Working out in group fitness room by yourself - okay?

Options
So I am giving something new a try. I go to my gym around 9:30pm when everyone has left and have about 30-45 minutes by myself to work out. I can't work out around other people - I freak out and leave early.

I was thinking of taking my IPAD and working out to workout videos in the group fitness room (kettlebell routines, cario routines, bodyweight routines, etc).

Is that weird? Do you think you would look in there and be like - what the heck is that dude doing all by himself jogging and dancing and whatever else to my little ipad?

Replies

• shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Who cares! I am very self conscious so I get that. But I don't think anyone will pay much mind to someone working out solo in the group room!
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've seen it many times. Not even an issue. Go. Do your thing!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm in my own little world and rarely notice anyone else, when I do its momentary and I move on

Go...do your thang and have fun
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've seen people do this at my gym. If there's nothing scheduled in the room, why not? There might be people who wonder what you're doing, though. If you don't mind getting a curious look or people asking you questions, just do it. Who knows, someone might want to join you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If I saw you, I would wonder why someone bothered going to the gym if all they were going to use was their own videos, but I guess if you want to use their kettlebells and stuff and they don't mind, whatever works!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I use the group fitness room for practicing my dancing. I just always hate when I am in the groove and someone comes in to workout as well :laugh:
  • miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    dtopo wrote: »
    So I am giving something new a try. I go to my gym around 9:30pm when everyone has left and have about 30-45 minutes by myself to work out. I can't work out around other people - I freak out and leave early.

I was thinking of taking my IPAD and working out to workout videos in the group fitness room (kettlebell routines, cario routines, bodyweight routines, etc).

Is that weird? Do you think you would look in there and be like - what the heck is that dude doing all by himself jogging and dancing and whatever else to my little ipad?

nope, i've seen people do this before in yoga rooms (or general group workout areas) and especially a lot in spinning rooms (for stationary bike classes). it isn't weird at all and i guarantee 99% of people who see you doing it won't even think twice about it.

• dtopo
    dtopo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yeah there are a couple reasons I want to use the gym:

1.) At my house it's all carpet and everytime I jump or lunge or something the carpet starts to pull up and bunch. It's a rental and very old carpet but I don't want to make it worse.

2.) Each video calls for something I don't have at home (resistance bands, jump boxes, jump ropes, barbells, kettlebells, TRX bands, medicine balls, etc). Plus it's a nice hard wood floor and doesn't bunch when I move.

3.) The group fitness room is all enclosed so once you close the door no one can come in. Might even be able to lock it - who knows. I don't like the mirrors everywhere but that will just make me face my fatness - maybe it will be motivating.

4.) Whenever I go to the gym I walk in with a little workout sheet. It's hard to follow and I am always reading and trying to figure out what weight they mean and reps and stuff. Plus if there are people around I just get freaked out and leave. I know - silly. But if I have someone saying no start you warmup do _______. Now do _______. Grab your dumbbell and do ________ ---- I might be able to follow along and stick with it.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. If it works for you and the gym doesn't mind, then go for it. As you gain strength and confidence, who knows, maybe you'll feel more comfortable out with other people? :)
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    First, I do this for my calisthenics work outs.

Second, I don't think it's silly, but it does sound like you might have some social anxiety? I'll just make a plug for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which is very helpful for anxiety.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Go for it!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Heh. You might make some friends who think it's fun and want to join you but I'm guessing that's what you don't want!!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Not weird at all! Every gym I've been to has either assumed people do that or explicitly invited us to use those rooms. I use the one at my current gym all the time for rehab and bodyweight strength exercises.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I sometimes sneak in and use the studio in one of the branches of the gym I belong to when there is no class on, no problem. Sometimes I'll be even be sharing it with another person, which I don't mind even though I have a big personal space "bubble"! I don't go in if one of the trainers is using it for a PT session as that might be seen as a bit rude.

The other branch that I use locks the door to their studio however when there is no class on! Not sure why, possibly some health and safety reason. ETA therefore probably not a great idea to lock the room if you do use it alone, it may be best to check with the gym management before going ahead.
  • dtopo
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't have social anxiety. I actually love going out and meeting new people. People always say "wow - you must know everyone in this town". I own a company that throws music events so I have to deal with hundreds of people, bands, bar staff, door staff, booking agents, etc - I love people.

Super happy person too - I walk around singing and skipping my way through life. Have a great wife (115 pounds and tiny) and two dogs. Great house, amazing family. I spend most of the day laughing and making other people laugh. I own my own business and it's wildly successful. I have the best set of friends in the world.

I just hate what I look like and what I have become. I am 315 pounds at age 33. I limp when I walk because I a so heavy. I have a belly that sticks out a mile in front. I have moobs. My legs rub together when I walk and I have to wear those workout shorts to keep from rubbing raw. I can hardly lift the minimum weight on any machine which makes me feel weak. I sweat profusely from just simple exercise (and people at gyms have made rude comments that they though were funny about it to me while I am working out which didn't help). I can't ride my bike more than a few blocks without having to walk it. I get to every piece of equipment and while I know exactly how to use them I have no idea what to do (I know - sounds weird). I have to walk - can't run - on treadmills. I feel like everyone in the gym is looking at me (even though I KNOW they are not) - mostly because I am looking at everyone else wishing I was them.

Worst of all -- I have probably read about 20 books on weight loss/exercise. I have visited nutritionists. I have taken college level classes on fitness and nutrition. I used to be an all star athlete and coach of a wrestling team. I have had sessions with four personal trainers (most of which I knew more about exercise and eating than they did). You would think I would be all set - I have more knowledge than most and know EXACTLY what it takes to reach my goals - I just can't seem to get myself to do it. After failing what must be 30 times now I can't even get myself to stick with anything or even get started. I just feel like a waste of space in terms of weight loss, eating, being fat, etc.

Which is weird because I feel such high self esteem in all other aspects of my life. I know - complain, complain, complain. Just telling my story I guess.

This is why I went and found a gym that stays open late (10pm) and is small enough that when I arrive at 9:30pm (if I could get myself to go that is) that no one is there - I have the whole place to myself minus the cleaning staff.
  • dtopo
    Options
    Still yet to try it - hopefully tonight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT!! Yeah!! :)

When I first started back up exercising I could do Zumba for ten minutes and that was it. Which was crazy because my performance was much better in the past and it's like, I SHOULD be able to do this! Then ten got to twenty, twenty to a half hour, then a full hour (with resting at the mid point!), a few more classes, and the rest is history.

Just be grateful you have your health and your body still works great. Your fitness and the weight loss will come, just hang in there! Ride the bike, walk the bike, enjoy the day outside - you're still lapping every single person with their butt permanently fused to the couch!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'd do it if it was the way to get my workout in. Who cares what other people think.
  • dtopo
    Options
    So you would just walk out of a ZUMBA class after 10 minutes? Is that okay - do people do that? Never been to a group fitness class.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dtopo wrote: »
    So you would just walk out of a ZUMBA class after 10 minutes? Is that okay - do people do that? Never been to a group fitness class.

Sure.
    Some people don't like the teacher or the class, have trouble keeping up, or just need to leave early to do something else. Not many people leave early, but it happens and is no big deal.