I have just recently become Pescetarian. Any tips would be helpful.

Options
A few nights ago I decided to become pescetarian. I have been very excited about this decision and the challenges it will bring. There is already a drastic change in my energy levels and the amount of calories and fat I am consuming. I am already so happy with how this is working out, BUT it has only been a few days of this new lifestyle choice. Any words of wisdom and guidance would be very helpful. Thank you!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    There are a few others doing the same so they may be along in time since you have it in your header. I do all kinds of meat but do love fish. I eat out a lot. Have you found any places that you can get a fish meal that works for your diet at least so so?
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 19 and is considering becoming a pescetarian. Mercury is the only thing I worry about: Otherwise I see nothing wrong with it...as long as you are able to pass up that cheeseburger!!

Fish contain mercury, a by-product of industrial waste that can cause neurological problems. Avoid shark, swordfish, king mackerel and tilefish, which are high in mercury. Pregnant women and children should eat no more than 12 ounces of fish low in mercury per week. Canned light tuna, salmon, freshwater trout, tilapia, ocean perch, cod, catfish, halibut and snapper have relatively low concentrations of mercury.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Or, you could join the cool kids and become vegan >:)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    You misspelled lame. :p
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Dernacat I'm a pescetarian - feel free to send me an FR if you want to take a look at my diary. I don't know that I have any tips in particular but I do love my food!!
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    Farfromthetree, thank you for that! I don't think I'll ever get my hands on swordfish or shark, so I believe I will be good there. I eat tuna every day, though!

My only problem with all this is that when I told my mom, she completely disregarded me, and has continued to use meat in every dish she makes. She tells me to eat around it and pick out the meat. Tonight, I looked in the crockpot, and I saw she is making spaghetti squash spaghetti for dinner. WITH MEATBALLS. Why?! My brother hates spaghetti squash so he won't even eat! And I never ate the meatballs anyway! I don't understand why she is being like this. Should I just pick out the meatballs, then?
  • PescetarianPrincess
    Options
    There are a few others doing the same so they may be along in time since you have it in your header. I do all kinds of meat but do love fish. I eat out a lot. Have you found any places that you can get a fish meal that works for your diet at least so so?

Not really, yet. But there are a lot of good places that offer vegetarian dishes. I absolutely love Moe's, Chili's, and Qdoba. I know that Olive Garden has a salmon dish that I would love to try! And other restaurants too, I just need to go to them!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    DernaCat wrote: »
    Farfromthetree, thank you for that! I don't think I'll ever get my hands on swordfish or shark, so I believe I will be good there. I eat tuna every day, though!

My only problem with all this is that when I told my mom, she completely disregarded me, and has continued to use meat in every dish she makes. She tells me to eat around it and pick out the meat. Tonight, I looked in the crockpot, and I saw she is making spaghetti squash spaghetti for dinner. WITH MEATBALLS. Why?! My brother hates spaghetti squash so he won't even eat! And I never ate the meatballs anyway! I don't understand why she is being like this. Should I just pick out the meatballs, then?

Maybe start making your own meals? If mom isn't on board, and she insists on making meat, it's time to get in that kitchen! You can get decent frozen salmon in places like Costco for 6.99/lb. Or at least that's what it was when I last bought it. Frequent eating out is going to take a chunk out of your budget. Start prepping your own meals!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Not really, yet. But there are a lot of good places that offer vegetarian dishes. I absolutely love Moe's, Chili's, and Qdoba. I know that Olive Garden has a salmon dish that I would love to try! And other restaurants too, I just need to go to them!

That is good to know about Qdoba since we have one in town but I have not visited since going very low carb. Thanks

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Has your research shown that tuna is safe? I LOVE tuna with lettuce and some vinegar, but seems to me somewhere I read about it being unsafe to eat a lot of (I think for mercury too IIRC) but frankly I was too lazy to research it further and just chose to eat less tuna.

