Time to shed the college weight!

Options
Hi all!
My name is Jessica, I am 22 from Michigan.
In the 4th grade, i had meningitis which attacked my thyroid gland. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid as a result and have struggled with weight ever since. I am now suspecting that there is something more seriously wrong with my thyroid as my numerous weight-loss attempts in the past have always failed.
But I am here and trying again. I graduated from college in April of this year, and just this past month my girlfriend of one year left me, two days before Thanksgiving.
I now feel that I don't have much going for me in life. So I decided to focus on myself and my weight.
My weight has been anywhere between 260 and 270 this past year.
After a week of not eating after the break up, i weighed in at 268.
I decided to join Planet Fitness and have only missed 3 days since joining.
MFP told me to eat 2060 a day, to lose 1 pound a week but I felt it was too much and lowered it to 1900. after the first week, i had lost 2 pounds and was 266. So i decided to drop my calories to 1800 and increase my cardio. I don't know how much I am actually burning in cardio because I don't wear a heart rate monitor, but the machines average between 300-500 calories per session so I must be burning AT LEAST that, right?

5 days ago I still had not lost any weight. I have been on birth control since I was 15 and after reading some articles about birth control contributing to a failure in weight loss, I decided to stop taking it. I only take it to regulate my periods, so it is not a big deal for me to stop. This morning, my scale said 261.3!!

I am loving the new friends I have made on MFP. And am really hoping that I am finally at a point in my life where I can focus and dedicate everything to becoming a healthier and happier person.

Keep up the work pals! Feel free to add me, the newsfeed really encourages me throughout the day!

Replies

• trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!!

Weight loss is an odd thing. One day I can weigh 145 the next 157 and the next 150. Although I calorie count I have been learning some foods cause water retention causing your wight to seam to go higher when in fact the next week I was back to 145.

Patience, persistence, and the knowledge that you CAN lose weight and keep it off by making a LIFE CHANGE not a new diet plan.

One thing for me about calorie counting that works is it's simple, I can eat anything I want, and if I choose the wrong foods they punish me. I will NEVER give up Doritos and jalapeno cheese dip even though after eating this I gain 7+ pounds for a few days.

Just choose something that works for you and make sure it can be sustained for years not just a few months or you will gain the weight back and possibly more.

You can do this and although you do have a valid health condition to make it harder just know if you want to be more healthy, you want to lose that weight you CAN if you are willing to dedicate yourself to it long term. Best wishes.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I had meningitis which attacked my thyroid gland. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid as a result and have struggled with weight ever since. I am now suspecting that there is something more seriously wrong with my thyroid as my numerous weight-loss attempts in the past have always failed.

MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue, so I can be more active. But I lost just like everybody else: by eating fewer calories than I burn.

Some things I've learned along the way:

• Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.
    • Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right & maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a lot in a "whoosh."
    • It's human nature to underestimate your food & overestimate your burns. Get a kitchen scale and weigh absolutely everything you eat—including packaged foods. Prepare to be shocked. Treat yourself to an activity tracker (like Fitbit) or a heart-rate monitor.
    • A heathy, sustainable weight loss is .5 lb. per week for each 25 lbs. you need to lose.
    • Eat "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.
    • Treat yourself at least as kindly as you treat others. It sounds cheesy, but it's really hard to do! You've taken the first step by deciding to eat better & exercise. Yay, you!