Water

Options
How important is it?
MFP has the "drink 8 glasses minimum" on it's pages.
I interpret a glass as about half a pint, so thats about 4 pints a day.
I've only actually managed to drink that amount on a couple of occasions.
Possibly in summer it will be a lot easier to drink that amount but at this time of year I find it very difficult.
Does it include tea and coffee or is it just pure water?

So yeah, ignoring the fact that of course, you must drink water or die from dehydration, how important is water when trying to lose weight?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    It includes all fluid.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    ^ That's how I interpret it too. However, I don't count my coffee as part of my daily fluid intake. I know I can, I just don't.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Plus the food you consume......your body extracts the water out of your food.....20% seems to be the number for that, or there about.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have a read of this and you might decide not to stress about logging water intake....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the biggest benefit of upping your water is that it removes the risk of you interpreting thirst as hunger .. which is incredibly common

also it helps avoid constipation
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Most people will drink enough fluids without forcing themselves. I drink most of mine as coffee. Your body uses water for a number of different things. If you don't have it, you can't exercise as long, you can't digest food, you can't remove toxins from your body, you can't process fat. But having too much isn't a good thing either. A guy I knew in college died because the fraternity he was pledging to had him drink too much water as part of their initiation ritual.
  • 13Strong
    13Strong Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Water is huge. And it should be water not coffee, juice, or soda/pop. 8 cups (64 oz is the min). If you are awake form 7am till 8pm that's a little over half a cup (5oz) an hour. I try for 80oz because that's the new recommended amount and I know I feel dehydrated when . FYI: Average USA glass = 12oz. Average tea cup 6oz. So it's not quite 8 "cups".

As for TimothyFish's comment - Too much water in a short period of time is deadly. "Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests in which individuals attempt to consume large amounts of water, or from long bouts of exercise during which excessive amounts of fluid were consumed."

So yes, drink water - just don't pound it down. That's not healthy to do with any fluid.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/water-get-enough.htm

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/water-health.htm

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6-reasons-to-drink-water

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Mudler wrote: »
    So yeah, ignoring the fact that of course, you must drink water or die from dehydration, how important is water when trying to lose weight?

So ignoring anything else, it is pertinent to weight loss. Many people find it's helpful with their weight loss goal if eating too much was part of their problem. They find when drinking more plain water during the day that they were often mistaking thirst for hunger. Drinking a glass of water before or with meals helps a lot of people slow down and pay attention to when they are sated by food. Sometimes just having a glass of water and waiting 15 minutes before snacking helps you see that you weren't hungry at all, or choosing to snack on foods with a higher water content like fruit satisfies you much more quickly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    13Strong wrote: »
    Water is huge. And it should be water not coffee, juice, or soda/pop. 8 cups (64 oz is the min). If you are awake form 7am till 8pm that's a little over half a cup (5oz) an hour. I try for 80oz because that's the new recommended amount and I know I feel dehydrated when . FYI: Average USA glass = 12oz. Average tea cup 6oz. So it's not quite 8 "cups".

As for TimothyFish's comment - Too much water in a short period of time is deadly. "Nearly all deaths related to water intoxication in normal individuals have resulted either from water drinking contests in which individuals attempt to consume large amounts of water, or from long bouts of exercise during which excessive amounts of fluid were consumed."

So yes, drink water - just don't pound it down. That's not healthy to do with any fluid.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/water-get-enough.htm

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/water-health.htm

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6-reasons-to-drink-water

While I don't dispute drinking water is essential, but people tend to over exagerate this issue. Below is a good thread on it. The main thing to keep in mind, you get hydration from a ton of things outside of just water, to include foods and other liquids. And each individual will have a specific requirement to stay hydrated which is based on several factors such as lifestyle and exercise.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181

OP, yes they do count.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I drink on average of 11 cups a day. I really feel the difference if I only have say 6. I feel lethargic and not quite as sharp. For weight loss drinking more water is very important. Also I do not include drinks with caffeine as they are diuretics and will dehydrate you. Also for any alcoholic beverage I drink 1 cup of water extra per drink as it will also dehydrate you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    Mudler wrote: »

So ignoring anything else, it is pertinent to weight loss. Many people find it's helpful with their weight loss goal if eating too much was part of their problem. They find when drinking more plain water during the day that they were often mistaking thirst for hunger. Drinking a glass of water before or with meals helps a lot of people slow down and pay attention to when they are sated by food. Sometimes just having a glass of water and waiting 15 minutes before snacking helps you see that you weren't hungry at all, or choosing to snack on foods with a higher water content like fruit satisfies you much more quickly.

Not to mention that having a bottle or glass near you to sip on can help the mindless hand-to-mouth fixation many who are constant snackers (like me) have. Taking a sip of water instead of putting food in my mouth has really helped.

jpaulie wrote: »
    Also I do not include drinks with caffeine as they are diuretics and will dehydrate you. Also for any alcoholic beverage I drink 1 cup of water extra per drink as it will also dehydrate you.

Nope. The mild diuretic effect of caffeine does not affect hydration from the coffee or whatever. That was long debunked. You are correct about alcohol, though. Not to mention that alternating an alcoholic drink with a glass of water is a good way to keep from drinking too much and helps lessen any hangover effect.

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    "How important is it?"

It's kind of like how important oil is to an car's engine.

It's a lot easier for your body to do amazing things if you do your part by setting it up for success.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't actually log my water/fluid intake. I HATE drinking plain water, I can always taste the minerals and other things that are added to clean it. So I end up drinking a lot of tea. I know how to tell when I'm getting dehydrated, and can up my fluid intake accordingly. I did go once drinking just water, and honestly, I drank about the same amount of water in a day that I would normally drink tea or something else with and felt the same, hydration-wise. So I just listen to my body on that, and increase as needed.

The biggest issue with drinking things other than water is whatever else is in them. Caffeine doesn't bother me unless I get a massive dose, but you have to watch out for sugar especially. Know how different things in your drinks will affect your body, and just keep that in mind.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I drink 8-10 16 ounce glasses per day...so I guess that is 128-160 oz. or 8-10 pints. 2 big glasses as soon as I wake up, and the rest spread throughout the day. That is all water. I also have a cup of coffee and the occasional cup of tea which I don't count.

That might be more than I technically 'need', but I don't need to force it and I feel noticeably better when I drink that much. I HATE feeling at all thirsty, and the water seems to help reduce the urge to snack. I also feel more energetic when I am well hydrated, and my skin looks much better.

That being said, I wouldn't force myself to drink it. If you find it difficult to drink more, you could be getting enough fluids already.

One easy rule of thumb is your urine color...it should be a very pale yellow. If it is darker that is a sign of dehydration.
  • Mudler
    Mudler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks all so much. Some very interesting replies but everyone pretty much agrees. I do agree with the people who say it can help lessen the feelings of hunger sometimes. Which is a good thing.
    Come Summer, it's not a problem for me, I can drink loads of it but as I said, this time of year i do find it difficult.
    Thanks again everyone for taking the time to reply :) Really helpful
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water with a squeeze of fresh lemon, and sometimes a little non-concentrate cranberry juice. I also count tea as part of water. I use my (warning TMI) pee as a guideline, if it's dark yellow I need to drink more!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/8-glasses-of-water-a-day-an-urban-myth-1.1196386

Even so, the professionals watching my weight loss insist on eight cups of water a day. Their concern specifically is kidney stones.

So I start my morning with a tea and carry a water bottle around with me all day. I sip all day.
  • Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    See, I love water so I easily drink 100-140oz a day. I also workout so I drink almost half while I am working out. The only time I dont get enough is when I am running errands on the weekends.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    hydration is important. the 8 glasses thing isn't a "rule"...it is just a reasonably good suggestion for staying hydrated. It is adequate for most people.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I drink on average of 11 cups a day. I really feel the difference if I only have say 6. I feel lethargic and not quite as sharp. For weight loss drinking more water is very important. Also I do not include drinks with caffeine as they are diuretics and will dehydrate you. Also for any alcoholic beverage I drink 1 cup of water extra per drink as it will also dehydrate you.

Same here. I count my water/ fluid intake as water ONLY. Any other beverage probably has caffeine, sugar, etc. and they dehydrate you. Others disagree, but it is very important to distinguish between both hunger and thirst in order to become healthy.