VOODOO DONUTS

Options
went to see the hubby down in portland this weekend (we live in seattle he works in portland for now) made a stop for voodoo and man am i feeling it today. havent eaten any junk in months and i think my body is revolting! I am so lathargic and tired today, I can barly keep my eyes open at work. BLARH......lesson learned.

worst bit is they didnt even taste as good as i remember. :-/

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    yeah, the wait was stupid and they were mediocre the second and final time I tried them. Not doing that again. lol.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    yeah, the wait was stupid and they were mediocre the second and final time I tried them. Not doing that again. lol.

Boo, I had high hopes for them. Now I know what not to do in Portland. :smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I had that happen with lots of sweets I loved. Now it's kinda eh. After you have eaten healthy for a time your taste buds seem to change.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Not for nothing- but please don't assign negative things to a food when you purposefully have gone with out for so long.

People go on "diets" (often low fat).. and induldge in a pizza- or burger- that's high in fat- and wind up with the squirts and then say- ON THE BAD JUNK FOOD PIZZA IS BAD FOR MY BODY.

No. it's not.

But you drastically changed how you were eating- then re-introduced something wiht a completely different structure- and expect your body to be okay with it.

If I stopped eating veggies for 6 months- and only eat meat and minimal carbs- guess what- if I ate a big old bag of broccoli- you'd be my body would react poorly.

But it's not because the broccoli is inherently bad. It's only because my body went WAIIIT A HOT MINUTE_ I"M NOT USED TO THIS.

sorry.

I'm off my soap box now.
  • dbmata
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Boo, I had high hopes for them. Now I know what not to do in Portland. :smile:

If you can, hit up a place called Blue Hour. Top FREAKING NOTCH. Just don't do the tasting menu, not worth it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    oh and Hubers, for sandwich and a spanish coffee.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Go to Salt and Straw for amazing ice cream in Portland, Oregon!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Portland is for Beer. Period. :D

Last time we were in Portland we drove to Voodoo before 8am on Sunday morning on our way home so the trailer was attached - there were at least 30 people in the line up already and a "bouncer" on the door. Sorry - not for donuts.

Although I have enjoyed Top Pot donuts in Seattle a couple of times.

• DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    I had that happen with lots of sweets I loved. Now it's kinda eh. After you have eaten healthy for a time your taste buds seem to change.
    same
    here
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Love voodoo, gotta go during the off times and the wait is non existent.....
  • tanowicki
    tanowicki Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Voodoo donuts aren't that great but they are fun. Blue Star is the place to go for good donuts.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »

Rogue makes a chocolate raspberry Voodoo donut ale. Just sayin.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just moved from Seattle to Portland and we recently tried Voodoo Donuts & they are pretty overrated. So much sugar I could only eat half of one.
  • dbmata
    Options

Last time we were in Portland we drove to Voodoo before 8am on Sunday morning on our way home so the trailer was attached - there were at least 30 people in the line up already and a "bouncer" on the door. Sorry - not for donuts.

Although I have enjoyed Top Pot donuts in Seattle a couple of times.

Top Pot is actually good at least, can't say the same for Voodoo.

You should check out Pints Brewing next time you're in Portland.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »

and it's horrid. Tastes like extract, that should never be done to a beer.

Just Saiyan.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Just Saiyan.

Really? I liked it and I don't normally like flavored beers. Although I had drank other beer the time I tried it so maybe I didn't mind so much.

Have you tried the bacon donut one?
  • dbmata
    Options

Just Saiyan.

Really? I liked it and I don't normally like flavored beers. Although I had drank other beer the time I tried it so maybe I didn't mind so much.

I've tried a few bacon beers, just don't cotton to them.

Which is funny, because I love oyster stouts, and those have a distinct jerky/cured meat flavor.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Just Saiyan.

I've tried a few bacon beers, just don't cotton to them.

Which is funny, because I love oyster stouts, and those have a distinct jerky/cured meat flavor.
    Smoked beers are the worst. I can't stand drinking something that tastes like bacon. Not really sure why. I have no idea why I like sours since that can be like tasting vinegar. Guess I'm just weird...
  • dbmata
    Options
    Have you had the Duchesse? That's the only sour that I can drink. The rest make me want to don my pickelhaube and punch someone.

Smoked beers are fairly meh. Only one I've liked in the last few years was Attic and Eaves from slumbrew, because it's a fairly light smoke.