How do I get ME out of the way????

Options
How do I get myself out of my own way?????? I can give weight loss advice til the cows come home. BUT cannot take my own advice!!!! I know what needs to be done to be a healthier me. I do my best to do it but when I step on the scale to "track progress" I get discouraged when the scale doesn't move or moves in the wrong direction. HELP!!!!! I have about 50# to eliminate. I have always struggled with my weight. In 2009 I had Intervertebral disc arthroplasty ( I now have an artificial metal disc at L5-S1) so I have been limited on what I was able to do for some time. Now I feel like a heffalump!!!!!!! I NEED and WANT to change me for ME. I want to be healthier and like what I look like when I look in the mirror. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You become your own best friend. No one knows better than you what your goals, strengths, weaknesses and triggers are. You treat yourself better than anyone else has every treated you. Like treat your heart and muscle cells better than anyone else ever has. Don't spoil yourself with sugar, whatever... And be gentle with yourself, one day at a time...You can be your own best friend!
  • chrissysue
    chrissysue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you ajfuelling for your words of wisdom.

I have to admit for being a motivational and suport forum....not much of that going on. 72 views and one comment. Well that I do believe beats the questions where people are arguing with each other because they do not agree with what each other posts...... SMH!
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    From recent personal experience, hire a personal trainer someone with a background in back injuries to help. The change in how I feel and move is amazing. I was having a very hard time working out (both phsically and mentally) because my back hurt and I didn't want it to get any worse. I know it is a lot of money but instead of feeling like an 80 yr old women I feel like me again
  • Shastabaldi
    Shastabaldi Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    hi chrissysue! i agree, there are some snarky folks on here it's a bummer. :( but listen, i agree with ajfuelling. you can do this because you know what to do! you know whats best all the time and need to get on your own bandwagon! you are beautiful and wonderful and need to remind yourself constantly why you deserve what you say you want. you deserve all the best!
  • girlygeek85
    Options
    I want to applaud you for being on here and sharing your struggle. That alone shows that you want are determined and takes guts. I know that everyone has a different journey, and what works for one person, may not be the answer for another. Personally, what helped me, was taking baby steps. I started with committing to honestly tracking my meals on MFP. That daily accountability for the food choices I was making really helped to open my eyes to what i was eating in a typical day. In addition, I started small with exercise. Making a goal of 2-3 workouts. IF that means going on a 10 min walk, than so be it. Don't try to start by running a marathon. It's those small, measurable short term goals which help you to begin to see a positive change. Even if the number on the scale doesn't move in the beginnings, you have to focus on how you feel. When you accomplish a couple weeks of 3 10 min workouts, increase it to 15. It's all about planning. Plan one thing you can do to improve your health next week. Plan it, post about it, and hold yourself accountable. Good luck.
  • forevermaryb
    forevermaryb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have had experience with posting seemingly invisible posts! It's rough.

Losing weight can be one of the hardest, yet one of the most rewarding experiences. I've been up and down with my weight my whole life. Pregnancies, illnesses, injuries, and emotional eating have all contributed. I knew what it took to lose weight; the dieting and exercise part. All I had to do was start, yet I came up with 100's of reasons why not. I was too busy to make those healthy meals, no time for exercise, my knee hurt, I was stressed, etc, etc. The excuses piled on. Two years ago in January, I decided to stop with the excuses. I had to learn to be both a task master with myself and to be much kinder to myself (I know, it seems like an oxymoron). I had to push myself to give up the high calorie, processed food that was too easy to grab and eat and eat primarily lean and green. Despite being in terrible shape (out of breath from one flight of stairs), I pushed myself to move. Start small, improve, and go for more. I also had to stop being so hard on myself and saying things to myself to sabotage my progress. If I "slipped", as in eating above my calories for the day, I learned to stop punishing myself by saying things to myself I would never say to anyone else (I would never dream of calling anyone a fat cow, so I could not say that to myself), or worse yet, let it derail me completely. It took me 15 months to lose 70 pounds and I've been maintaining since. It's one step at a time. Aim to eat within your allotted calories for a day, then keep increasing the number of days in a row you stay on your plan. Set a goal for walking (I'm assuming walking would be ok with your back). Nothing outrageous, just attainable, and do it. Then do it again. Once you get into a pattern and start seeing those results on the scale or tape measure, your progress will motivate you to keep going. All you have to do it start. No more excuses.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The great news is, you don't have to exercise to lose weight! Don't stress so much about the calories burned and focus more on the calorie intake. Get that under control, then after your body heals you can start slowly adding exercise back in! Weight loss is such a head game. That's why so many start and quit. Get your head right and you'll be golden :)

And I agree with a previous poster. Be your best friend! Not your own worst enemy! Only you can decide if you fail or succeed!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I was in your boat. Three children needing mommy and no time to follow my own advice. What I have realized is by making the time for me and following my own advice has made me a better mom and wife and given me more energy and patience. I was especially flattered when one of my son's friend's used me in a speech at school about motivation. He often saw me on the track at the high school walking laps and thought it really motivating to see a parent exercising during their practice instead of sitting in the car. Be that motivator for your children's healthy lifestyle.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I am super cheesy and have created a pintrest board where I pin little words of wisdom and I will look at them when I am feeling UGH! I also have them on little sticky notes around the house.

I have removed all of my triggers from our house so when I am feeling not that great I will have to go to the store and buy it. When I finally get around to getting out of the house that mood has passed.
  • chrissysue
    chrissysue Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement.
    I have made a decision to not so much focus on weight loss. But start to train for a 1/2 marathon. Not so much a baby step.... BUT the process of getting there will be. I think if I put more focus and energy into the training the weight loss will fall into place. Just have to keep reminding myself that I didnt get "this way" over night and I am not going to be where I want to be over night either.