Need new traditions

Options
bgeer34
bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
The hardest part of being healthy is making new family traditions when the old ones all centered around food.... I am the one that whenever we used to go out to eat we would just go wherever because I am not picky and would let others choose what they want... but twice a year I got to go out to eat wherever I wanted to go... Mother's Day and my Birthday... both are coming up in less than 3 weeks... and of course the two places I loved are extremely UNhealthy and I don't want to go there but then it leaves the dilemma of how do you celebrate without food?

So many of you are gonna say "just plan for it and go out anyway"... that defeats the whole new ME... the Me that doesn't want to center life and celebrations around food... the Me that wants to be very healthy and teach the kids that you don't have to use food to celebrate.. because I don't WANT the food, I have no cravings for the food, I just want to celebrate... so planning for it and going out to eat are not an option for me. However, whatever we celebrate needs to be kid/teen friendly as we do our celebrating as a family.

I sent my hubby an email and suggested perhaps a nice chick flick for Mother's Day (with boys ages 11, 14, and 15 that would be a true show of love... lol) But I don't want to go to the movies twice in 2 weeks time.... so what do the rest of you do to celebrate special occasions that aren't food related? I just need some ideas :)

Replies

• funsover
    funsover Posts: 39
    Options
    I think it would very thoughtful and a great gift if you had a picnic with your family but they made the whole meal and made your NEW favorites and did the food prep, presentation and clean up for you. That would be a great birthday or mother's day gift (I also celebrate Mother's Day and my birthday around the same time).
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Maybe let the family make you a healthy dinner? Or go get a massage or manicure/pedicure? Mini golf, go karts, or something else fun the whole family can do?
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think making dinner at home -- individual pizza's so everyone can make their own? Taco bar? Grilling?
    And then choose an activity like mini-golf or going to the park. The best memories I have are when I'd go out with my family and do something, not about where we ate.

:)
  • Andrea337
    Andrea337 Posts: 4
    Options
    I completely understand and hope to do the same! For Easter, my mom still made ham and cheesy potatoes but there was also steamed brocolli, asparagus, corn and cut up fresh veggies like carrots, celery, and olives. We also had whole wheat rolls, so not 100% healthy yet but much better than what we would've had in the past!

You can make anything fun and start new traditions with your family whenever and however you wish which is awesome! I think it's super fun and kids love to just do things as a family that don't cost money or don't cost much money! How about taking the family on a nice picnic in the park with subway sandwiches or a packed meal made at home! You could also do something like go rollerskating or a theme park. I think anything can be fun as long as the family is all together! As for the food, it's still needed but you can try to make healthier choices or only eat at the faves maybe once or twice a year! Whatever you decide to do, i'm sure everyone will enjoy themselves! Stay strong you can do it!!!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Considering the time of year it is, maybe they could help you plant some flowers in your garden, or in some pretty containers if you don't have a garden? You could all go to the garden center together, pick some things out (they'll be glad about not having the pressure of picking a gift), and then plant them together. It would create a memory that lasts and brings future enjoyment. : )

And then you could all go in the house and make fruit smoothies. : )
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Or... you could all go on a hike together, someplace pretty.