Ladies-ravenous on your period?

Options
The 3 days before I'm on my period, I can eat upwards of an extra 1000 calories a day. I eat nutritious foods & give in to cravings, but on those nights I just can't stop!

Any suggestions that have worked for you?

Replies

• Christine_1027
    Options
    i'm like this too, but i'm probably worse! I think that drinking lots of water with your meals may help :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Calcium (aka dairy) and water. Two things that have helped me.
  • HollyJans1
    HollyJans1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get like this. Supposedly our metabolism cranks up during this time which makes us more hungry! I always know when I'm starting though, because I feel like I am eating EVERYTHING in sight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone! Saturday was a struggle and Sunday I got too tired of it and ate 4000 calories (still somehow ate at maintenance for the week). And yesterday was fine and I managed to keep a pretty big deficit. Today so far seems ok, but AF hasn't shown her ugly butt yet...

Honestly... I think I'll stop fighting it from now on, and just eat. I haven't found anything that works - I tried complex carbs, fat, protein, soups, about anything you can think of... You can look at my diary for Sunday. Normally that breakfast would have kept me full for 3-4 hours... it kept me full for 1.5. And that huge 'lunch' I ended up having at 11... I was starving again at 1. 518g of soup is a LOT of soup. Plus pasta, chicken... NOPE. Ok I could have passed on the cookies, but on normal days it's not an issue to fit them in my day... I guess the only thing that worked is that total 1600 calories piggy out I had for dinner (fish and chips and cronuts).

So maybe next time on those days I'll try a huge 1000 calorie breakfast and hope it helps. Usually it lasts longer than 2 days though, so maybe making it a cheat day is what helped.
  • Paix_Amour
    Paix_Amour Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, always! This is such a real struggle. Usually I just let myself go. :(
  • mariabraceyrobinson
    Options
    I'm like this too. I just give in to the chocolate craving and make sure I workout harder on those days.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I used to, but then I started lifting heavy things. Now, I get really ravenous the day after a big lifting session! After dealing with that, my period is nothing.

Ultimately, you just have to drink a lot of water and eat satiating foods (heavy on the proteins and dietary fats). And, have that piece of chocolate - just not the whole bag!
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Always.. and not just for 3 days, the whole week before period. No wonder I do not lose that week and sometimes even gain.. its a constant struggle.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I've learned to just give in to the cravings. For me, that ravenous feeling lasts only one day if I give in and eat whatever. If I try to fight and struggle with it, it'll last several days. :flowerforyou:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I do notice more intense cravings... but the only tip I have is to make note of how you are feeling and notice that it's because of your cycle. After that, it's a matter of just saying "No". It takes will power, just like any day. You just have to try a little harder and think about it. Also... more sleep! And your body might be craving iron filled foods too so try to eat red meat and dark green veggies.

Just like all those posts asking if people exercise during their period - stop letting something so insignificant (and frequent) run your life. Get used to it, you've likely had it for many years and will be dealing with it for many more to come. Just think of it like having a runny nose for a week.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i have to push through and eat plenty of fruit for sugar cravings. i crave all sorts when pms
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain! I'm a ravenous beast no matter what I eat for 2-3 days a month.

Exercise truly does help, partly because it's a distraction, but partly because if I did eat a metric ton of chocolate at least I burnt some of it off (she hopes).

The other thing I hate at the time of the month, is how intolerable I find things that normally don't bother me. My other half eats all manner foods that I have very much cut down on, and ordinarily I don't care. He doesn't need to lose weight and he doesn't expect me to eat like him. But lord help him if he's eating chocolate in front of me at the time of the month and I've already had my food for the day (he eats supper and I don't). Drives me nuts!

I tend to just assume I'm going to eat 200-300 more calories than usual for 1 or 2 days, and that over the course of a month, that is nothing to fret over. It's better than inevitably going over and feeling rubbish about it.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I hear you loud and clear, i am the same. I just feed the craving and it seems to shut it up :)
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Yup Yup ... ahhh the lovely 'benefits' of womanhood no?

Try to have healthy go-to snacks so when the muchies DO come on you can at least have some control over the quality if not the quantity.

I also follow the 90/10 Rule (80/20 variation) so I don't have the additional stress of eating out of my norm to make my cravings worse. The LAST thing I'd do is to 'forbid' something because that's when I tend to binge.

Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I do notice more intense cravings... but the only tip I have is to make note of how you are feeling and notice that it's because of your cycle. After that, it's a matter of just saying "No". It takes will power, just like any day. You just have to try a little harder and think about it. Also... more sleep! And your body might be craving iron filled foods too so try to eat red meat and dark green veggies.

Just like all those posts asking if people exercise during their period - stop letting something so insignificant (and frequent) run your life. Get used to it, you've likely had it for many years and will be dealing with it for many more to come. Just think of it like having a runny nose for a week.

This.

Periods should not be an excuse to avoid exercise or gorge ourselves. They happen every month for many years - it's not like it's a surprise.
  • LoveLearnHappy
    LoveLearnHappy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Holy cannolis, yes! I can easily out-eat my 6'3" husband if I don't really lay down the willpower hammer on those days. Drinking lots and lots of water to the point where I am so full I can't even think about a cookie sometimes helps... plus it helps with bloating, too!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    My cravings are Bad during that time of the month. I'm been managing to keep myself in check, though. My issue is with sugar/carbs. I'm doing keto for medical reasons and the only time I want those things now is when I'm on my period. I usually eat some dark chocolate or make something like Whipping cream and sugar free pudding mix so I can have some kind of treat.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »

This.

Periods should not be an excuse to avoid exercise or gorge ourselves. They happen every month for many years - it's not like it's a surprise.

I agree with this. If I am unusually hungry (any time, not just TOM) I have a small additional snack, but not a sugary one. Something like a babybel or greek yogurt, which fills me up and won't feed any sugar craving, which I know is just that, a craving and a not a need. Similar with exercise. During TOM I may find my workouts harder to get through and might not manage as much as I usually do, but I still do them anyway.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I was like that until I started on birth control. Now my appetite is pretty consistent.
  • jodiemhorton
    jodiemhorton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    get cravings a few days before but I agree with JazzFischer. Birth control can calm it. go for a walk and eat some more...