OCR/Mud Run Club

Options
esjones12
esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I have barely seen these mentioned on the forums and was wondering who else does them fairly seriously...a lot of people seemed to be focused on other types of training/nutrition than I am. Who else loves carrying 40 pound sandbags up black diamond ski slopes????

I'm basically addicted....My 2015 season starts in 128 days with the Spartan NJ Beast. I earned my trifecta this year and have over 10 Spartan Races lined up for 2015 (season pass holder!). I'm also trying out a Savage Race and Battle Frog for the first time. Doing my 3rd Tough Mudder as well. I've done a bunch of smaller mud runs as well. My goal is Spartan's VT Race and/or their World Championships - if you've seen the hints on social media that they may be moving it.

I'm basically working on losing weight (you run much easier up hills with less fat!) and increasing cardio and muscular strength/endurance. I've upped my workouts to an hr and a half to two and a half hours, but cut back to 5 days a week. I'm still recovering from a back injury but will be moving outside to hill and trail running very shortly. I do a lot of HIIT and bootcamp style stuff. I ordered a spear from Spartan's Matt "The Bear" and it's getting shipped out today so I'll be practicing that to help cut burpees on course too. So excited! Gear and race nutrition are also fun discussions if anyone is interested.....

Tell me about your OCR addiction and goals for next year! Also feel free to friend me, I could seriously talk OCR all day long...

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm not as serious as you are about them (usually do two mud runs/year) but I USED to be a runner (5K-marathon) and now concentrate on heavy lifting. The only time I run now is to prep for OCRs. I'd love to hear more about your training!
  • esjones12
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been following some Elite racers on Facebook and training seems to vary from person to person. Some are lean runners while others are bulkier and crush obstacles. The lean runners lose out huge with 30 burpee penalties, but then again the majority of the course is running. So pick your poison. There is definitely some leeway since the courses can vary so much.

Personally - my goal is Vermont. So I'm looking at a 7-9 hour 16+ mile mountain race. I have some prep races (similar terrain) scheduled to judge my training as I go. But right now I'm focused on increasing the duration that my HR is up. I've had issues with cramping during long races this year so I've been tweaking workout nutrition and getting my body used to working for longer periods of time. I do a class at the gym designed by a fellow Spartan (and certified personal trainer) where we superset three exercises for 10 minutes and then get a small break. A lot of the exercises help simulate race obstacles and build the muscles required for them. From my experience you need muscle strength to a certain level and then it's all about muscle endurance. I'm still working on being able to do pull ups so I can do the walls by myself and some of the crazier monkey bars - but that will come with more weight loss and practice!

I usually do 3 of the above style workouts a week 1-2 hours long. And then I do cardio after that. Plus 2 just cardio workouts. Lots of interval cardio on different types of machines. I will break it up and set the treadmill at a steep incline and grab a kettle bell and carry that on my shoulders (simulating a sand bag carry) for quite some time. << that makes you sweat like crazy! I'm looking to start trail running on the weekends here shortly and plan on doing some weighted runs and looking for steep hills to sprint up. So yeah...that's about it for now. I will tweak as needed. I'm still like 30 pounds from goal weight so losing the pounds will be my biggest help for sure.

I've been told to lunge until I can lunge no more to prep for Vermont. HAHA!
  • esjones12
    Options
    *bump*
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've done a few and they are a nice change of pace, but not really something I could get hooked on. I'll probably look at doing another TM this summer, but I doubt I'll ever do more than 1 a year/season.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    One of my goals way off in the distance, maybe this summer if I get down to anywhere near where I'm hoping to be, is to do a Tough Mudder.

But, that's on the backburner for now even though it is something I'm working toward.
  • esjones12
    Options
    One of my goals way off in the distance, maybe this summer if I get down to anywhere near where I'm hoping to be, is to do a Tough Mudder.

But, that's on the backburner for now even though it is something I'm working toward.

I've seen people of ALL ages, shapes, and sizes completing brutal courses. I always strongly encourage people to try them before they think they are ready. The feeling you get when you somehow climb over a 10ft wall, get up that half pipe, and cross that finish line is something you will only understand once you do it. It has personally fueled me to push harder at my fitness goals and become more consistent in my nutrition.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've never done OCR; just wanted to comment that it seems really awesome & I enjoyed reading your info about it... Maybe in the future!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    There is a pretty active NY spartan community on here.
  • esjones12
    Options
    I've never done OCR; just wanted to comment that it seems really awesome & I enjoyed reading your info about it... Maybe in the future!

You definitely should! Local 5k ones seem to be sprouting up everywhere. They aren't as awesome as the big names, the obstacles won't compare...but it's a good way to get your feet muddy without spending a lot of money :)
    There is a pretty active NY spartan community on here.

Where are they at?!?! I feel like all I hear about on here is heavy lifting.

