Using a mantra to keep motivated

Options
2»

Replies

• kgangl1028
    Options
    beachgod, sounds like you have some pretty lofty objectives....Maybe you should allow yourself to be human!! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eat, train, eat, train, eat, train, eat, train....sleep
  • klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty simple but it has really helped me to take care of myself. "I deserve to be happy."
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh: mine is "Don't be an a-hole". Hey, it works...
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    kgangl1028 wrote: »
    beachgod, sounds like you have some pretty lofty objectives....Maybe you should allow yourself to be human!! :)

That was from a movie! I still like it, though, and use it as a mnatra. I wish I could do 50 pullups!

• teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Don't give up what you want most, for what you want now.
    I tell myself this when the biscuits are calling :)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    758_1__46787.1312921781.600.600.jpg

This.

Changing my mindset to thinking that I can actually do this has enabled me to be able to do this. When I kept thinking of myself as a failure, I was never able to stick with it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, when I am about to hit the finish line, typically coming in at the back of the pack, I accelerate shouting "This is my Everest, keep going, wohoo, you can do it!" Or something like that. My running buddies chuckle over it.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Mine is a little long and I just said this to someone to help motivate them after falling off the wagon.

"Ya know, for me, being overweight and unhealthy was like an abusive relationship. It takes several times leaving and going back and then one day you wake up or something happens and you KNOW you're done. That enough is enough. And you just buckle down and do the hardest thing in the world. You leave FOR GOOD. Your abuser has convinced you that you can't live without this or that, that you're not good enough. But it's not true. You ARE! Dare yourself to be worthy! Dare something worthy today, because you ARE worth it! Enough of the abuse. Love yourself."

I guess, moral is, 1) Stop the abuse. 2) Dare something worthy today.
    Also, another have for those that do workout videos: "Keep pushing play!"

I love it !! That's getting copied into a memo on my phone so I can see it when I start to weaken.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I like to use the same one I used when I was trying to pass the CPA exam.

"You did not fail. You simply did not pass. Failing means you've given up and giving up is NOT an option."

I even have "Giving up is not an option" on my RoadID wrist band and I look down every time I feel like throwing in the towel early.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    Thanks for continuing this thread!! I am also continuing to think about this whole concept of a mantra and keep thinking about the "give yourself oxygen first" life from when they share emergency procedures on airplanes. I think this is so true that you have to take care of yourself first in order to help anyone else in your life. Do it to inspire others!!
  • gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Kate Moss's Motto 'Nothing Tastes As Good As Skinny Feels'
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I always say to myself nothing tastes as good as I feel today. And I am not talking skinny...I'm talking mentally and physiclly strong and healthy.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My mantra is "when in doubt, go without"
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mine is, "I can do this."
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    mrslcoop wrote: »
    I like to use the same one I used when I was trying to pass the CPA exam.

"You did not fail. You simply did not pass. Failing means you've given up and giving up is NOT an option."

I even have "Giving up is not an option" on my RoadID wrist band and I look down every time I feel like throwing in the towel early.

I like this, thank you. "You did not fail. You simply did not pass." I am NOT giving up.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just wanted to share that I'm approaching my 50 th birthday next year and really want to get in good shape. That means I need to lose about 10-15 pounds prior to that (March of 2016 will be my 50th birthday month). I really want to lose the weight and stay healthy for life. In fact, my goal is to take a vacation to Hawaii to celebrate that monumental birthdate and feel comfortable enought to wear a 2 piece bathing suit. I heard another fitness guru suggest that a mantra can help keep you motivated.

Mine is:
    Do something today that your future self will thank you for.

I'd be interested to see if any others out there have a mantra or slogan that helps keep them focused. Please share.
    Nice!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    zyxst, this is hilarious!

+1 lol
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Fall down 7 times. Get up 8.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll only get what you've always got.

And this one is an original from me:
    The bad news is: You are the one who has to make it happen.
    The good news is: YOU are the one who has to make it happen. That's power. And no one can stop you but yourself.

I've lost 72lbs reminding myself of the above.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    Thanks for continuing this thread...I like the "If you always do what you've always done, you'll only get what you've always got."....Kind of like the Einstein quote, The definition of Insanity is continuing to do what you've always done expecting a different result....I'm really trying to approach this getting in shape journey as an education process to really approach this in a focused way....