I am guessing if you eat it every day that you have researched it thoroughly, so I am curious about what you found out? Are the tuna scares just hype? Is there a kind that is better than other kinds? (like is canned chunk light ok for every day, or albacore better, or any other suggestions)

Sorry to hijack and ask questions instead of offering advice. I am not pescatarian, but I do eat a lot of cod and pollock based meals. They are delicious! It's great they can come out tasting like made from fresh when actually made from frozen. Also lemon lemon and more lemon (and capers) EXCELLENT to put on fish!

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    A few nights ago I decided to become pescetarian. I have been very excited about this decision and the challenges it will bring. There is already a drastic change in my energy levels and the amount of calories and fat I am consuming. I am already so happy with how this is working out, BUT it has only been a few days of this new lifestyle choice. Any words of wisdom and guidance would be very helpful. Thank you!

Do actual research to make sure you're still getting adequate micronutrients and the appropriate level of fat.
  • girlygeek85
    Options
    I have been a pescetarian for over 10 yrs now. As a child I was raised eating meat b/c my whole family did, but my mom said that even as a baby, I just didn't like it. And just like any lifestyle change, I think planning ahead is the key to success. There was a major learning curve for both myself, and my family. There were many times when my own family/friends would cook food without considering my choice. You have to advocate for your self, and understand that this is something that everyone has to adjust to. For me, what helped was being more involved in the meal planning. And asking ahead of time for ex. a small portion of the spaghetti squash to be set aside without meatballs. I personally wouldn't just pick out the meat. But your eating decisions are your personal choice. It's now been so long that eating this way is second nature. My daughter and fiance both eat meat.

You just have to educate those around you that this is a personal choice that you have made. And that you appreciate their support even though they may not agree. Food is such a funny topic. People tend to get super defensive when someone chooses to do or behave differently when it comes to food.

I try to avoid being judgmental b/c I believe everyone has the right to make their own choices. And although I choose not to consume red meat, pork, poultry, for my own personal health and belief reasons; this doesn't mean that I should hold everyone to that exact standard. I can educate when people ask me why I made my choice, but I try not to preach. Good luck on your pescetarian health journey:)
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Don't rely too much on fish like tuna for your protein due to the mercury content. Whiting is a cheap, low-mercury fish that is not endangered.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

You're 19, so make your own food. Other people don't have to cater to your new diet ya know.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    You misspelled lame. :p

LMAO!
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Even though I don't eat fish (I'm a vegetarian) I would recommend you only buy locally caught fish if you can (I don't know whether you live by the coast or not but just in case) and only line-caught fish. It's also a good idea to perhaps buy the fish that aren't usually in high demand because those tend to be cheaper. All these things are better for the planet, localised ecosystems and actually broadens your choice of fish to eat. As mentioned in a previous entry, certain species of fish have higher mercury counts so try and have lower-count species. And lots of oily fish!

In terms of preparing fish, marinating fish in flavours overnight (2 days is best) can produce amazing results- e.g. spices, limes/lemons, etc.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can't expect your mom to change or cook for you forever, and easy recipe is fish(tilapia, mahi, other filet choices) plus Italian dressing pop in oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes....so yummy and helps rid fishy taste even if you are landlocked and can't get fresh stuff. Good luck on your life choice, I personally like to cook almost everything wrapped in bacon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For "emergencies",

Sounds like it's time to make your own meals. As a grown woman you can't expect others (your mother) to bend to your wishes.
    And yes, pick out the meatballs if you choose to eat HER food and don't want to eat meat.

Best of luck. Most of my "meat" intake is fish, you just have to be diligent.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    depending on how much control you have over your food preparation, pescetarian is really easy. And tasty. High quality protein, low fat is available for you. Fish and seafood are my favourite choices anyway!

My wife is pescetarian, and even restricting ourselves to sustainable seafood (it doesn't mean fancy or expensive. Hello sardines!) it's super easy to come up with recipes for all sorts.

No time? Canned tuna or salmon sandwich.
    Barbecue? Trout, you can even papillote it. Or salted sardines
    Fancy occasion? Dungeness crab legs (I assume crustaceans are OK with you). Or harpoon-caught swordfish.
    Going out? Sushi!

Think about what water-surrounded countries eat. It's very non-restrictive.