standstill to success

Options
I am stuck at a stand still.... i gained back some of my weight over a few months, but just recently hopped back on board.. i have srictly been eating 1200 cals and ONLY paleo, or clean foods... no processed foods... yet i have not lost any weight... i dont get it.. i dont understand which part of ...no-longer eating fast food and only eating clean..veggies, meat...fruit... is not helping..

any tips?

Replies

• moronicbliss
    moronicbliss Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Give it time! Try to weigh once a week to give your body time to show you the results your after. Also, kick it up a notch by switching up your exercise regime
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    ive been giving it a few weeks now... i guess is that not enough time to see anything shifting? i dont know how much time to give before deciding that what i am trying is not working for my body so i need to change something else.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You need to post this question on General Diet and Weight loss help, you will get more responses :)

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    What did you do before that worked? Why aren't you doing that again?

Paleo or "clean" eating isn't necessary. I'm guessing you're not weighing your food, and you're probably eating more than 1200 calories.
  • Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    i am portion controlling... not weighing but adding calories by the amount/size... and am not eating over 1200.

i lost the weight by eating less than 1200 last time.. yes i know.. not the healthiest... but then i over ate for many months and gained weight back... started clean eating 1200 cals per day and still no results...
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Calories in vs. calories out. You can't lose weight unless you eating less than you burn. Eating clean has nothing to do with it. Therefore you are eating more than you think.
  • acquilla30
    acquilla30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? Sometimes that tells the story better than the scale.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories? Food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that if you eat "paleo" or "clean" (or whatever your version of what those terms mean to you is) than you can eat as much as you want. It's still very easy to over eat on "healthy" foods. Nut for example, a portion is not much at all
  • fabysfa
    fabysfa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Your body got in starvation mode when you were eating less than 1200 calories. Now that you're eating clean and just the 1200 calories, your body is saving some of the calories and converting them into fat, just incase you eat less calories again, so the body will have that fat to convert it into energy when you eat less calories again. Your body is smart, it prepares by itself for the days that there is not enough food. Avoid putting your body in starvation mode, give your body time, keep your calories countable and you will start to see results in no time :)
  • cranden
    cranden Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Try eating a little more. Sometimes that helps.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you dont need to " eat clean" to lose weight. If its something you want to do for other reasons its fine, but you just need to be at a calorie deficit. Just looking at your portions and guessing wont work. You need to buy a scale and weigh your food. You need to use measuring cups and spoons.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The fact that you've been overeating recently suggests that:

A ) 1200+ calories is your minimum, don't try to lose on less. But definitely weigh everything!

B ) You shouldn't be cutting food groups when you diet, it will only encourage you to binge eat these foods at a later date. Instead try for MFP's recommendations: 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. If you planned to eat paleo for the rest of time it wouldn't be a problem, but I don't think that you do from what you've said.

It is possible that your body is storing more water weight as you lose fat... to discourage this try to drink enough water each day. Also if you're doing exercise you could be building muscle which weighs more than fat... If you haven't already take some body measurements and then in a month take some more - you could see results here but not on the scale.

Good luck sweetie!

• aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Its not as easy as everyone says. Im in the same position and even my health trainer couldnt understand why im not losing more. After 3 weeks i only lost 0.5kg. I posted a question on forum and got the same response e.g weigh food etc..but i am! Im eating less! Im drinking water! I even exercised but for some odd reason ..the scale didnt budge and i just gave up! I find it strange because when i eat normal portions for me i dont gain weight...i simply maintain..so when i eat less ..i should lose...? I dont know..but seeing success stories on mfp makes it seem like so many ppl are getting results and its working for them but i just havent found something that works for me..or maybe some ppl have to give it over a month to see results?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Marcillene wrote: »
    i am portion controlling... not weighing but adding calories by the amount/size... and am not eating over 1200.

i lost the weight by eating less than 1200 last time.. yes i know.. not the healthiest... but then i over ate for many months and gained weight back... started clean eating 1200 cals per day and still no results...

that makes no sense - if you're not weighing you have no idea what calories you're eating

clean eating means diddly squat

paleo means diddly

calories in vs calories out

And I would imagine 1200 calories (even though you're most probably eating more) is far too low a limit in the first place
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as well. For almost two weeks, I stayed between 239 and 241. Then over the weekend I managed to bloat up over six pounds. I feel like I have far too much weight left to lose to be stalling out, which is frusterating!

However, I've discovered that performing the same workout for more than 1-2 months tends to reduce the effectiveness. So one of the first steps I'm taking is to switch up my work outs.

Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as well. For almost two weeks, I stayed between 239 and 241. Then over the weekend I managed to bloat up over six pounds. I feel like I have far too much weight left to lose to be stalling out, which is frusterating!

However, I've discovered that performing the same workout for more than 1-2 months tends to reduce the effectiveness. So one of the first steps I'm taking is to switch up my work outs.

Good luck!
    You might re-evaluate your diary, as well. Sometimes we get complacent when logging.
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Marcillene wrote: »

Use high intensity interval training. Your body most likely adapted to your cardio and became more efficient. So you need to work harder to burn calories. Hope this will help you.

• Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I totally agree , Hiit workouts are great, yeah they take your breath away, but they're totally worth it :) Don't give up ! and another suggestion , if going completely clean is no longer working try spicing it up every once in a while ( I also eat mostly clean, but on times I break that streak I find out I've lost more). a quarter of the pack of lays or a dark chocolate will do no wrong if its like once or twice a week occurrence
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    acquilla30 wrote: »
    Have you taken your measurements? Sometimes that tells the story better than the scale.

This happened to me and many others. I went 6-8 weeks after restarting my weight loss without the scales dropping by 1 pound but I lost in the waist and other places.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how long have you been eating 1200 for?

do you own a food scale and weight log/measure everything?

Paleo and clean eating has no relation to weight loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!