Anybody here good at guessing calories based on a picture? Here's a Cobb Salad.

Options
I'm shooting for around 3000 calories per day, on a pretty slow bulk. To make a long story short, for the next 12 days I will be eating a Cobb Salad from a bar near my house.

It would be nice to know the approximate calorie count so I'm getting enough food. Here is a picture of the salad:

http://i.imgur.com/oHRwD4l.jpg

I know the dressing is 100kcal per 1 oz, and the two cups equal approx. 3 oz. So 300 calories there. I've estimated the salad itself at about 700 kcal for a total of 1000. But does that seem to high? Like I said, I want to make sure I'm not eating too little. And it's only for 12 days so it's not a huge deal, I know, but I just wanted to get some more thoughts.

Any guesses?

Replies

  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Looks like 4 oz chicken meat so I would say 6 because I'm probably wrong, 3 or 4 slices of bacon crumbled, 2 to 4 oz shredded cheese plus the veggies.

    The dressing looks like way more than 3 tablespoons. Are you positive on the amount and the calorie count per tablespoon?

    FWIW, the cobb salad at the Cheesecake factory restaurant is listed at 1890 calories. I don't know if that includes the dressing.

    55835802.png
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sodakat wrote: »
    Looks like 4 oz chicken meat so I would say 6 because I'm probably wrong, 3 or 4 slices of bacon crumbled, 2 to 4 oz shredded cheese plus the veggies.

    The dressing looks like way more than 3 tablespoons. Are you positive on the amount and the calorie count per tablespoon?

    FWIW, the cobb salad at the Cheesecake factory restaurant is listed at 1890 calories. I don't know if that includes the dressing.

    55835802.png


    I estimated the dressing around 3 "ounces", not tablespoons. 3 oz = 6 tbsp. That seems CRAZY high for a Cobb Salad... wow.
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just checked the CF website... the Cobb Salad has 1890mg of sodium. Total calories is only 930kcal. I'm going to *assume* that includes the dressing, as the dressing is listed with the item on the menu,
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should lower my estimate from 1000kcal with the dressing to around 900? I'm estimating the pint of beer (5.5% sweet stout) at about 350 calories as well. Hah, lots of estimating this week. My gains will surely be low. :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Those seem to be 2oz cups, so you probably have 3.75oz of dressing right there. I'd say 4oz of chicken tops (maybe closer to 3 really), 1.5oz of cheese (could just be 1 though), about 2 eggs (or 1.5), maybe 2 slices of bacon?
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Those seem to be 2oz cups, so you probably have 3.75oz of dressing right there. I'd say 4oz of chicken tops (maybe closer to 3 really), 1.5oz of cheese (could just be 1 though), about 2 eggs (or 1.5), maybe 2 slices of bacon?

    you may be right about the dressing. usually a bit gets left behind in the cups as well as the bottom of the plate... so the amount I consume is probably a little less. but that's likely splitting hairs at this point.

    I just don't want to lose my gains, but don't want to go TOO far over my 3000kcal goal, either. The struggle is real, haha.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well having to estimate food is always a major pain in the butt, honestly.
  • chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Offer to buy the chef a beer if he'll tell you about how much of everything he puts on the salad.
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    tectactoe wrote: »
    I just checked the CF website... the Cobb Salad has 1890mg of sodium. Total calories is only 930kcal. I'm going to *assume* that includes the dressing, as the dressing is listed with the item on the menu,

    I would double check that. Just guessing I would say the salad looks like about 850 calories without the dressing.
  • sweet10lana
    sweet10lana Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My estimate, 820 to 850 cal without dressing.