New on here and sick of pain.

Options
Hi everyone. Hope this post finds you all well and positive.
I have decided that after years of chronic pain with a prolapsed disk and also potentially suffering from degenerative disk disease in my back, that I need to look at losing weight. I have hovered around the 17 stone mark for far too long now. My life is pretty much sedentary. I work in an office, and then on top of that, my back problems mean I cannot exercise the way I would like to, even swimming is too risky according to my GP. I have just got back on my feet after 5 weeks being bed bound due to a flare up in my back. I'm struggling to walk and distance without pain. I have even taking to buying a wheelchair for when my back flares up and I cannot walk. Its really got to that point.
I have taken the steps of digging out my old Fitbit One ( and also getting my partner to start using her as well so we can support each other ), and persuading myself to start using my MFP account and logging all my food. I'm also tempted to get a set of Fitbit Aria scales, for that extra motivation.
I am hoping, that though MFP, I can find motivation and support from all the users on here.

Replies

• stevew_68
    stevew_68 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Anyone, noone? :(
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have bad discs in my neck and can relate. Send me a friend request.
  • PacificLotus
    PacificLotus Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • Jennjoywolf
    Jennjoywolf Posts: 30 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have two herniated discs and arthritis in my back. (and I'm only 37)
    Losing weight is supposed to help. Walking is a great way to go. I'm trying to do the same thing. I also take it up to a jog in the warmer weather. I have the fitbit ultra and its a great tool :) I also just got the withings scale and its been very good at tracking my weight. I love the automation and not having to manually enter it!
    feel free to add!!
  • stevew_68
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    Because you are obviously unable to exercise, a weight loss strategy would be extremely difficult to implement since drastic calorie reduction would rob your body of needed nutrients and exacerbate any condition you might have. I would suggest focusing your attention toward nutrient rich superfoods which are low in calories. This may not be the most tasty strategy but the extra nurients will certainly benefit any condition you may have and weight loss will come naturally over time.

What sort of foods do you suggest?

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor about aqua exercise. There's a woman in my aqua zumba class who weighs about 350lb. I don't know what that is in stones.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've been a chronic back pain sufferer for 10 years, and i'm only 41. I have DDD, along with a "soft tissue injury" (could not be diagnosed) which flares up from time to time. Not as debilitating as you, but quite painful. I was tired of the pain too, which also affected my hips, knees and feet. I started going to physio with mainly active sessions which helped me lose weight and strengthen my muscles. I'm down 45 lbs, I feel fantastic, strong, and back pain is near to none most days of the year. I also ate a balanced diet, focusing on increasing my protein and vegetables, limiting wheat and starch (some call it "white death").

I think you will find that the weight loss will help immensely with the pain and level of exercise you are able to do.

• opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi - I'm very sorry to hear about your back. I am 51 and earlier this year, I had such chronic back pain I could not get up the stairs or out of a chair without my husband's help. My doctor said I had "mechanical damage" and he couldn't do anything. I weighed myself and found that I was in the obese category. I decided to lose weight, and 40lb down, I am so much better. Please friend me if you are looking for friends. I am now 154lb and hoping to lose 14lb more, for my back :)

Edit - I did not exercise at all other than my everyday life, just calorie control, to lose the weight. I see we are from the same area. Friend me lol - we can be Geordies against back pain!
  • trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sorry some of us are slow to respond (like me). Welcome! Some good info above. No matter what you choose to do just don't give up. What works for me may not work for you. If you quit and gain weight back it is only cause you have not fully committed to it yet. Nothing wrong with practicing. :D Best of luck and keep your chin up!!!
  • stevew_68
    Options
    Ask your doctor about aqua exercise. There's a woman in my aqua zumba class who weighs about 350lb. I don't know what that is in stones.

Thats 25 stone. It would be ok if it was just weight, but he has advised against normal swimming already, so I reckon water zumba will be totally off the cards.

