Women-Success with weight lifting.

Options
I have seen a lot of women on here who have said that lifting weights was their main way of toning and loosing weight. I have always done pretty much just cardio other than using dumbbells with workout videos. I have over 100lbs to loose. I was doing turbo fire (which I absolutely LOVE) until I injured my knee. So now I am trying to let it heal before doing it again. My question is when talking about "weight lifting" where do I begin?? What exercises do I do? How much weight should I lift? I have also always said I wanted to loose a good bit first and then start lifting for toning, but is that wrong? Should I be doing it the whole time? I notice whenever I use weights with my videos I end up not loosing anything on the scale.. I know that this is from muscle but in your experience when did that stop and you start actually seeing the scale move? Tons of question... Anyone who's had great success & has the time can message me if you'd like. Also, as I mentioned my injured knee.. any workouts that you'd suggest that are easy on the knees?

Oh yeah: anyone who will share your success photos that would be awesome also!!

Replies

• epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I started out with kettle bells, and have recently added deadlifts to my workouts as well. Since I work out with a trainer, and he sets up my program, I can't really comment on which training programs would be best, but I see lots of recommendations for Stronglifts and New Rules of Lifting.

I jumped right in with weight training from the very beginning, and never had an issue with not losing as long as I was eating at a deficit. In fact, I have lost a total of 82 pounds so far.

Here's my most recent before & after pic. It's from July of this year, but I hit a plateau for a few months, so I haven't lost much more than when this was taken.

0c94ea4465a64b077861e68599c270352be2.jpg
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5

To expand on that... use a progressive beginner's program that is proven to have worked for thousands.
    Stronglifts 5x5 is one, starting strength is another, there are many others as well.

Weight lifting is generally when referred to as training with free weights, and for beginners they'll focus on four major moves. Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press (or the Clean - which I think is a bit much for dead newbs.)

So you'll lift something heavy in a manner as dictated by a program. Then, following the program, you add more weight over time. At the beginning you'll focus on strength with most programs, and all shall be good. Just a few thoughts.
  • dbmata
    Options
    mdove3411 wrote: »
    I notice whenever I use weights with my videos I end up not loosing anything on the scale..
    It's because you're eating too much.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I started out totally clueless to this at about this time last year. Someone in the message boards recommended the book/program New Rules of Lifting for Women. It was extrememly helpful and I would recommened it highly.
  • mdove3411
    mdove3411 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I notice whenever I use weights with my videos I end up not loosing anything on the scale..

1200 calories :)
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    Options
    Id say its because youre gaining muscle.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    Options
    If you're lifting weights 1200 calories is probably way to few calories to be eating.
  • dbmata
    Options
    If you're lifting weights 1200 calories is probably way to few calories to be eating.

and not going to be gaining or generating muscle at that intake level.

OP, make sure your logging is accurate and precise.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

um no.... gaining muscle on 1200 calories using light weights isn't really going to happen
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    When you lift weights, you make tiny little tears in the muscle tissue. Your body then repairs the tears with more muscle tissue. This is how muscles grow. While repairing the muscles, your body will store water in your muscle tissue to help with the repair. That water can add up to a significant amount of weight. Expect to retain water whenever you change or increase your activity level. The water may mask your fat loss for weeks. It will be easier if you know this in advance and are mentally prepared for it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yeah no.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

um no.... gaining muscle on 1200 calories using light weights isn't really going to happen
    I agree with this wholeheartedly!!! 1200 calories? I weight train and I'm eating 1900-2100 calories!

• bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

yeah no.
    JoRocka, you make me laugh!!! Please set the thread straight....thank you!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DB pretty much handled is already- I wouldn't have said anything he hadn't already said- just felt like the "yeah no- you're not building muscle on 1200" was fully emphasized LOL.
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

yeah no.

Agreed after I saw how many calories she's eating. I'm 5'5" weight 180lbs and eat about 2200 calories a day and I lift 3 days a week.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    When you lift weights, you make tiny little tears in the muscle tissue. Your body then repairs the tears with more muscle tissue. This is how muscles grow. While repairing the muscles, your body will store water in your muscle tissue to help with the repair. That water can add up to a significant amount of weight. Expect to retain water whenever you change or increase your activity level. The water may mask your fat loss for weeks. It will be easier if you know this in advance and are mentally prepared for it.
    This is the right answer. Assuming you don't change your intake, the scale will start moving again. You just need to be patient and wait it out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Stronglifts 5x5

To expand on that... use a progressive beginner's program that is proven to have worked for thousands.
    Stronglifts 5x5 is one, starting strength is another, there are many others as well.

Weight lifting is generally when referred to as training with free weights, and for beginners they'll focus on four major moves. Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press (or the Clean - which I think is a bit much for dead newbs.)

So you'll lift something heavy in a manner as dictated by a program. Then, following the program, you add more weight over time. At the beginning you'll focus on strength with most programs, and all shall be good. Just a few thoughts.

Agreed.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

1200 calories :)

Either you're not logging completely/accurately (either intentionally or unintentionally), or you're not considering normal fluctuations in body weight. Daily fluctuations of 5lbs is normal. Focus on long terms trends in weight... what's your weight doing over longer periods of time (months), not short fluctuations over the course of a day or two or even a week.
  • spah33
    spah33 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    100% true on heavy lifting days I always weigh 3-5 lbs more the next day but after a rest day I will suddenly drop 2-4 lbs.