Another fitness tracker band post..I'm so confused!

Options

Replies

• Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did some stair stepping and running on a treadmill with it. It works very well for me. I don't know the in's and out's of it yet, just messing around, but the heart rate was maybe 2 beats behind the impedence heart rate monitor of the stair stepper and treadmill at my gym. It does lag for when your effort and heart rate increases or drops, but in @ 20 seconds, it's back to matching up very well.

For calorie burn, once they adjust it all in, it'll work well no doubt. Right now, I am sure there is a number off somewhere in how they do the equation, but the hardware to see what your heart is doing 24/7 works fine, at least for me.

No, it won't be that useful for running on a track and quickly elevating your heart rate and dropping it back down, but it's not like you were going to do that with the Jawbone at all considering no display.

It calculated my distance ran, but was a little low, but not bad. I haven't adjusted anything yet other than it knowing how tall I am. I'm actually pretty impressed it was that close.

It kept on counting stairs throughout my workout even though I didn't change elevation through most of it.

I really like that I can manually start "workouts" and it stops counting steps and I guess uses math to determine how much calorie I burn durring that time based on my heart rate.

The Basis Peak supposedly does that automatically, but all I see is complaints about how it screws it all up and people wish they could just have a button that tells it when to start alternate calorie burn math and when to stop and go back to normal mode.

I am pretty happy with it so far.
  • mtgrzz
    mtgrzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Which one are you referring to? The Charge HR?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    mtgrzz wrote: »
    Which one are you referring to? The Charge HR?

Surge.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I just ordered my UP3.....cant wait to try it out.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited December 2014
    Options
    frojive wrote: »
    I have used several fitness trackers throughout the years including one of the first fitbits made. Here is what I can tell you. I have compared them side by side in many ways. At the end of the day I will hold out for the UP3. I have been waiting this long I might as well wait for what I believe will be the best product. I have not been a fan of previous ups because it was just an overgrown pedometer.

So in the past I was a bodybug all the way for the win! Just a year ago it was the best fitness device out there. Everything else were just step counters. What you need to know is that jawbone (makers of up) bought out BodyMedia (makers of bodybug) about a year ago. They have since taken that technology and placed it in the UP3 and improved upon it. The only other tracker that really comes close is the Basis Peak from what I can tell, and maybe the apple watch.

What is separating UP3 over all the other fitness trackers OPTICAL HART RATE SCANNER. This is an important fact because they have been proven in the past to be very unreliable. Why does this matter because they are using that information to help calculate your calorie burn. Cnet did a very good review on the effectiveness of these type of monitors. UP3 is the only one on the market that I know of that is not using it. Most likely the reason it can’t give you an active rate.

If you want an active rate you are better off with a chest strap, but that’s not practical to ware all day.

The other thing to note about UP3 and also Basis Peak is that they have auto detection. That means you don’t have to tell your tracker what you did. UP3 will eventually also learn your activities if it can’t figure it out at first. UP3 also promises to detect weightlifting.

All and all I have used and know that the bodybug tech was awesome compared to the rest. I did consider Basis Peak, but through many friends and other reports that there data was not reliable. That’s what I hear I have not tried it out myself.

If you do want a UP3 just spoke to them and it looks like it’s not shipping until 2015 they are hoping early January.

I feel the same way. I've been debating hard on canceling my pre-order and getting the Surge or Peak, but I can't quite bring myself to do it. And for similar reasons to yours. Having read the reviews and forums for Fitbit and Basis, the fact is that the optical light pulse tech for reading heart rate simply does not work well. I would rather have less, but accurate, info than more, but inaccurate, info. Why would I need to (badly) monitor my heart rate 24/7?

My Bodymedia band calculated calorie burns with impressive accuracy, without heart rate. While tracking food carefully, I could predict to the quarter pound exactly how much weight I would lose, and if it failed I could invariably point to either a saltier meal or extra-intense lifting session the day before which would generate water weight.

Having another band which does the same, and gives resting heart rate automatically each morning, plus heart rate on demand by pressing a button (according to the website), and also gives accurate calorie burns rather than burns distorted by wildly inaccurate heart rate data...I'll take that over the more immediate thrill of getting something now.

It's just hard to be patient.
  • frojive
    frojive Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I hear you I have been without my body bug for almost a year cause I broke. It's been tuff without it. Makes working out more interesting cause I can see immediate results as in numbers.

I just wish it would ship already or at least a hard date.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have used several fitness trackers throughout the years including one of the first fitbits made. Here is what I can tell you. I have compared them side by side in many ways. At the end of the day I will hold out for the UP3. I have been waiting this long I might as well wait for what I believe will be the best product. I have not been a fan of previous ups because it was just an overgrown pedometer.