Thanks for taking the time to comment though. Nice thought. I might ask him again once Ive shed loads of weight
  • stevew_68
    Options
    Tanya949 wrote: »
    I've been a chronic back pain sufferer for 10 years, and i'm only 41. I have DDD, along with a "soft tissue injury" (could not be diagnosed) which flares up from time to time. Not as debilitating as you, but quite painful. I was tired of the pain too, which also affected my hips, knees and feet. I started going to physio with mainly active sessions which helped me lose weight and strengthen my muscles. I'm down 45 lbs, I feel fantastic, strong, and back pain is near to none most days of the year. I also ate a balanced diet, focusing on increasing my protein and vegetables, limiting wheat and starch (some call it "white death").

I think you will find that the weight loss will help immensely with the pain and level of exercise you are able to do.

Thats an interesting post. Thanks for the info. What difference does increasing the protein and veg make compared to a full blown diet?
  • stevew_68
    Options
    Hi - I'm very sorry to hear about your back. I am 51 and earlier this year, I had such chronic back pain I could not get up the stairs or out of a chair without my husband's help. My doctor said I had "mechanical damage" and he couldn't do anything. I weighed myself and found that I was in the obese category. I decided to lose weight, and 40lb down, I am so much better. Please friend me if you are looking for friends. I am now 154lb and hoping to lose 14lb more, for my back :)

Edit - I did not exercise at all other than my everyday life, just calorie control, to lose the weight. I see we are from the same area. Friend me lol - we can be Geordies against back pain!

FR sent.
    I cant totally relate to the getting the stair and out of the chair thing. I even needed help going to the loo, which is embarrassing.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    stevew_68 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Hope this post finds you all well and positive.
    I have decided that after years of chronic pain with a prolapsed disk and also potentially suffering from degenerative disk disease in my back, that I need to look at losing weight. I have hovered around the 17 stone mark for far too long now. My life is pretty much sedentary. I work in an office, and then on top of that, my back problems mean I cannot exercise the way I would like to, even swimming is too risky according to my GP. I have just got back on my feet after 5 weeks being bed bound due to a flare up in my back. I'm struggling to walk and distance without pain. I have even taking to buying a wheelchair for when my back flares up and I cannot walk. Its really got to that point.
    I have taken the steps of digging out my old Fitbit One ( and also getting my partner to start using her as well so we can support each other ), and persuading myself to start using my MFP account and logging all my food. I'm also tempted to get a set of Fitbit Aria scales, for that extra motivation.
    I am hoping, that though MFP, I can find motivation and support from all the users on here.

steve based on my experience it will be hard to work your way back to being mobile but here are some of my recently efforts to do so.

Being 63 now my limitations stem from Ankylosing Spondylitis form of arthritis over the past 40 years. I was not able to walk much or get out of a car without help this past summer. I have had 3 hip replacements and and knee and shoulder surgery to clean up some of the arthritis damage since 1991. The AS fused most of my entire spine so I do not think I have any disk issues since they are all one long bone like stick without much of any movement.

Again no one can with integrity can tell you or anyone what you need to do over the internet but I will tell you some things that I have done that has helped me. They could be bad or good for you but you can read up things I have done using Google then talk with your doctor.

First I started walking with much pain. With canes I could only make it like 30 meters but over time I got that up 250 meters and now I can on good days do two 250 meter lapse down my small rural farm road.

My top weight was about 18 stones but I had lost much of my muscle strength. When I would fall I could not get myself up without help often. Having little movement from waist up and being fat cause me to fall when outside on rough terrain because I had no way to catch myself after starting to fall.

The doctors wanted me to try Enbrel injections for pain this past summer but when I read about the real risk of cancer and other issues I decided to reject trying Enbrel.

I have spent a few hundred hours reading since 7 Aug 2014 and the more I learn the more I understand how little I know. :) I do have the training as an optometrist which helps with reading research papers but most of the research is fairly easy to understand in most cases.

The first thing I ran across when reading about Enbrel was of all things Coconut Oil. You you make want to Google that. Keep in mind I was about to go crazy from pain and did not want to get cancer or be drugged out of my mind with pain meds. Since 1996 I had been heavy into taking fish oil because it did decrease my pain so I may have been more open to reading about the medical conditions that some found help from taking coconut oil.

