Advice for diabetic mom. I think I hit a plateau right from beginning.

Options
13»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Dont see how being diabetic is relevant. If it was, then you wouldnt have lost any weight....

I suggest actually understanding what diabetes is before making such an ignorant comment.
  • AmberRiche4
    AmberRiche4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with FatFreeFrolicking - unless you know what you are talking about it is best to not say anything. There are some awesome people here who are only too happy to help and support you, Minideema.
    I am insulin resistant (not yet Diabetic) and desperately trying to deal with it. Recently I did a course as recommended by my nurse to help me try and get on top of things. Previously I thought I knew it all - boy was this a wake-up for me!
    (*) Minideema is at least trying to get on top of things here - working hard with nutrition and exercise - as diabetes plays havoc with your metabolism and the way your body processes food esp carbs, the standard guidelines are not what works for them.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic about 10 years ago, the first thing my doctor said was something to the effect of that's why you have that "barrel belly" and told me it was indicative of diabetics.
    I've only been on MFP for less than 2 months but I don't have a hard time staying at or under 1200 calories. I look at the calorie value of foods before planning meals. I like food and this 1/4 cup of something doesn't work for me. So I pick the food I like with the lowest calories and get to eat more of it. I eat very few starches and only sugar in the lowest calorie fruits. Once in a while I'll be in the mood for nuts so I'll count out my 6 or 7 roasted almonds and savor every bite. Just know it can be done without starving and yes the protein is important. I eat a lot of chicken because I can have more of it than beef. Most of my carbs come from the veggies I eat and many of them I roast in the oven with cooking spray on the pan and seasonings. They are yummy.
    You can do this. Measure and record as accurately as possible and congrats on all the exercise. Good Luck!

I am curious? Are you insulin dependent or on metformin? My A1C has been 5.5 the past two times and I've now lost 19 pounds with about 50 to go.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    minideema wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

I agree the amount of calories in a tsp of oil and nuts are shocking. The only month I lost weight was when I quit non veg including eggs completely. For a month only though.i realized chicken was very high in cals. So it's just fish and egg whites for me.

But you are right! Portions are shocking.

WHAT! 6oz roasted chicken breast = 281cals, 53g protein, 6g fat, 0 carbs

I think chicken is a valuable source of lean protein. Disagree about it being very high in calories, unless you were having KFC and then thats the oil and coating.

You are right, when hungry I was binging on fried chicken. Most fast foods will offer grilled chicken only in salad. Wish they would sell grilled chicken nuggets. Joining an diet apps has opened my eyes to these differences. But I cannot resist curry chicken which is also high on oil.

I have no idea if this will help you or not. But if you do feel like eating fast food, places like McDonald's that offer grilled chicken also offer the option of buying a grilled chicken breast fillet ala carte. It's something like $2 (at least it is where i work) and maybe 250 calories? I forget exactly. But you can even order a grilled chicken sandwich and get it without the bun or mayo, which gives you the lettuce and tomato and chicken, and then ask for a cup of honey mustard instead of mayo.

Just little-known tricks if you want fast food without the higher calories. Although maybe at that point, you're better off with a salad, although the sandwich tends to be cheaper, lol
  • KrishDaNa
    KrishDaNa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I saw you said that you like to eat chicken curry and possibly other curries. I have Indian food about 80% of the time but I cook everything at home so I can control oil, salt, and fat etc... I also eat a lot of either bean or veggie curries instead of chicken or meat. Let me know if you would like any recipes.

With carbs, it is just important to limit the amount. When my husband an I went to the doctor about portion size he said that we should stick to 45g of carbs at each meal. If it is possible go to a diabetic nurse and they will give you a whole bunch of literature on portion size.
  • minideema
    minideema Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    KrisDa24 wrote: »
    I saw you said that you like to eat chicken curry and possibly other curries. I have Indian food about 80% of the time but I cook everything at home so I can control oil, salt, and fat etc... I also eat a lot of either bean or veggie curries instead of chicken or meat. Let me know if you would like any recipes.

With carbs, it is just important to limit the amount. When my husband an I went to the doctor about portion size he said that we should stick to 45g of carbs at each meal. If it is possible go to a diabetic nurse and they will give you a whole bunch of literature on portion size.

thank you this is so sweet of you.

• minideema
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I agree the amount of calories in a tsp of oil and nuts are shocking. The only month I lost weight was when I quit non veg including eggs completely. For a month only though.i realized chicken was very high in cals. So it's just fish and egg whites for me.

But you are right! Portions are shocking.

WHAT! 6oz roasted chicken breast = 281cals, 53g protein, 6g fat, 0 carbs

I think chicken is a valuable source of lean protein. Disagree about it being very high in calories, unless you were having KFC and then thats the oil and coating.

You are right, when hungry I was binging on fried chicken. Most fast foods will offer grilled chicken only in salad. Wish they would sell grilled chicken nuggets. Joining an diet apps has opened my eyes to these differences. But I cannot resist curry chicken which is also high on oil.

I have no idea if this will help you or not. But if you do feel like eating fast food, places like McDonald's that offer grilled chicken also offer the option of buying a grilled chicken breast fillet ala carte. It's something like $2 (at least it is where i work) and maybe 250 calories? I forget exactly. But you can even order a grilled chicken sandwich and get it without the bun or mayo, which gives you the lettuce and tomato and chicken, and then ask for a cup of honey mustard instead of mayo.

