DEXA Scan - One year results! Have to tell someone!

Options
aylajane
aylajane Posts: 979 Member
edited December 2014 in Success Stories
So I started working with a trainer a little over a year ago, and according to my Aria scale I was nearly 40% body fat. Over the first 4 months it dropped steadily to about 27%. But for the last 6-8 months it has hovered between 25 and 27% consistently.

I started reading how it wasnt really accurate once you have more muscle, so I changed it to "athletic" mode and it put me at 19-21%! I didnt believe it, so I changed it back. My trainer wanted me to start my first bulk, but I wanted to have a good baseline of where I was first, so I scheduled a DEXA scan... Just got back from it and am so high I can barely sit down :) There is not really anyone I can share my excitement with (who would understand) except my trainer and I havent seen him yet, so decided to share here!

The scan said 17.0% !!!!!!!! I came home and officially started my bulk with a donut and a bagel bite :)

9f1f5a30-e5d5-449d-aba7-6b085f03ab1c_zpsdb532340.jpg

The bottom two pictures are 10 months apart and only 15 pounds different! The scan guy couldnt believe I weighed as much as I did (105 pounds of muscle! 22 pounds fat, 5.5 pounds "other" stuff) - I am literally flying right now.

Off to lift some heavy, heavy weights and start eating!! I started out with him eating about 1000-1200 calories a day, which he made me increase pretty quickly. Over the past few months I have averaged 1800-1900 per day. Now I am eating 2100-2300 per day for awhile... Maybe more if I dont start gaining :)

Replies

• larsivy
    larsivy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    congrats, you look amazing!
  • TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    omg you look amazingggg! congrats on the results!

oh, quick question, how tall are ya?
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Holy guacamole that is awesome! Congrats on your success!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    congrats, i had a bod pod done and found similar results
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Great job! I wish the dexa scan place closest to me wasn't so far away, I really am due to get another one.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    looking REALLY good!!! congrats!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know I could not do it without my trainer!
  • aylajane
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am 5'5". Thanks everyone, I was just so excited :)

And I can now deadlift 225 lbs! Bench press is up to 115 lbs, and squats at 175 lbs... Hoping to get all those up in the next 3 months while eating a lot, gaining maybe 5 pounds... then doing the scan again! It is really cool - it shows you the body fat % for each body part separately, so I will know exactly where I gain fat or muscle for next time!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Amazing. You look so good!!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do a DEXA scan. Was there anything about the experience you didn't like? Was the person administering the scan knowledgeable about fitness or did he just push buttons?

Congrats by the way! You're results are inspiring.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Super awesome!! Wow! Especially impressed by your tenacity.
  • aylajane
    Options
    DEXA is actually a bone density scan that happens to calculate your body fat, lean muscle, "tissue" and organs in grams during the scan. It is not supposed to be a fitness test, it is a diagnostic tool for osteoporosis or osteopenia. For example, I found out that while my overall bone density was considered "normal", my hips (especially right one) and spine (by vertebrae) are in the top of the osteopenia range. He suggested I start taking vitamin D (he said EVERYONE needs that) and calcium right away and consistently as they are already more prone to fracture than my other bones in my arms and legs.

But he was basically a technician who just administered the scan. If your doctor ordered it to screen for osteoporosis, I assume they would discuss that with you. He walked through the 12 pages of results with me explaining what each meant, but he was by no means a fitness type of person.
  • aylajane
    Options
    The scan took literally 15 minutes, and was just laying on a table fully clothed (no jeans or metal) while it took the images. Much like a cat scan or xray.
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well Done! Well Done! Well Done! Well Done!
  • aylajane
    Options

Thank you! I learned in the last year that (like many things in life), losing weight and getting strong is a series of disciplines:

Discipline #1) SHOW UP (every day you are scheduled to work out)
    Discipline #2) DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD (even if it is just you telling yourself, or having a trainer tell you what to do... and do what you are supposed to even when you are not with the trainer)
    Discipline #3) TRY YOUR BEST (every time. sometimes your best is better than other times, but "trying really hard" is all you have to do.. no perfection or expectations otherwise are necessary).
    Discipline #4) GIVE IT TIME (repeat #1-3 for a long time. Dont keep looking at the clock or calendar. Just do it, and fun things will happen very slowly over time).

• aylajane
    Options
    Juvenica wrote: »
    Well Done! Well Done! Well Done! Well Done!

• mona52bask
    mona52bask Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look awesome. Thanks for sharing and giving the great advice. Especially the "it takes time". You started in 2009 and now you're looking great. You are an inspiration. :)
  • aylajane
    edited December 2014
    Options
    mona52bask wrote: »
    You look awesome. Thanks for sharing and giving the great advice. Especially the "it takes time". You started in 2009 and now you're looking great. You are an inspiration. :)

Thank you! But it did not really take that long... More like consistent effort over two (non-consecutive) years.

The first pic from 2009 was a "before" pic that never had an after because I did not stick to the program/diet I chose for even a week. In 2011-12 I lost 50 pounds pretty fast, and ended up at 145 (top right) but was very "Skinny fat". I thought I looked good, took those pics and was completely CRUSHED at how bad I looked still.

Over the year after that I fell into depression and gained 20 pounds, putting me back at 165. That is when I started seeing a trainer (Oct 2013). The bottom left pic is after 4 months with him - I lost the 20 pounds, putting me back at 145... So the 2nd and 3rd pic are the same weight - but look at the sizes and stats! I was a whole size smaller in clothes, and all my measurements were smaller. Why? Lifting weights! I was starting to get some muscle .

I fell in love with lifting heavy as possible, and watching every "dent" (i.e. muscle definition shows up as dents between muscles, I always notice them first) show up on my body as the muscles starting becoming more defined and the fat started melting away. From Jan to May this year I lost the 15 pounds.. I have been at 130 since May - just slowing recomping from fat to muscle. That is why I was so frustrated that the body fat on my scale wouldnt change - I thought I was not making progress even though I could see it on my body! The pics prove it! But I like numbers... hence the scan :)

And every month he makes me eat more... and my lifts get higher... Its a self-feeding cycle. I was having a rough time in real life outside the gym early on, and he told me to think of the gym as the highlight of my day... And I did - it gave me something to look forward to every day, crank up the music, and feel like a badass :) I like that :)!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »

Thank you! I learned in the last year that (like many things in life), losing weight and getting strong is a series of disciplines:

Discipline #1) SHOW UP (every day you are scheduled to work out)
    Discipline #2) DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD (even if it is just you telling yourself, or having a trainer tell you what to do... and do what you are supposed to even when you are not with the trainer)
    Discipline #3) TRY YOUR BEST (every time. sometimes your best is better than other times, but "trying really hard" is all you have to do.. no perfection or expectations otherwise are necessary).
    Discipline #4) GIVE IT TIME (repeat #1-3 for a long time. Dont keep looking at the clock or calendar. Just do it, and fun things will happen very slowly over time).

Great!! I will save this!
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Congrats - that's awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!