Eat to Live Modifications

Options
So, I just bought my Eat to Live cookbook by Dr. Fuhrman, along with already having my Eat to Live book. I've looked through it and, wow, this is expensive and lots of food preparation time!

If there is anyone who has done this diet, could you please make some suggestions as to how to modify it a bit, even if it steps out of the general rules a little?

Thanks

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be easier to just eat the things you like in moderation and keep track of your calories?
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm looking for a quick fix. Is there any thread or are there any ideas from anyone as to how to only eat 1200-1300 calories/day? Because I have always struggled to feel satiated with that, and am looking to lose 10 pounds by July.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm looking for a quick fix. Is there any thread or are there any ideas from anyone as to how to only eat 1200-1300 calories/day? Because I have always struggled to feel satiated with that, and am looking to lose 10 pounds by July.

There are no quick fixes.
    Set reasonable goals.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Set reasonable goals.

^^This. Also, with only 10 lbs to lose, 1200-1300 calories is probably too low. I'd be having a hard time feeling full on that as well.
  • rosestring
    Options
    So, I'm going to change the pace here a bit and ask this: What are good foods that are low in calories but keep you full?
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    So, I'm going to change the pace here a bit and ask this: What are good foods that are low in calories but keep you full?

You won't feel full if you aren't eating enough. Hunger is your body's way of telling you that you need to feed it more.

Having said that, high protein foods will keep you full longer (Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, meat)
    As for the low in calories part it depends on how many calories you eat. 1200-1300 calories a day is pretty low so fitting enough food in there might be hard.

Are you exercising on top of only eating that amount?
  • rosestring
    Options
    Well, I really haven't been staying with that calorie limit. I have a tendency to binge when I get hungry...

But, yes, I do exercise. Mainly walking, but I have started doing pilates lately. I'm still trying out things. I used to use the elliptical and Jillian Michaels' 30DS video, but I had a difficult time keeping up with it. I really don't know where to begin. I'd really prefer to lose 15 pounds by July (instead of 10), but I realize that's unrealistic.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We buy enormous amounts of frozen vegetables. Those big generic bags. We focus on broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables.

I take out 2 to 4 bags every night, put them on the counter, and let them defrost. In the a.m., preheat the oven to 420, spray two cookie sheets with Pam, dust with pepper. Spread the veggies out. Put them in the oven when it hits 420. Do all the a.m. stuff (which takes about 30 minutes) by which time the veggies are done. Place them on top of the stove to cool.

We add them to everything: salads, soups, chili. Sometimes I'll just have a big bowl of veggies with some silvered almonds on top.

We also use almond milk instead of dairy (we don't do dairy or meat.)

On my Amazon subscribe and save, I have Amy's spicy organic vegetarian chili (in a 24 can case) and Amy's veggie soups (in cases). I get a case of each every month or so.

For breakfast: Oatmeal with defrosted frozen blueberries or strawberries. For snacks: whatever apples or other fruits are in season.

Our grocery bill has gone down by 40% since we started eating this way. I would say it takes about a month to kind of get into the groove..but I feel so good, I can't imagine NOT doing this!
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat to Live is a good meal plan but it's expensive because it eschews lean meat in favour of pounds of leafy vegetables.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nutrient dense, high fiber vegetables. (Probably what Eat to Live is based on.)
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    I haven't found it to be that expensive. If you have organic produce delivery or shop at Whole Foods, yes, that can be pricey. But, going frozen, there is always tons of stuff you can buy in bulk.

I must say, however, even if it were more expensive, my health and the way I feel makes it a great investment.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Set reasonable goals.

beat me to it ..

OP ..

eat in deficit
    get a food scale and weigh/measure/log everything
    work out/move more
    eat the foods you enjoy, just less of them...
    repeat until desired results
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with this:

"You won't feel full if you aren't eating enough. Hunger is your body's way of telling you that you need to feed it more. "

Up your calories and eat normal food for awhile. See how you feel.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Fullness: Fiber!

Try tracking your fiber grams per day.

