Searching for Fellow Hikers

Options
Hello! Just looking to acquire some MFP friends who love to hike! It's my goal to thru-hike the PCT someday (hopefully sooner rather than later) and would love to connect with souls who love the trail as much as I do. Motivation from like-minded people can be so helpful on this weight loss journey!

(And this is a repost... Not sure if there is a hiking group on MFP?) :)

Replies

• SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hope to be able to hike someday! Before I gained so much weight we hiked a lot. My dream bucket list would be to some of the Appalachian trail.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, I new to hiking after my partner suggested we go one day back in August. He used to do it a lot before we got together, and I'd never considered myself much of an outdoors kind of person. ;) But, that one time was all it took and I'm now really looking forward to doing it more once springtime arrives again. We have lots of wonderful places to hike in western New York – though would love to go beyond as well!

Feel free to friend me if you like. Are you very experienced?
  • lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would love to do the AT as well. I've read Becoming Odyssa twice (just finished my second read of it, actually) and loved it. My husband and I hike quite a bit. We live in Western Washington, so there's no shortage of hikes/snowshoe treks that we can take. :)
  • zs_snowflake
    Options
    I've been prepping to go backpacking as soon as I can. Since this it would be my first time camping, I plan on doing a day hike and overnight at a tent only campsite. I plan on getting my gear together this winter and begin camping/backpacking this spring!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I love to hike - I'm a wildlife biologist so I'm out hiking around in the field a lot in the spring and summer. My husband and I do at least one good backpacking trip a year too, and he's planning on doing a big chunk of the Colorado Trail this year. Some of our best friends did the PCT a couple years ago (and the AT before that) and loved it!! Anyway, feel free to add me if you want :) It's winter here in Wyoming though, so I need to move on to x-c skiing for the next 6 months....
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I love hiking. Did a short one yesterday with one of my furbabies.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love hiking, but I live in Northwest Kansas, which means I don't have the opportunity to do it often (unless walking in a flat field counts!). My husband and I usually travel every 3 months to get some hiking in. On Christmas Day, we're flying to Arizona to get some hiking done around the Phoenix area. Mostly, my feed is full of my heavy lifting pursuits, but hiking comes up every once in a while. Feel free to friend me.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I love hiking. It's definitely my favorite outdoor activity. I only have one picture of myself on here and it's during a hike. :) Feel free to add me.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I hike all the time, and have also been thinking of thru-hiking the PCT.

Here's one hiking group on MFP that I know of: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/547-hikers-and-backpackers
  • lika50
    Options
    I hike all the time, and have also been thinking of thru-hiking the PCT.

Here's one hiking group on MFP that I know of: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/547-hikers-and-backpackers

Thank you!

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this I joined the group!
    Yes, I new to hiking after my partner suggested we go one day back in August. He used to do it a lot before we got together, and I'd never considered myself much of an outdoors kind of person. ;) But, that one time was all it took and I'm now really looking forward to doing it more once springtime arrives again. We have lots of wonderful places to hike in western New York – though would love to go beyond as well!

Feel free to friend me if you like. Are you very experienced?

I too am from Western NY...Near Rochester and we do have a wealth of places to go! I live minutes from a bunch of awesome trails, and then there are more when we travel! LOVE IT! SO does my dog! He lives for woods and leaves and sticks (well and swimming!) being a lab!
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hayduke Lives... I am an avid hiker and am most glad to meet others of similar intent. Please send a FR!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I went to the University of Rochester. I can't tell you how much I loved living there!
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I guess you read the book "the wild" or saw the movie. About a girl who hiked it. Real story. Inspiring. I am not into backpacks. Prefer hour hikes, camas lake hikes. Try them. They are lovely.
  • lika50
    Options
    I did read Wild. Haven't see the movie yet. Loved hiking long before that, though! My husband and I love to day hike and backpack equally. Another trail that I want to do is the Pacific Northwest Trail, which may actually come first as it's a) closer to us (we're in WA) and b) it's shorter so I would only have to get a small leave of absence from work to do it. (I'm pretty sure I'll have to quit my job entirely to do the PCT.) :)
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    lika50 wrote: »
    Hello! Just looking to acquire some MFP friends who love to hike! It's my goal to thru-hike the PCT someday (hopefully sooner rather than later) and would love to connect with souls who love the trail as much as I do. Motivation from like-minded people can be so helpful on this weight loss journey!

Hi! Hiking and daily walking are the foundation of my fitness, health and weight loss. Of course I engage in other exercise as well, but in large part, I do these things simply to stay in shape for hiking season! I am not a thru-hiker (just not my thing), but I section hike and do plenty of weekend hikes during the summer months here in Colorado. I am currently working on the Colorado Trail, and parts of the Continental Divide Trail. I have Denver to Mount Massive/Leadville complete. I will probably do the lower 5 sections of the CT this summer in one trip, and then another 5 or so sections on overnighters on the weekends. Beyond that, I have a group of people that I go with to hike our list of 13ers/14ers in the state. I can usually get about 5 or 6 of those in each Summer as well. Good luck and best wishes in your hiking endeavors, and friend me if you want to talk about trail food, gear or experiences, etc.