Do I have too much belly fat to bulk? Pictures Attached

Options
13»

Replies

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Or... if you just want to be lean and fit, do something not involving weights or a machine at a gym - get active and take up a sport, team or individual - you're 19, you can do anything
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    caesar164 wrote: »
    Your training should consist of the fundamentals; barbell and dumbbell compound movements. Your goal should be to increase strength. Training should always be intense, and progressive in time. As you gain experience you could experiment with split routines,but always implement compound movements. As far as cardio is concerned, I know its good for heart health and all that, but I would eliminate it completely or do it sparingly, and not the same days as lifting days. The way your body responds to this training will be determined by your diet and also supplements may give you an edge. I would start by eating at 100-200 calories above maintenance. I know this is a iifym site which permits flexible dieting as long as it fits macros; but in your case, your diet should consist of red meat, chicken, fish, potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs oatmeal, rice, beans, vegetables, fruits, milk, etc; these foods will help keep you in a anabolic state.
    If by some miracle your body explodes in growth, arms get huge, delts grow like coconuts, chest like a barrel, legs like tree trunks; you will not be like "oh no I'm to big"... you will love it and become addicted to it!lol.. If you stay consistent the gains you make can become addicting!

Please to explain how these foods are more anabolic than any other foods (given the same macros).

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Your training should consist of the fundamentals; barbell and dumbbell compound movements. Your goal should be to increase strength. Training should always be intense, and progressive in time. As you gain experience you could experiment with split routines,but always implement compound movements. As far as cardio is concerned, I know its good for heart health and all that, but I would eliminate it completely or do it sparingly, and not the same days as lifting days. The way your body responds to this training will be determined by your diet and also supplements may give you an edge. I would start by eating at 100-200 calories above maintenance. I know this is a iifym site which permits flexible dieting as long as it fits macros; but in your case, your diet should consist of red meat, chicken, fish, potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs oatmeal, rice, beans, vegetables, fruits, milk, etc; these foods will help keep you in a anabolic state.
    If by some miracle your body explodes in growth, arms get huge, delts grow like coconuts, chest like a barrel, legs like tree trunks; you will not be like "oh no I'm to big"... you will love it and become addicted to it!lol.. If you stay consistent the gains you make can become addicting!

this is an IIFYM site, really? you should tell that to all the Paloe, Keto, Low Carb, clean eating, et al folks that are always on here...

for the record, I don't do IIFYM either...
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the others who are telling you to EAT and LIFT. Seriously....forget about your belly fat. If you continue to cut until you lose every last ounce of belly fat, you are going to be SKINNY. Plus, the more muscle you build, the easier it is to cut later.
  • TBill13
    TBill13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I recommend P90X with a high protein, low fat, low carb diet... will lean you out by working your core and will build muscle in your stomach, back, shoulders, and arms. After that you can build more muscle by lifting if you are looking for more. Takes 90 minutes of dedication for 90 days straight but does really work.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I think a year at maintenance while lifting heavy would do wonders. Then bulk.
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    , your diet should consist of red meat, chicken, fish, potatoes, sweet potatoes, eggs oatmeal, rice, beans, vegetables, fruits, milk, etc; these foods will help keep you in a anabolic state.
    Please provide research that supports your statement.

Although you could save yourself the time and just admit it's an illogical & incorrect one, as we all already know.
  • anask4
    anask4 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Appreciate all the advice guys, I will definitely turn my focus to making progress at the gym and eating at maintenance or maybe slightly over.
  • ellisboyd1
    ellisboyd1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I see what you mean; I'm in a similar situation. You're obviously not fat, but you've got a few more lbs to lose to get that six pack.

I'm going to carry on until I've got my six pack, as it was a box I wanted to tick when I started dieting. Then it's mission bulkup.

Part of it is about wanting to start with a blank canvas.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Time for bulking IMHO. Woo-Hoo! :)

I'm not sure if it's already been suggested buy you may also want to look at switching up your training. If you've been with SL for 6 months consistently, your body may respond to better to another protocol. I'd also recommend trying to get at least 1 more day in the weight room. You'll be better off with 3, 1-hour strength sessions than with 2, 2 hour strength-cardio combos for bulking.

Good luck!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Actually the OP isn't fat. It's just that he lacks the upper body muscularity that would make him "look" thinner. ie.. the upper to lower body V
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself what you want from working out. Is it too look better for yourself? Is it too feel better? Get Stronger? Look better for someone else? All those questions have a different answer.