Yes, you need adequate protein and all that other good stuff, but I find the more fiber I eat the easier it is to stay full.,

The broccoli I mentioned, apples, all have considerable amounts of fiber.
  • julgwill
    julgwill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    you really should read the book, because all of the advice here has been terrible. Sugar and processed foods are killing the world, and you don't have to eat at a deficit if you eat healthy foods. Read Eat To Live, or the newer book, The End Of Dieting, in order to understand what "eating what you like, but less of it" actually does to your body. Eat To Live is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle, and it is designed to help people combat disease and obtain optimal health. If you want to keep eating soda, brownies, and pizza, then Eat To Live is not your weight loss plan, because it is for so much more than weight loss. If you only eat one slice of pizza, you'll lose weight, but you'll need heart disease and blood pressure meds and chemotherapay by the time you're sixty, just like the rest of america. Harsh, but true.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    julgwill wrote: »
    you really should read the book, because all of the advice here has been terrible. Sugar and processed foods are killing the world, and you don't have to eat at a deficit if you eat healthy foods. Read Eat To Live, or the newer book, The End Of Dieting, in order to understand what "eating what you like, but less of it" actually does to your body. Eat To Live is not a quick fix, it is a lifestyle, and it is designed to help people combat disease and obtain optimal health. If you want to keep eating soda, brownies, and pizza, then Eat To Live is not your weight loss plan, because it is for so much more than weight loss. If you only eat one slice of pizza, you'll lose weight, but you'll need heart disease and blood pressure meds and chemotherapay by the time you're sixty, just like the rest of america. Harsh, but true.

LOL
  • julgwill
    julgwill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    yeah LOL... I eat whenever I feel like it, and I have lost 15 pounds following these recommendations, and it's not stopping. I sleep better, my skin has cleared up, I have tons of energy when I exercise, and I never have to count a single calorie. I just eat.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I bought the book, read it and threw it in the bin. No way I'm going to eat like that for the rest of my life however short it may or maynot be.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    rosestring wrote: »
    So, I just bought my Eat to Live cookbook by Dr. Fuhrman, along with already having my Eat to Live book. I've looked through it and, wow, this is expensive and lots of food preparation time!

If there is anyone who has done this diet, could you please make some suggestions as to how to modify it a bit, even if it steps out of the general rules a little?

Thanks

I am not familiar with the book, but I can say the meals I prepare for myself are healthy, nutritious and low-calorie. These are a few sample meals I made myself that were 250 calories or less. (Yes, I eat meals over 250 but these are examples).

As for expense – I buy based on “per meal cost” not “per pound.” I literally only get what I need for a meal. For example, I will ask the seafood department for “3-4” small-medium size Wild-caught USA scallops (not a half-pound). Tons of other examples. You can eat well and at the same cost as cheeseburger, fries and shake at Burger King.

Good luck to you. MFP, a food scale, walking etc. have helped me a lot. Good luck.

MealSamples_border_zps65f882d4.jpg

73641431.png

• coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love the Eat to Live philosophy which is to eat nutrient dense foods as much as possible. High nutrient, low calorie foods are a great way to maximize nutrition while minimizing calories.

Eat to Live is not an expensive way to eat, but I do find there is a fair amount of prep work cutting up veggies. Most people recommend doing the prep work of chopping vegetables on the weekend so you have things ready to go for the week. I don't do that, but then I work out of my home, so it's a little easier for me.

To save money, and eat healthy, you can focus on eating beans (which are super cheap) and they will help you feel full. This has been a real winner for me in terms of helping me stay under my calorie goals while feeling full. Beans are super nutritious and because they are high in fiber they keep you feeling full longer and stabilize blood sugar. We had black bean burgers last night with avocado, tomato, onion, mushrooms, romaine lettuce....these were awesome and all those foods are nutritious and relatively inexpensive (except for avocados maybe).

Another versatile and inexpensive food I make is to take a bag of frozen peas or corn, a can of black beans, a chopped onion, a bunch of chopped cilantro, chopped purple cabbage, chopped red pepper and mix it all together in a bowl. then add a lot of cumin (to taste) and some lime juice to taste. Mix it all and then you have a giant bowl of veggies that you can use for tacos (it's amazing with siracha mayo), or a salad or side dish or whatever you want. Add or subtract whatever veggies you prefer. I have made this for a lot of people and have yet to find anyone who doesn't love it!
    If you want, you can add smoked chicken or fish or other meat. here is a pic:
    yetyzx5ricca.jpg

Eat to Live is an adjustment as is any version of changing the way you eat. But I have had a ton of fun learning new recipes. there are several great blogs online that you can draw recipes from. I love the Oh She Glows blog.