While taking coconut oil did help some with the pain the best help it seemed to offer in my case was after 40 years of IBS my IBS related issues stopped about 30 days after taking 4-8 tablespoons daily by mouth. I should have tapered into the heavy use of coconut oil so I did learn about the Herxheimer Reaction but it passed after a week or two.

After more reading the fact sugar can make arthritis worse keep popping up and I had read this over the years so I decided to stop using sugar. That was when I figured out I had what I would describe now as a sugar/carbohydrate addiction. It was really bad because I would let it cause me to drive to get sugar. For years I realized I have been running mainly on processed foods high in CARBS.

Now my brain and muscles mainly burn ketones instead of only glucose like before I started my current eating lifestyle. Read up on that if you wish. No more sugar crashes is AWESOME in my experience.

Two months into fighting to get free from sugar/carb cravings I was fed up and cut out ALL sugar and in fact all carbs to <50 grams a day.

My pain when from 7-8+ to 2-3 over the past five month on a 1-10 scale and I am able to walk and do more than in years.

Without knowing what I had done I had put myself on a Very Low Carb Very High Fat diet. When you are googling it goes by many names. LCHF diet, Keto diet, Nutritional Ketosis diet and many other terms. I now get about 5% of my calories from CARBS that are like in nuts and other whole foods (<50 grams a day total), about 80% of calories from Fats with coconut oil being my main Fat and about 15% of daily calories from Protein.

While I have lost some weight my efforts have been focused on pain management without using meds with side effects. By cutting the Carbs and using Fish and Coconut Oil I am doing better pain wise then in 40 years.

Steve there are many subjects you can Google that I have already mentioned.

Not sure if you can find your solution for your conditions but I do encourage you to Google and read up on your conditions. I bet you will find at least some help. Regaining hope helped me to push forward.

I wish you the best as you look for your own personal solutions that will work for you.
  • LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Welcome, feel free to add me!
  • stevew_68
    Options
    Thanks so much for that insite GaleHawkins. I will certainly check it out. The problem I find with foods is when people say eat things high in this or low in that, I have no idea what to go for. I don't really want to wander round the supermarket reading labels all day. I could imagine it will be difficult to learn about.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    stevew_68 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that insite GaleHawkins. I will certainly check it out. The problem I find with foods is when people say eat things high in this or low in that, I have no idea what to go for. I don't really want to wander round the supermarket reading labels all day. I could imagine it will be difficult to learn about.

To lose weight you need to be consitently at a deficit.. Look at your target calories and consider them as a form of currency you get to spend each day. You just have to balance and my #1 target is to avoid hunger and then ensure I get enough nutrition. Anything left at the end of the day you have free reigh to use how you wish.

Fruit and veg (5+ a day), lean proteins, whole grains and you cnat go far wrong. Some people like high fat or high fibre or high protein to stop them feeling full.

You do need to work in conjunction with your physio to decide what exercise you can manage and then do that consistently.

If the exercise is going to be limited, then its extra important that your deficit control works, so that will mean getting kitchen scales and weighing what you eat and then logging it all on a regular basis. If your count isnt accurate and you eat more than you think you might not be in deficit and you will not lose. Thats the #1 reason for people asking wht they arent losing.

You should do some more investigation into what exercise you can do as even a little of the right exercise can burn calories but also strengthen muscle. Talk to your phsyio. Hopefully as you lose, then the pain will ease and you might be able to manage more.

Btw its 80% diet for most people.

I have had a look at the exercises and they are mostly stretching to relieve the pain and light aerobic.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It is very possible to loose weight with minimal exercise. I have osteo arthritis and am able to bike ride every so often. My main focus is on my intake. i've managed to drop 106 lbs since april of this year.
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw out a shameless plug for a movie to watch that may be an inspiration: Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. It is a very extreme example of how one man started his weight loss journey, but there is a lot of evidence in support of supplementing one's diet with juicing.
  • stevew_68
    Options
    I actually have a nutribullet I keep meaning to use. I was using it, then it got put in the cupboard and forgot about.
    One thing I need to do is increase fibre. Because of the back pain I'm in, I am on strong painkillers, and one of their side effects is blocking you up. I suppose, nutribullet drinks could help with that as well.
    I'll check out that movie, if I can find it.