pretty good book and goes over all this stuff in pretty simple detail.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ^^I get what you're saying now.

I was like oh god, here we go again hahaha.
    Yes, as opposed to a really low rep routine, you'd be better off.
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump... :)
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    excellent :happy: bump to read again and again
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Good reading; must save. :smile: