slight weight gain after starting body weight exercises.

Options
magsmichelle
magsmichelle Posts: 34 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I weigh in once a week. Last week I was 134.4. I also started a body weight exercise program two days before this week's weigh in. This week i was 136.2
I know weight fluctuates and i understand that completely. I would like to know if the water that your muscles hold onto when starting a strength training program can contribute to a higher number on the scale. i weigh my food on a food scale and measure all liquids precisely, so i know it was not a logging issue. My muscles are sore all over, including my abs (even though i never really worked them) were sore slightly on weigh in day. Those body weight exercises are no joke.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Your muscles are holding water from the new exercise. Completely normal and will subside as you continue. You were correct in assuming so.
  • magsmichelle
    magsmichelle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Your muscles are holding water from the new exercise. Completely normal and will subside as you continue. You were correct in assuming so.

thank you for confirming this. I am newer to myfitnesspal but have lost 70lbs on my own. I wish i would have been doing body weight stuff all along. I love the way it feels like i worked every part of my body, even though I don't think i did. I woke up on weigh in day feeling it in my shoulders, arms, back, stomach, thighs and butt. it was a wonderful feeling knowing that while it seemed like not a lot at the time, it obviously kicked my body's behind.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I did the same thing. Lost weight to get to maintenance with no lifting. All cardio. Definitely wasn't the smartest thing I have ever done.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Magsmichelle, you should be proud of your 70lbs. weight loss! That is amazing that you did it all on your own! May I suggest that in addition to the scale, you get a really good pair of Calipers, sometimes we don't actually see the results as far as strength that we'd like to. Fat Calipers are a great way to monitor body fat/versus muscle gains. I love mine. I know you're going to have so much great success in your journey! Think of where you've been to where you are now! Good luck on your fitness journey!