Looking for friends that can relate to the struggles of a 24 year old!

Options
phsst
phsst Posts: 28 Member
Hello all! My name is Christine and I am not new to MFP, but I would love some new friends to add to the support. I feel like some of mine have gone inactive over the year.

I am 24 and live in Texas. I'm hoping I can find others who relate to my struggle. I feel that with my current social life and work schedule, it can be difficult to stay on track to a healthier life. I have been gaining a pound or two each year since turning 21 (so I think alcohol has is a big factor). I don't have much weight to lose, but it's a constant struggle because I have to make some life changes including working out more, drinking less socially, and making healthier food choices.

Please feel free to add me and we can start to get to know one another!

Replies

• narissaa
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! I am not new but I have never really posted. I want the motivation to make a change. I do not have much weight to lose either and I am 20 from the UK - so I know what you mean with the alcohol!
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm 26 lol but I know those struggles. I've definitely started to drink less after 25 but I still feel you on gaining weight as you gain years lol. I hope we can be friends and motivate each other. =)
  • phsst
    Options
    narissaa wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel!! I am not new but I have never really posted. I want the motivation to make a change. I do not have much weight to lose either and I am 20 from the UK - so I know what you mean with the alcohol!

Drinking is such a big part of my social life.. both with friends and family! My new years resolution is to stop drinking during the week and only drink on very special occasions. It'll be a big challenge :(
  • daisy_janinex
    daisy_janinex Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yep I am the same. Drinking, staying up late, working lots, then being too tired to do anything etc. Need to change my lifestyle! Feel free to add :)
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was in the exact same situation! Except I started gaining weight as soon as I hit college. I've had success the last 6 months changing my diet and habits. I use to have a couple drinks every night until I started lifting 3 days a week and playing soccer another 3 days and now I just can't find the time. Feel free to add me.
  • oearl20
    oearl20 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am kind of new to this site. I am struggling with losing weight and I know most of it is cause of drinking and also because I suffer from PCOS. I have slowed down drinking a lot. Mostly just on the weekends. I have been where you are @phsst and I tried to quit and I will admit it can be hard cause of course if your a social drinker and your used to be social drinking you will feel it's no fun without drinking. What I have done to help me out with my drinking, is I drink my drinks straight (no juice or anything more calories). I don't drink beer unless it is lite but I try so hard to stay away from it cause it is worst then liquor. Also make sure the days you plan to drink work out extra hard that day so you are not adding to much calories. I love MFP also cause this site lets you track the calories of your drinks. I love ciroc peach and this helps me so much. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps a little bit. Sorry for my sentences being all over the place lol.
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Totally understand. I actually work for an alcohol company so it makes that part of losing weight very difficult. I just try to only let myself drink once a week cause otherwise I'm going to go overboard with it.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm 54 and still struggle with this!!!! Charity Dryathlon in January for Cancer Research for me and did Go Sober October as well. A challenge indeed but doable guys.
  • katieca123
    katieca123 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm 21 and in college, so drinking is a large part of my social life. It really sucks not being able to drink with my friends sometimes. I'm also broke so it's really hard to find cheap, healthy options
  • phsst
    Options
    katieca123 wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm 21 and in college, so drinking is a large part of my social life. It really sucks not being able to drink with my friends sometimes. I'm also broke so it's really hard to find cheap, healthy options

I definitely know what you mean about cheap AND healthy. It seems like everything is either or! My office has tons of free snacks laying around and I have to keep telling myself, "just because it's free... doesn't mean I HAVE to eat it".
  • phsst
    Options
    Jim_G10 wrote: »
    I'm 54 and still struggle with this!!!! Charity Dryathlon in January for Cancer Research for me and did Go Sober October as well. A challenge indeed but doable guys.

