Trainer or NOT

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I met with a personal training (sic) and thinking about letting him train me. Was told I train 2 times a week and follow a meal plan by him. I have to text him my meals every 2.5 hrs. No eating after 8 pm.
    What agency is he accredited by, and does their accredidation (or his degree) include nutrition?
    (For example, the American College of Sports Medicine certifies personal trainers.)

If it doesn't, then I wouldn't pay attention to what he says about what or how much to eat unless you can verify it's good information. (Like finding the same info yourself on a respectible research / accredidation site.)
    http://www.eatright.org/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Sounds very controlling, and probably not healthy.
    YOU need to do this. Don't give control to someone else.
    His training consist of running, planks, lots of outside exercise, etc.
    A progressive cardio program, and a progressive weightlifting program, is a good idea.
    Don't jump into doing so much at once, because you'll overload & burn out.
    Seriously, the first time I got on a treadmill I think I went for 5 minutes. Felt pretty pathetic, but I went back & did it the next day, and the next, and started adding a minute, then adding speed.
    is a trainer necessary for someone like me or should I just clean eat and force myself to the gym at least 4-5 times per week for an hr?
    No, it's not necessary.
    But if you want to hire a trainer to design a program & teach you how to do exercises correctly (so you don't hurt yourself) that would be a good investment. Just make sure that s/he knows that's what you expect, not an ongoing rah-rah person that you're going to be paying forever.
    Get the basics, then do it yourself.
    The gym I am joining is Planet Fitness and I know they have some trainers there as well.
    Their quality varies depending on their certification, so ask the one at your gym what her/his training is, what is her/his licensing body, experience, etc.
    They could at least show you how to use the machines safely.

I've been at PF for a couple years, only seriously using it this year. I learned most of what I do on my own, but when I wanted a change I asked the trainer at the gym to show me how to use free weights (I'd just been using the machines until then).

51637601.png
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I really liked having a trainer. Seemed progress was faster as there was no fear when lifting. I.e. having a good spotter.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    There are many different ways to use a trainer
    - x3 per week to be your nanny and workout buddy. Hold you accountable and push you.
    - x1 per week to check-in, and also learn new techniques
    - several hrs to help you get started - create a plan and teach you the basics. Follow up hrs as needed.

I recommend the third option as a minimum, and then more frequently as budget allows.
  • Chines03
    Chines03 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow. Really good information. Thank you everyone.

To answer a few questions, no I do not believe the trainer is a certified nutrition. He did state that he needs our blood type to know what foods will be allowed and not while on his plan. This will be a question that I will ask him.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I think checking in with a personal trainer can be a good thing. However, I think that once you've gotten yourself set up and in a routine, that you'd only need to check with him once in a while to make sure your form is right - making sure you've not forgotten the best way to do the exercises he's suggested.

As for nutrition, I'm not the biggest fan of having the trainers do the diet plans. I think a bariatric dietician would be better.

About 20 years ago, I got set up with a trainer at a gym, he showed me what to do based on the goals I had at the time. I had an index card that I'd mark things down on, and he'd look at it periodically and ask me how things were going once in a while. I made a lot of progress getting into shape that way.

At that time, I really didn't know what to do about diet and didn't understand nutrition well enough.

It was only a few years ago when I started working with a bariatric dietician that I began to understand the best way to do things for ME relative to my food intake. Logging foods on here was a monster help. That way, I understood where my calories were being spent and could better make adjustments to help me feel fuller longer, and get more "mileage" out of what I was eating. (The healthier the food you eat, the more of it you can have!)

Make sure you're doing what's best for you on this journey you're on, and that he fully understands your goals and where you want to be. Otherwise, you're on his path and not your own.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    most bariatrics trained professionals I have met are top notch.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

To answer a few questions, no I do not believe the trainer is a certified nutrition. He did state that he needs our blood type to know what foods will be allowed and not while on his plan. This will be a question that I will ask him.

do not go to that trainer.

he's an idiot.
  • janicept77
    Options
    Planet Fitness offers free classes as part of the membership. You may want to go to those first then see if you need to pay a trainer. I lost over 50 pounds a few years ago and started at Curves. There was only one workout so there was really no wrong way to go. The receptionist would help me be accountable and they would call people that hadn't showed up in awhile. After Curves near me closed I joined Planet Fitness because it was cheap and I was in the habit of going.