I am planning on doing at least one of the weekends at Tuxedo this year! Possibly both if my plans for OH don't pan out. And depending on hotel costs lol. I'm in SE PA so I have access to a full season of racing with limited travel expenses required :)
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 Tough Mudders and 2 Spartan Sprints - aiming for a Spartan Sprint and Super this year and another Tough Mudder.
    There are a few groups on here for OCRs - try these:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/323-tough-mudders
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6486-obstacle-course-mud-run-racers
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

I've seen people of ALL ages, shapes, and sizes completing brutal courses. I always strongly encourage people to try them before they think they are ready. The feeling you get when you somehow climb over a 10ft wall, get up that half pipe, and cross that finish line is something you will only understand once you do it. It has personally fueled me to push harder at my fitness goals and become more consistent in my nutrition.

I don't feel comfortable doing something like that before I know that I might be somewhere within the realm of ready. At my current weight/fitness level, I am just getting to the point where I can jog for 75 seconds interspersed with a 60 second walking break for about 20 minutes, and I would have an extremely difficult time lifting my own bodyweight.

Something like pulling myself up a halfpipe sounds nearly impossible along with exceedingly dangerous due to the risk of injury.

Not only that, but it is winter, and I really... really hate the cold.

So, maybe sometime after winter when I've dropped a good 50lbs, and have gained a good amount of strength/endurance.

• esjones12
    Options
    Laurochka wrote: »
    I've done 2 Tough Mudders and 2 Spartan Sprints - aiming for a Spartan Sprint and Super this year and another Tough Mudder.
    There are a few groups on here for OCRs - try these:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/323-tough-mudders
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/6486-obstacle-course-mud-run-racers

I didn't even know Groups existed on here *mind blown* Thanks!!

@peachyfuzzle - Safety is always a concern! I of course do not know your health history or current fitness level. Just know that you do not have to be in super amazing shape to do one. The pictures they post and use on social media and their websites are deceiving. I've seen people that are bigger than the guy in your picture on courses! Like I said - I'm still 30 pounds from my goal weight, and certainly can't lift my own body weight over walls and can't do most of the monkey bars! The majority of our limits exist only in our minds :) Best of luck on your journey!!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i saw the schedule you posted for next year in the group girl. you are crazy. ;)

I completed my first Spartan Sprint in Malibu the other weekend. I loved it. I probably wouldn't travel for a OCR but it was fun. My bruises are starting to fade which makes me sad.

I'm assuming you're in the chicked group on facebook?
  • esjones12
    Options
    i saw the schedule you posted for next year in the group girl. you are crazy. ;)

I completed my first Spartan Sprint in Malibu the other weekend. I loved it. I probably wouldn't travel for a OCR but it was fun. My bruises are starting to fade which makes me sad.

I'm assuming you're in the chicked group on facebook?

Haha...well I figure in a few years I won't have the time and money to indulge so I should take advantage of those resources now!

Congrats on Malibu, I heard it was a good course. Give it another two races and you'll want to travel for them, haha! And yes, battle scars (bruises) are the best! What is this chicked group on Facebook you speak of?
  • veganbettie
    Options
    it was an awesome course.

lol i'm sure i will. :) i just messaged you.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    raises hand hermoine style

my new Tough Mudder season starts May 9 in Chicago, I have 4 lined up over the summer and Im going for my 10xMudder headband when I do the WTM (not next year, Im just doing the pit crew next year in Vegas)

airhump.gif

it is a very serious addiction.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I tried out the chicked group on FB, it was exceptionally difficult to jump in and make friends. It's pretty closed off and 'hardcore only or go home' which doesnt really fit with my really happy, really excited about having a blast while facing my fears approach :D

mebbe cause Im mostly TM and didn't ever do a second Spartan cause I didn't really like the sprint.
  • esjones12
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    raises hand hermoine style
    my new Tough Mudder season starts May 9 in Chicago, I have 4 lined up over the summer and Im going for my 10xMudder headband when I do the WTM (not next year, Im just doing the pit crew next year in Vegas)

it is a very serious addiction.

I tried out the chicked group on FB, it was exceptionally difficult to jump in and make friends. It's pretty closed off and 'hardcore only or go home' which doesnt really fit with my really happy, really excited about having a blast while facing my fears approach :D

mebbe cause Im mostly TM and didn't ever do a second Spartan cause I didn't really like the sprint.

It is an addiction....my entire tax return = my traveling funds lol!

10x TM headband is no joke! That will be awesome. WTM sounds freaking crazy. Amelia Boone is half crazy, half hero to bounce back from the knee surgery and not only win the women's division but CRUSH the majority of the men! I too would love to pit crew there sometime! Which Sprint did you do? Spartan and TM's definitely are different. I tend to be competitive and go hard....but in the end, it's all about having fun and proving you can do things you didn't think you could.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    i love the group. I haven't really made friends per say but everyone is super supportive.

Maybe you were in it during a weird time or something.

Why didn't you like the Sprint?
  • veganbettie
    Options
    What do you think is the hardest OCR?