So in the past I was a bodybug all the way for the win! Just a year ago it was the best fitness device out there. Everything else were just step counters. What you need to know is that jawbone (makers of up) bought out BodyMedia (makers of bodybug) about a year ago. They have since taken that technology and placed it in the UP3 and improved upon it. The only other tracker that really comes close is the Basis Peak from what I can tell, and maybe the apple watch.

What is separating UP3 over all the other fitness trackers OPTICAL HART RATE SCANNER. This is an important fact because they have been proven in the past to be very unreliable. Why does this matter because they are using that information to help calculate your calorie burn. Cnet did a very good review on the effectiveness of these type of monitors. UP3 is the only one on the market that I know of that is not using it. Most likely the reason it can’t give you an active rate.

If you want an active rate you are better off with a chest strap, but that’s not practical to ware all day.

The other thing to note about UP3 and also Basis Peak is that they have auto detection. That means you don’t have to tell your tracker what you did. UP3 will eventually also learn your activities if it can’t figure it out at first. UP3 also promises to detect weightlifting.

All and all I have used and know that the bodybug tech was awesome compared to the rest. I did consider Basis Peak, but through many friends and other reports that there data was not reliable. That’s what I hear I have not tried it out myself.

If you do want a UP3 just spoke to them and it looks like it’s not shipping until 2015 they are hoping early January.

I feel the same way. I've been debating hard on canceling my pre-order and getting the Surge or Peak, but I can't quite bring myself to do it. And for similar reasons to yours. Having read the reviews and forums for Fitbit and Basis, the fact is that the optical light pulse tech for reading heart rate simply does not work well. I would rather have less, but accurate, info than more, but inaccurate, info. Why would I need to (badly) monitor my heart rate 24/7?

My Bodymedia band calculated calorie burns with impressive accuracy, without heart rate. While tracking food carefully, I could predict to the quarter pound exactly how much weight I would lose, and if it failed I could invariably point to either a saltier meal or extra-intense lifting session the day before which would generate water weight.

Having another band which does the same, and gives resting heart rate automatically each morning, plus heart rate on demand by pressing a button (according to the website), and also gives accurate calorie burns rather than burns distorted by wildly inaccurate heart rate data...I'll take that over the more immediate thrill of getting something now.

My only problem with waiting for the Up3 is that, at shipping, the band doesn't use the heart rate information to do anything with calories burned because it ONLY tracks at waking, so past knowing what your heart rate is on waking (which is definitely important for training purposes), it is kind of pointless.

Now if they ever get around to actually IMPLEMENTING the 24/7 heart rate detecting, along with using that info to calculate calories, I'm definitely going to order. Beside the accuracy of the information, I like the way the band looks, and I really like that it is smaller. And I have to admit I like the different designs and colors. My boyfriend would kill me if I ordered enough to coordinate my clothing with, though. :)

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

My only problem with waiting for the Up3 is that, at shipping, the band doesn't use the heart rate information to do anything with calories burned because it ONLY tracks at waking, so past knowing what your heart rate is on waking (which is definitely important for training purposes), it is kind of pointless.

Now if they ever get around to actually IMPLEMENTING the 24/7 heart rate detecting, along with using that info to calculate calories, I'm definitely going to order. Beside the accuracy of the information, I like the way the band looks, and I really like that it is smaller. And I have to admit I like the different designs and colors. My boyfriend would kill me if I ordered enough to coordinate my clothing with, though. :)

I see what you're saying, but it also has the other sensors, such as galvanic skin response and skin temperature which alert it to the intensity of whatever you're doing. It alters the caloric burn accordingly. This is the tech that came from Bodymedia, which was THE most accurate first generation tracker. So, it should be AT LEAST as accurate as the Bodymedia bands, and that's a lot more accurate than the bands using optical pulse sensors for continuous heart rate reading, since they simply don't work accurately on a continuous basis.
  • Kasuad
    Options
    People are saying bio-impedence is more accurate and I am sure technically it is. In practical use, especially for 24/7 "big picture" viewing, I don't think it matters.

I don't own a chest strap, so can't compare to that, but when I do stairstepping, my hands are always on the bio-imedence handle bar/heart rate sensor of the stair stepper. I have my fitbit app on my phone right in front of me watching it the whole time. The optical HR on the watch is within 3 to 6 beats with the bio-impedence HR of the $3,000+ stair stepper machine.

One thing about me, I am lean. You can see veins on my wrist. Not bragging, still got a belly to lose :smile: . Not sure if that plays a part with some of the people who are having problems with it.

