Implanon inhibiting weight loss?

Options
I previously reached my goal weight of approximately 54/55kg in 2012. I easily maintained that weight through diet control up until this year where I noticed it slowly creeping back on. I am now at 60-61kgs

I originally thought it was due to the fact I had stopped most exercising besides a daily walk as my diet remained relatively unchanged. So I joined a gym (October 2014) and now engage in moderate/intensive cardio activity for 45 minutes 4 days a week and weight training once a week. I still walk regularly every day. I've only missed 4-5 days of this regime.

However, 2 months in and my weight has had absolutely no change - I haven't gained, I haven't lost I have been completely stagnant. I consume about 1600 calories Monday-Friday, and about 2000 calories on the weekend.

I didn't take other measurements (as I had seen success in just measuring my kgs before) but fitting into clothes has remained relatively unchanged. I have been feeling a bit defeated as I am putting in a lot of effort and eating relatively healthy and not meeting one of my goals (Whilst my fitness goal has improved, its also motivating to see a physical change).

The only thing that is different this time around since my first weight loss venture is that I now have the implanon implant. This was implanted last year in August and also coincides with my slow weight gain.

Has anyone else had a similar experience of weight gain/loss with the implanon implant? I am really stumped on what else it could be - I could restrict more to 1200 calories but I become a pretty miserable person to be around :(

TL;DR - Noticed slight weight gain coinciding with implant implant, have no success after 2 months in losing weight (not even a half a kilo)

Replies

• marnieroberts15
    marnieroberts15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are eating at maintenence.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I consume about 1600 calories Monday-Friday, and about 2000 calories on the weekend.

the 'about' is your problem

you need to go back to weighing and logging
  • Rewinds
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I consume about 1600 calories Monday-Friday, and about 2000 calories on the weekend.

the 'about' is your problem

you need to go back to weighing and logging

When I refer to about, its an maximum. I'm logging on my fitbit rather than MFP now as I find it easier to track everything on one application. For example today I consumed 1549 calories but yesterday I only consumed 1452. 1600 is my limit.

I guess I just need to cut out something else and reduce to 1200
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You say your clothes are still fitting the same?

What have you been doing in the gym? Have you been doing a lot of weights? And how tall are you? 60kg at 5'8 for example would make your BMI perfectly healthy, probably at the lower end.

I've never had the implant, but I did notice when I started taking the pill again after my first child, my weight loss slowed down initially.
  • jurple132
    jurple132 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It could be due to muscle gain. I think it would be a good idea to start taking some other measurements rather than just weight. If you think it could be because of the implant it would be advisable to speak with your doctor.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor about contraception and weight gain at my 6 week check with my third baby, and she said that the injection is the only one proven to make you gain weight, but I'd imagine the implant is similar. I chose not to take hormonal birth control after my second and third baby because I don't want weight loss to be any harder than it is!

The hormones must affect you, just like they do in pregnancy. I gained weight in all my pregnancies and didn't overeat, and I exercised.
  • Bekk927
    Bekk927 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have an implanon and have lost weight while on it. 1200 calories seems a lot lower than what you have at the moment, why dont you try something in the middle if you know its going to make you miserable to be at 1200. If youre still worried though maybe talk to your doctor?
  • missbirrell
    Options
    I also have Implanon (well, I have Nexplanon, the UK's most modern one). I've had one for 4 years. I started losing weight in Oct 2013 and although it hasn't been super fast, the weight has been shifting relatively easily. I eat 1200-1500 calories a day. I have noticed though, that I now carry my weight lower - I can't shift my tummy weight and last time I lost a lot of weight (2006), I wasn't on hormonal bc and never had trouble shifting my tummy. I know bc is notorious for giving women fatter middles though, plus, aging adds to that too.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have the implanon right now and I haven't experienced any side effects regarding my weight. I maintained my weight for a couple months, put on a few holiday pounds and now I'm having no trouble taking them off. My biggest complaint with that blasted birth control is the acne I've developed. Nothing I have tried has really made a difference so I'm going to get it removed in two weeks. I love the convenience but it's not worth the acne.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Are you using a food scale?