I've never heard of a dryathlon, but the concept sounds wonderful. I bet that is a great motivator! Maybe I can find a charity to contribute my efforts to. The accountability is what I am lacking.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Request sent!
  • NaeTeaspoon
    NaeTeaspoon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Christine - nice to meet you. The group Not That Heavy Girls might be good for you, I've found their resources etc to be really helpful.
    - Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/499-not-that-heavy-girls
  • Hey, I'm 24 also, I get where everyone is coming from. I use to drink a lot more alcohol before this past year, don't let yourself feel guilty over it! Sometimes when you over think it you wind up over indulging. Cutting out sweet mixers/juices will help..and usually brings down the price. Keep up eating (or trying to) healthy and squeeze in what work outs you can. Balance is the most important.

Have you heard of peak fitness? To sum it up, it only takes about twenty minutes and you can even use walking. For example-walk as fast as you can to get your heart rate up high(eventually pushing yourself to the point where you feel you won't be able to go any faster) -do this for only 30 seconds then go back to regular walking for 90 seconds. Do this 8 times in total. I haven't actually tried it but my friend does this several times a week and it's really helped. It's an interesting concept, and you can use pretty much any type of exercising. Look into it, I just thought of it because it isn't too time consuming.

What I've started to do is smoothie for breakfast, go for a walk. Eat more veggies while I'm not home. And right before I go to sleep I always try to get some yoga in. The hardest part is actually starting. Taking small baby steps/little goals everyday helps make it more manageable.
  • alcat124
    Options
    dealing with the same struggles! 26yrs old; needing to cut back on alcohol, make better food choices, and need to find that motivation to get to the gym!
  • phsst
    Options
    Hey, I'm 24 also, I get where everyone is coming from. I use to drink a lot more alcohol before this past year, don't let yourself feel guilty over it! Sometimes when you over think it you wind up over indulging. Cutting out sweet mixers/juices will help..and usually brings down the price. Keep up eating (or trying to) healthy and squeeze in what work outs you can. Balance is the most important.

Have you heard of peak fitness? To sum it up, it only takes about twenty minutes and you can even use walking. For example-walk as fast as you can to get your heart rate up high(eventually pushing yourself to the point where you feel you won't be able to go any faster) -do this for only 30 seconds then go back to regular walking for 90 seconds. Do this 8 times in total. I haven't actually tried it but my friend does this several times a week and it's really helped. It's an interesting concept, and you can use pretty much any type of exercising. Look into it, I just thought of it because it isn't too time consuming.

What I've started to do is smoothie for breakfast, go for a walk. Eat more veggies while I'm not home. And right before I go to sleep I always try to get some yoga in. The hardest part is actually starting. Taking small baby steps/little goals everyday helps make it more manageable.

These are some great suggestions! Thank you!
  • Pattot
    Pattot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well hello all. I have been using this site for over a year and never used the chat section nor posted anything, but it would be great for me to meet some people going through some of the same dieting crisis and successes. Being in contact with others that are dieting is more motivating and I wont be too tempted to snack because I can see others success.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    phsst wrote: »
    narissaa wrote: »

Drinking is such a big part of my social life.. both with friends and family! My new years resolution is to stop drinking during the week and only drink on very special occasions. It'll be a big challenge :(

I'll be honest, if drinking is a big part of your social life, this might be a tall and frustrating order. I generally don't drink during the week (no point, I'm at the gym instead of happy hour), but on the weekends I'll definitely have drinks with friends or wine during dinner with my husband. I've tried cutting it all out before, and it just made me sad. I *like* wine, and hearing my friend talk about this awesome Bordeaux he discovered bummed me out that I "couldn't" try it. Your life should definitely not revolve around alcohol, but if you are capable of having it in moderation, there's no problem with fitting it in your calories. Limit your number of drinks, and pass on the 600-calorie fishbowl margarita and opt for the vodka soda.
  • phsst
    Options
    Everyone has such great tips! Thank you!
  • phsst
    Options
    The more the merrier! Feel free to add me :)