I really like looking at the app on my phone when I treadmill run or do the stairstepper. I've adjusted my stride for run and walk on my dashboard and now my Surge has me at a mile when the treadmill has me at a mile.

I'm looking forward to still being able to see the information on the watch display when I go do some running and hiking outside where I won't be looking at my phone much or at all. Not to mention playing with the GPS.

There are some things fitbit needs to change, but no doubt they can be easily changed. Hardware wise, I am really liking what I got.

Support wise, the Surge syncs with my computer automatically, as well as my phone (Galaxy S5). I have not had any problems, although I've only had it since Monday. It also works with my really really old android tablet running an ancient firmware that appearntly Basis Peak does not support and I guess neither would UP3 since they only have an app for apple. Not to mention it works fine with my new windows 8.1 tablet and I assume the windows phones.
  • Kasuad
    edited December 2014
    Options

I see what you're saying, but it also has the other sensors, such as galvanic skin response and skin temperature which alert it to the intensity of whatever you're doing. It alters the caloric burn accordingly. This is the tech that came from Bodymedia, which was THE most accurate first generation tracker. So, it should be AT LEAST as accurate as the Bodymedia bands, and that's a lot more accurate than the bands using optical pulse sensors for continuous heart rate reading, since they simply don't work accurately on a continuous basis.

What are you going to do different when your tracker says you burned 3000 calories for the day vrs a more accurate tracker that says you only burned 2900?

And you're still making an assumption which one is more accurate. Honestly, right now all I see from Jawbone is vaporware.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Kasuad wrote: »

What are you going to do different when your tracker says you burned 3000 calories for the day vrs a more accurate tracker that says you only burned 2900?

And you're still making an assumption which one is more accurate.

True, but from what I've seen of the issues that people are having with the optical pulse readers, the inaccuracies amount to waaaaay more than 100 calories. They are sometimes over 1000 calories.

The optical pulse readers must be worn tight enough that the band doesn't move during activity and blocks out ambient light. Even then if your veins aren't close to the surface, or if you have dark skin or a tattoo in that area, it may still not read correctly. I have small bony wrists. The Microsoft Band that I've tried on was way too big. I wouldn't be able to wear it tight enough with any comfort, as it would cut circulation and bruise my wrist bone.

Also, I'm not assuming that the optical pulse readers aren't accurate...I'm reading multiple reviews from very disappointed people regarding the inaccuracies. The Up3...it has Bodymedia tech, and I've seen for myself the accuracy of Bodymedia, so any assumption regarding the accuracy is at least based on experience.
  • bbastin55
    bbastin55 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I had my Fitbit One for two years before it quit working, and when it did, after a bit of trouble shooting, they just sent me a completely new one. Their customer service is outstanding. I just did the pre-order for the FitBit Charge HR, got it Monday, and I'm liking it so far.

Pre order? where?
  • Kasuad
    edited December 2014
    Options

True, but from what I've seen of the issues that people are having with the optical pulse readers, the inaccuracies amount to waaaaay more than 100 calories. They are sometimes over 1000 calories.

I agree, fitbit is way off right now. But it is more of a math problem and not a hardware problem. Like I reported already, from my 2 days of use anyway, the optical HR monitor is pretty much dead on with the bio-impedence HR monitor of the gym gear that cost several thousands of dollars. I am sure throughout the day, the HR is very much on par with any other such device except for when you try to do peak efforts where your heart rate quickly increases and decreases. Not that it matters for Jawbone since no display.

Just saying I think the information the Surge collects to determine calorie burn is accurate. The math fitbit is using with that information needs to be adjusted. I am sure that's a whole lot easier to do with a patch than it is to take hardware you designed to only get waking heart rate and change it to do 24/7 heart rate.

The optical pulse readers must be worn tight enough that the band doesn't move during activity and blocks out ambient light. Even then if your veins aren't close to the surface, or if you have dark skin or a tattoo in that area, it may still not read correctly. I have small bony wrists. The Microsoft Band that I've tried on was way too big. I wouldn't be able to wear it tight enough with any comfort, as it would cut circulation and bruise my wrist bone.

Also, I'm not assuming that the optical pulse readers aren't accurate...I'm reading multiple reviews from very disappointed people regarding the inaccuracies. The Up3...it has Bodymedia tech, and I've seen for myself the accuracy of Bodymedia, so any assumption regarding the accuracy is at least based on experience.

I dunno, I am happy with mine. I don't wear the watch tight. It did drop heart rate and not read at all once for @30 seconds, but hasn't since.