Just little-known tricks if you want fast food without the higher calories. Although maybe at that point, you're better off with a salad, although the sandwich tends to be cheaper, lol

thank you. very useful info! will def keep in mind.

• minideema
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    When I was first diagnosed as a diabetic about 10 years ago, the first thing my doctor said was something to the effect of that's why you have that "barrel belly" and told me it was indicative of diabetics.
    I've only been on MFP for less than 2 months but I don't have a hard time staying at or under 1200 calories. I look at the calorie value of foods before planning meals. I like food and this 1/4 cup of something doesn't work for me. So I pick the food I like with the lowest calories and get to eat more of it. I eat very few starches and only sugar in the lowest calorie fruits. Once in a while I'll be in the mood for nuts so I'll count out my 6 or 7 roasted almonds and savor every bite. Just know it can be done without starving and yes the protein is important. I eat a lot of chicken because I can have more of it than beef. Most of my carbs come from the veggies I eat and many of them I roast in the oven with cooking spray on the pan and seasonings. They are yummy.
    You can do this. Measure and record as accurately as possible and congrats on all the exercise. Good Luck!

I am curious? Are you insulin dependent or on metformin? My A1C has been 5.5 the past two times and I've now lost 19 pounds with about 50 to go.

since I go to gym Daily. I am not dependent on any medicines. but when I know I am going to eat Chinese or overeat during those once in a month restaurant visits, I give myself a shot of insulin 20 units.

I tried meds but they work only when I work out in gym. metformin gives me a sick stomach, so I take glyburide at most. but I avoid meds.

I fill my stomach with unsweetened almond milk. and nuts too.

• whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in september and was placed on metformin, since then he has lost almost 4 stone through changes to his diet alone.
    a typical day pre diagnosis:
    bacon sandwich on white bread with ketchup
    egg custard tart
    2 clementines
    banana
    biscuits and/or cakes in the office depending on if there was a birthday, he would get what ever was sleft as well
    2 white bread rolls filled with a mayonaise based sandwich filler
    packet of crisps
    cereal bar
    then a LARGE evening meal often followed by desert

typical day post diagnosis:
    greek yogurt with frozen fruits (prepped night before so fruit has defrosted)
    1 slice of seeded toast (burgen brand bread)
    1 clemantine
    1 apple
    sandwich consisting of 2 slices of seeded bread with a small ammount of low fat spread and a roast chicken breast that was seasoned with herbs or spices sliced thinly
    2 sticks of celery
    1 carrot
    3 radishes
    7 cherry tomatoes
    a small evening meal followed with sugar free jelly
    no cakes or biscuits no matter whos birthday it is

if he needs a snack it tends to be peanut butter on celery and on a saturday he throws caution to the wind and has death in a box aka pizza. at a weekend instead of having the chicken sandwich he has tinned fish.

he thankfully can eat pasta and rice in small quantities but potatoes really throw his blood sugars out of whack so we avoid them.

for the evening meal i spend a lot of time reading labels, we were given the advice to keep sat fats below 3g per 100g, sugar and salt below 5g per 100g it has worked well for him.

unfortunately all diabetics are different, i just wanted to show you that it was possible to lose weight while being a diabetic
  • minideema
    Options
    my boyfriend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in september and was placed on metformin, since then he has lost almost 4 stone through changes to his diet alone.
    a typical day pre diagnosis:
    bacon sandwich on white bread with ketchup
    egg custard tart
    2 clementines
    banana
    biscuits and/or cakes in the office depending on if there was a birthday, he would get what ever was sleft as well
    2 white bread rolls filled with a mayonaise based sandwich filler
    packet of crisps
    cereal bar
    then a LARGE evening meal often followed by desert

typical day post diagnosis:
    greek yogurt with frozen fruits (prepped night before so fruit has defrosted)
    1 slice of seeded toast (burgen brand bread)
    1 clemantine
    1 apple
    sandwich consisting of 2 slices of seeded bread with a small ammount of low fat spread and a roast chicken breast that was seasoned with herbs or spices sliced thinly
    2 sticks of celery
    1 carrot
    3 radishes
    7 cherry tomatoes
    a small evening meal followed with sugar free jelly
    no cakes or biscuits no matter whos birthday it is

if he needs a snack it tends to be peanut butter on celery and on a saturday he throws caution to the wind and has death in a box aka pizza. at a weekend instead of having the chicken sandwich he has tinned fish.

he thankfully can eat pasta and rice in small quantities but potatoes really throw his blood sugars out of whack so we avoid them.

for the evening meal i spend a lot of time reading labels, we were given the advice to keep sat fats below 3g per 100g, sugar and salt below 5g per 100g it has worked well for him.

unfortunately all diabetics are different, i just wanted to show you that it was possible to lose weight while being a diabetic

so awesome! thank you tons! thank you so much for your time, this is such a long detailed reply! indeed I am limited on bread since I do not take meds. I agree pizza is death in a box for diabetics. its is better to have pizza with salad. but I cannot even do that. the mere smell of pizza will give me a spike.

thanks again.