Isn't anyone doing CrossFit????

Options
I'm doing Crossfit several times a week. Don't know how many calories I'm burning but I'm guessing it's a lot. Anyone else doing CrossFit and gauging their workout? Any suggestions?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I do CrossFit. You can use the circuit training entry in the exercise tracker, which will get you "kind of" close. I didn't trust it so I wore an HRM for a year and recorded some trends.

I'm 5'4, 136-140, and I burn about 336 for the whole hour of CrossFit for a regular day. For a day with a hero WOD or a crazy amount of cardio (say, 2 mile run), I'll bump it to 400.

• jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I currently do Crossfit twice a week, will be moving to 3x in January. I wear a HRM during the entire class and log calorie burn that way since each class is different in effort etc. You can log it as circuit training, it's the closest thing that MFP offers outside of creating your own exercise, just keep in mind MFP tends to over-estimate burn.
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do bootcamp so similar to crossfit and generally log about 500 calories for a 60 min class. There's been some classes where we literally run stairs for 30 min of a 60 min class (interval training) and estimate those days around 700 based on what my trainer says.
  • BoutThatBass
    Options
    I don't know if this is the same in every gym, but at my Crossfit gym we have four sections to the workout - warm-up, stretching, strength training, and then the WOD. I log the warm-up as calisthenics, I don't log the stretching because the calorie burn is negligible, I log the strength training as strength training (there's a generic "strength training" entry in the cardiovascular exercise log), and then I log the WOD as circuit training.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    megstoo wrote: »
    I do bootcamp so similar to crossfit and generally log about 500 calories for a 60 min class. There's been some classes where we literally run stairs for 30 min of a 60 min class (interval training) and estimate those days around 700 based on what my trainer says.

Same here. I work with a trainer and she has me doing crossfit type of stuff with cardio added through out the hour. She says most days are typically 700 but I like to go low end and just put in 500. It seems to be working for me.

Confession- after I do box jumps and handstand push-ups I look around to see if any saw. It sort makes me feel like a bad *kitten*! Of course no one is watching. :D
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    "I do bootcamp so similar to crossfit "
    "crossfit type of stuff with cardio added "

out of curiosity what do you mean by this? I mean that the idea of barbell complexes, kettlebells, bw exercises, and barbell lifts existed long before crossfit and now the word "crossfit" is morphing into something else -- what types of movements are you doing?

cheers
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to do crossfit and I'd log the warm-up as calisthenics, the strength training as strength training and as for the WoD, I'd gauge how hard I felt I had worked. On a heart-pumping, *kitten*-kicking day I'd log it as jumping rope fast (11 calories per minute). On days where I didn't feel like I put all of my effort in I'd put it down as circuit training. I lost weight consistently during this time so take that as you will.