Seriosuly though, I really like the graphs it generates.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Kasuad wrote: »

I agree, fitbit is way off right now. But it is more of a math problem and not a hardware problem. Like I reported already, from my 2 days of use anyway, the optical HR monitor is pretty much dead on with the bio-impedence HR monitor of the gym gear that cost several thousands of dollars. I am sure throughout the day, the HR is very much on par with any other such device except for when you try to do peak efforts where your heart rate quickly increases and decreases. Not that it matters for Jawbone since no display.

Just saying I think the information the Surge collects to determine calorie burn is accurate. The math fitbit is using with that information needs to be adjusted. I am sure that's a whole lot easier to do with a patch than it is to take hardware you designed to only get waking heart rate and change it to do 24/7 heart rate.

I dunno, I am happy with mine. I don't wear the watch tight. It did drop heart rate and not read at all once for @30 seconds, but hasn't since.

Seriosuly though, I really like the graphs it generates.

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. The Surge is even larger than the Band, though, so I doubt I could wear it with any reasonable comfort, and that would increase the likelihood of inaccuracies.

Others have reported huge disparities in the heart rate reading, so apparently you lucked out with one of those that works, or else you are more anatomically suited to wearing it.
  • frojive
    Options
    How are people already getting the fitbit Charge HR? On fitbit site you can’t even order it yet just says notify me when available.

All in all no tracker will be 100% perfect. It is just not possible. What I learned with warring my bodybug is to stay in a 1200 -1300 calorie deficit and I easily dropped 2 pounds a week.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    How are people already getting the fitbit Charge HR? On fitbit site you can’t even order it yet just says notify me when available.

All in all no tracker will be 100% perfect. It is just not possible. What I learned with warring my bodybug is to stay in a 1200 -1300 calorie deficit and I easily dropped 2 pounds a week.

Fitbit had done a limited release earlier, but some stores have also gotten the products in and are selling them.

I can't remember all the stores but I'm sure that whichever ones did put them out are probably sold out or near sold out.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Fitbit collected email addresses from those who expressed early interest months ago, and sent those people an offer to pre-order an early release. The Charge HR and Surge both went out to those people, plus some Target stores got them in Monday...but as PikaKnight said, they're probably all gone by now. I think Amazon and BestBuy were allowing orders Monday, but they may have sold out of their limited stock already too.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have the Band and love it. For me, continuous HR monitoring was a must have since I wanted to be able to track my workouts at the gym. Further, the reason I'd never gotten a tracker before was that I would never wear a chest band, etc. while working out. I've found the HR monitor on the Band to be pretty accurate. I did compare it real-time when I first got it to the HR on the elliptical we own, and it was spot on for avg. HR and calories burned over the course of a 45 minute workout. At the gym, I have nothing to compare it to, but I know when in my workout my HR spikes (certain really heavy lifts and during jump rope super-setting) and the Band (though it takes a few seconds to adjust) consistently show the spike I expect to see.

Other pluses for me -

- Sleep monitoring with HR (I can see my true resting HR over the course of the whole night)
    - GPS run tracking (I don't run much, but it's a pretty cool feature)
    - Alerts for email, text, phone that sync with my Android phone (or whatever you have)

• frojive
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I keep seeing that the UP3 only takes a waking hart rate. Yes this is what they report but it does take into account the heart rate throughout the day as well it just does not show it to you (for now).

Here is a good link explaining the way UP3 Bioimpedance works and what it will also do in the future.
    https://jawbone.com/blog/up3-wearable-heart-rate-monitor/

If you are on the fence you cannot go wrong with anything the helps and motivates you to get moving! This is the key it’s as simple as that. Some people like Nike while others only rock reebok. I have used and loved my bodybug and I am sure they had the most advance and accurate tech. They have now put that into the UP3, and for me it is worth the wait. From the research I have looked at and the reviewes the old bodybug tech is still the best out there because of all the info it is using to calculate calorie burn. Hands down the tech in UP3 is pulling in more vital/fitness data then the Fitbit can and that is a hardware issue.

I’m not saying buy one or the other I just want to make sure people have the best info to help make an expensive decision.
  • Kasuad
    Options
    Try REI

http://www.rei.com/product/881900/fitbit-surge-gps-watch-heart-rate-monitor?s_kwcid=sKrICcxNg_dc|pcrid|58432296005|pkw|fitbit%20surge|pmt|e|google|main&gclid=Cj0KEQiA8MSkBRCP5LaRlcOAusMBEiQAiqldkvBUVidia1hYijhmbBRxp67V51zg892JDD_ZI1wyOmAaAn2W8P8HAQ

Before they were "pre-order" and when you checkout it was listed as backorder in the cart. Now it just seems like they have stock. Not exactly sure.

Yeah, just checked for the Charge HR and they still list those as backorder. So good chance you can get a Surge size large at REI