For me the biggest obstacle was making going to the gym a habit. I had to go almost everyday because I knew if I started to skip I would start skipping more and more. Which eventually happened and I gained back about 12 pounds from my smallest. I've since joined a family owned gym near my house that has classes and I've already lost 1.5 pounds in less then a week. It took me years to find something that worked. You can also pay for a trainer once or twice a month just to keep yourself on track and update your program.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Blood type? lol.

Oh that reminds me, gotta call my doctor.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight on my own, and then I got a trainer to rebuild/recomp. I told him in our first discussion that I'd be his best student ever because I knew I would adhere--which I have and I've seen great results. He pushes me so much farther than I ever would push myself. I've realized I have a confidence problem in that I never think I can lift what he suggests--and then I do!

With that said, if I had a different personality (if I weren't someone who gives 150% to everything), I could be throwing my money out the window with a trainer. It still comes down to you and what you're willing to do/give.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    He did state that he needs our blood type to know what foods will be allowed and not while on his plan. This will be a question that I will ask him.

This is the big red flag, to me. This trainer does understand that you're a beginner, just trying to get things under control and build some good habits, and NOT someone training for the Olympics, right?

I can't tell you if blood type impacts your body's response to a diet, because I haven't done any research on it. But it does sound like this trainer's trying to sell you a bill of goods that you probably don't need, yet because, from what you posted, it sounds like you need someone who's going to help you get motivated to get into the gym or otherwise begin exercising regularly.

As intrusive as this individual is, between asking for your blood type, telling you what foods you'll be allowed from the outset, wanting you to report your meals to him every 2.5 hours (which means he probably will be expecting you to eat every 2.5 hours), etcetera, I, personally, would be deterred.
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I was the same way and questioned if I needed a trainer. I tried a gym membership that HAS training classes and I couldn't get myself to go. Having a trainer had held me accountable to actually show up to class, work out and have the trainer push me beyond my limits (in a safe way). I pay an astronomitical price ($180 a month for 7 days a week) compared to the gym ($30 a month) but it's been far worth it.

I did try working out on my own and it just didn't work. I needed accountability.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options

Alarm bells should go off the moment anyone asks about blood types and foods that go with it...The so called blood type diet is a fad, and I don't want someone who believes in fads telling me what to eat.
    It would actually make me doubt his abilities as a trainer too...
    I lost over 50 lbs by eating whatever food my Weight Watcher allowance gave me.....
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

do not go to that trainer.

he's an idiot.

Yep.....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The only reason a trainer should need to know your blood type is if you happen to fall, rip a vein open, are bleeding out, and they need to tell the paramedics when they arrive.
  • dbmata
    Options
    maybe he's a vampire.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    First off let me say, I hate exercising. Don't know why, but I do. I plan to change that. I met with a personal training and thinking about letting him train me. Was told I train 2 times a week and follow a meal plan by him. I have to text him my meals every 2.5 hrs. No eating after 8 pm. Workouts with him will be a hr on training days. Days I'm not training with him, I need to be in the gym. Weigh in once per week. His training consist of running, planks, lots of outside exercise, etc. I know it is going to be very hard but worth it if I can hang in there. My question is, is a trainer necessary for someone like me or should I just clean eat and force myself to the gym at least 4-5 times per week for an hr? I just don't want to waste money. The gym I am joining is Planet Fitness and I know they have some trainers there as well.

Sounds like a quack with some certification from a hippy organization, find a new gym and a new trainer.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have worked with a trainer for a year now. I will say you have to mix well together. My trainer and I work great together. She pushes me to do stuff that left to my own I would never in a million years try. For me, I need someone to hold me accountable. I know I should be able to do that myself but I am human enough to know that is when I get into trouble and fall off the wagon so to speak. I think every last penny I have spent working with her is money well spent. I look at is as an investment in my health and myself. She was the one that told me to log my food into MFP.

I will add that I had success with my trainer because I bought into the program. Meaning, I followed the plan she laid out for me to a "t."
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    When I started, instead of a personal trainer I joined a Boot Camp class. What worked for me was:
    1 - less expensive than a personal trainer
    2 - getting outside for the exercise
    3 - learning lots of different exercise options
    4 - learning that sometimes I can actually enjoy exercise
    5 - input on my eating