earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    hard stools are a sign of constipation

increase your daily intake of fibre to at least 30g day (you can track this on MFP I personally switched out sugar for fibre tracking). Raspberries are great as are vegetables and cereals.

Add some bulking agents, such as wheat bran, to your diet. These will help make your stools softer and easier to pass.

Avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of water.

Try to get more exercise.

My fiber seems to be about 7grams or less most days, so should I imediately increase to 30, or go slow and add a few grams each day?

Unfortunately I'm allergic (anaphylaxis) to wheat which is why it is likely so low.

Do you like nuts? A handful or two of almonds really helps me when things slow down a little. They are a great source of fiber (4 grams per ounce) as well as healthy fat, both of which help move things along.

A recent illness, with or without medication, can do a number on the intestinal flora. Do you eat yogurt? Try adding some but make sure it has the active cultures in it. That can help restore the healthy digestive bacteria.

I do like nuts. I don't have any in the house right now, but can certainly add them to shopping list for tomorrow.

I do eat yogurt. I eat chobani Greek yogurt since most other yogurts tend to have artificial dye in the for the flavors I like. I also take a probiotic (just switched from acidophilus only to one that has more than just that).

Try the plain. There is more active bacteria than in any of the flavored ones. You can add a splash of vanilla or a handful of berries (more fiber!) if you don't like it as is. I add a scoop of protein powder to mine for a lunchtime protein boost.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    hard stools are a sign of constipation

increase your daily intake of fibre to at least 30g day (you can track this on MFP I personally switched out sugar for fibre tracking). Raspberries are great as are vegetables and cereals.

Add some bulking agents, such as wheat bran, to your diet. These will help make your stools softer and easier to pass.

Avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of water.

Try to get more exercise.

My fiber seems to be about 7grams or less most days, so should I imediately increase to 30, or go slow and add a few grams each day?

Unfortunately I'm allergic (anaphylaxis) to wheat which is why it is likely so low.

Do you like nuts? A handful or two of almonds really helps me when things slow down a little. They are a great source of fiber (4 grams per ounce) as well as healthy fat, both of which help move things along.

A recent illness, with or without medication, can do a number on the intestinal flora. Do you eat yogurt? Try adding some but make sure it has the active cultures in it. That can help restore the healthy digestive bacteria.

I do like nuts. I don't have any in the house right now, but can certainly add them to shopping list for tomorrow.

I do eat yogurt. I eat chobani Greek yogurt since most other yogurts tend to have artificial dye in the for the flavors I like. I also take a probiotic (just switched from acidophilus only to one that has more than just that).

Try the plain. There is more active bacteria than in any of the flavored ones. You can add a splash of vanilla or a handful of berries (more fiber!) if you don't like it as is. I add a scoop of protein powder to mine for a lunchtime protein boost.

I have tried plain before and just couldn't eat it. The taste was just too bland for me, even when adding my own fruit. Also, having it premixed allows me to throw it in my cooler for work.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    3 or 4 prunes
    No gelatin/cornstarch plain yogurt with a bit of honey or maple syrup.
    oatmeal
    quinoa
    other gluten free grains
    oranges
    nuts and seeds (i.e. sunflower and flaxseed)
    extra fats like peanut butter, coconut oil, butter or olive oil
  • elphie754
    Options
    Coffee
    3 or 4 prunes
    oatmeal
    quinoa
    other gluten free grains
    oranges

Uhh oats can contain gluten. I'm allergic to a tubal oats though, not just the gluten protein in them. Even gluten free oats cause me to react.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Everyone screams fiber. But odds are if you are having a then d time with the bathroom... More often than not its a fat content issue... Or lack there of.

Get thee to white Castle or five guys. Have a coffee. Then go eat a burger.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    So I started taking fiber capsules yesterday. I'm starting with two, twice a day and then will go from there to increase slowly. This is going to sound really gross, but has anyone who has taken fiber capsules noticed a change in smells of their stool? I can't describe it, but it smells kind of like the fiber bottle...

I don't smell my stools

Or the bottle either... :huh:

I love eating raisin bran. That helps a lot. :smile:
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    3 or 4 prunes
    oatmeal
    quinoa
    other gluten free grains
    oranges

Uhh oats can contain gluten. I'm allergic to a tubal oats though, not just the gluten protein in them. Even gluten free oats cause me to react.

So don't do oats then, but some other whole grain. And if you eat flaxseed, make sure it's ground up, since whole flax doesn't digest well and just passes through without doing any good.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    So I started taking fiber capsules yesterday. I'm starting with two, twice a day and then will go from there to increase slowly. This is going to sound really gross, but has anyone who has taken fiber capsules noticed a change in smells of their stool? I can't describe it, but it smells kind of like the fiber bottle...

I don't smell my stools

Or the bottle either... :huh:

I love eating raisin bran. That helps a lot. :smile:

Not sure why this is so strange to people. I have a bathroom that has limited ventilation. Kind of hard not to smell things. I also tend to have a really sensitive nose, which might be why I notice it more.

I used to love raisin bran but can't eat it anymore due to allergies.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I used to go #2 maybe 2 - 4 times a day, and they were always.... loose. Since I've been losing weight I go maybe once every 2 days and they're usually rock solid. I just figured it's normal since I'm not eating so much grease.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Grapes are my laxative.

Acetaminophen constipates many people including myself.
  • elphie754
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    Grapes are my laxative.

Acetaminophen constipates many people including myself.

I haven't found grapes around here that are ripe enough for me to eat (in the summer the farmers market has amazing ones). I hate sour fruit.

I am not able to take acetaminophen since it contains red dye #40 (yes even the plain white ones do for some odd reason). If I take anything, I take dye free ibuprofen.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    fresh whole fruits and vegetables will do you good. if you're looking for a laxative that'll work pretty fast, i'd take milk of magnesia (magnesium hydroxide). build your fibre intake slowly, and if necessary, use PEG 3350 in the mean time.

brands are:
    miralax
    lax-a-day
    restoralax
    clearlax

it is safe to use long term, you don't become addicted to it. it can act as a bridge between now and when your natural fibre intake becomes adequate.
  • gin_fb33
    Options
    Not sure why this is so strange to people. I have a bathroom that has limited ventilation. Kind of hard not to smell things. I also tend to have a really sensitive nose, which might be why I notice it more.

If I have too much fibre in my diet, it smells like something is burning. I've been told if it smells like that to cut out some fibre (I binged on mini blueberry bran muffins after I had my daughter).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Everyone screams fiber. But odds are if you are having a then d time with the bathroom... More often than not its a fat content issue... Or lack there of.

I agree. Fat and fiber seem to work well together to keep the digestion running smoothly (which is probably why nuts work really well for me when I need a little extra help)

• elphie754
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I started a new probiotic and it actually seems to be helping a bit. I'm hoping with continued use of it it gets even better.
    gin_fb33 wrote: »

If I have too much fibre in my diet, it smells like something is burning. I've been told if it smells like that to cut out some fibre (I binged on mini blueberry bran muffins after I had my daughter).

I guess "burning" is a good way to describe it but. My fiber intake is really low so don't think I should cut down.
    JoRocka wrote: »

Nope. Can't do any of those except the coffee. I can't eat out at all.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned but what works for me is a magnesium product called "natural calm"
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    OP, thank you for posting this question. I have a similar problem and was afraid / embarrassed to ask. Imma up my butter and fiber starting first thing in the morning.

Or maybe second thing in the morning. heh heh

c28l9dajf3eg.gif

• elphie754
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned but what works for me is a magnesium product called "natural calm"

Hmm. Ill look into it and ask my MD if it is safe for me (with other meds I take).