Almost everyone quits losing weight

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose weight. The failure rate is in keeping it off. I don't remember the percentage, but the recidivism rate is high within a year of reaching a goal.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I quit losing weight when I just stopped losing anymore. I'm eating and exercising the same, and have bottomed out at 155 pounds or so, after losing around 260 pounds or so.

So even successful weight loss ends when the losing stops!

Frank
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just started for real and in all seriousness this last October 3rd. The last 20 years have been a slow and steady increase in mass and decrease in mobility. An injury from 2005 was my excuse for a really long time that I couldn't move well. So I would start and quit over and over, I was my own worst enemy. What changed? I simply made a decision to be serious and took advantage of a work sponsored program that preaches a high degree of accountability. The thought of continuing to grow fatter as I grow older was depressing. I could see my future in a scooter and I thought I don't have to live with that. So I changed it and committed to one new habit (logging on MFP) and used all the years of food fails, successes, nutrition pointers, calories in/out, but most of all common sense to keep me on track. Am I different? No, I'm just like everyone else who has struggled with a vice in their life and has committed to a serious change for the better. Why do others quit? That is something the individual must determine. Or as the philosopher Santayana, observed, "He who does not remember the past is condemned to repeat it." I also believe in moving on, so take your knowledge and make it powerful in your choices!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Ftw37 wrote: »
    I quit losing weight when I just stopped losing anymore. I'm eating and exercising the same, and have bottomed out at 155 pounds or so, after losing around 260 pounds or so.

So even successful weight loss ends when the losing stops!

Frank

WOW! That is amazing! Good for you.

I lost 30 lbs. 20 years ago and I'll never put it back on. That's NOT to put down anyone who has gained their weight back. I just wanted to point out that not everyone fails at this. If you truly adopt a healthy lifestyle and enjoy it, it's impossible to go back to those bad habits.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I think this time I will stay with it because I was 100% ready to make the change. I really think that is key. I made logging my food and exercise a habit that now I cannot change sort of like brushing my teeth.

^^^ This, i have "tried" to lose weight in the past and i was successful for a few months here and there then got frusterated and went back to my old habits, i have the right support system this time and i am 100% ready and in the right mind set :smile:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    I just started for real and in all seriousness this last October 3rd. The last 20 years have been a slow and steady increase in mass and decrease in mobility. An injury from 2005 was my excuse for a really long time that I couldn't move well. So I would start and quit over and over, I was my own worst enemy. What changed? I simply made a decision to be serious and took advantage of a work sponsored program that preaches a high degree of accountability. The thought of continuing to grow fatter as I grow older was depressing. I could see my future in a scooter and I thought I don't have to live with that. So I changed it and committed to one new habit (logging on MFP) and used all the years of food fails, successes, nutrition pointers, calories in/out, but most of all common sense to keep me on track. Am I different? No, I'm just like everyone else who has struggled with a vice in their life and has committed to a serious change for the better. Why do others quit? That is something the individual must determine. Or as the philosopher Santayana, observed, "He who does not remember the past is condemned to repeat it." I also believe in moving on, so take your knowledge and make it powerful in your choices!

Thanks. A great post.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing something that can be 'quit.' I made changes and I have no desire to ever go back to the way I lived before I made them. My weight is only a tiny facet, yes I will stop calorie restricting once I reach the proper weight range for my body, but the number on the scale or in my clothing is not my focus whatsoever. I'm in this for life, I want to stay active so I can enjoy everything that comes my way. I like who I have become, I like how I feel and how I feel about myself.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think me starting at 345lbs will be an advantage. I know what it is like to be morbidly obese, and while I still am, I dream of the day I am not afraid, and in fact proud, of taking my shirt off in public.
    I am almost at the 299 mark, weighed in this morning at 300.2. I know that as soon as the scale hits the 295 mark (to take into account the fluctuations) that I will never ever see a 3 as the leading number on a scale again. I know how much it sucks to be morbidly obese. Just being at 300 instead of 345 already my confidence level and self image is a lot higher than it was when I started, I can't image what it will be like once I get down to <230 mark.

And to quote one of my friends who used to be morbidly obese and is now a fit person who can run 10k easy, "I have been on both ends of the scale (literally). So I know what it is like to be obese, and I know what it is like to be fit. Being fit is so much better, Ill never go back to the way I was"
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I have quit many times, but 2014 has been the healthiest year of my adult life despite all the set backs. Even if I quit for 2 months, I'd end up going back. Did it end the way I wanted it to? No. But I thought around this time last year that "It'll be different this time." and it was. They say on average it takes a smoker 11 quit attempts before he/she is able to quit for good. I think for most people it's the same with getting healthy.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I think most people fail because they rely on motivation. Motivation is fleeing. In the end, those who make it, and keep it off, tend to be people that are disciplined. Discipline and habit tend to last a lifetime. Motivation comes and goes so quickly. No one is motivated to get up everyday at 4am and go to the gym, however, some people are disciplined enough to do it, even when it's the last thing in the world they want to do. It's really more of a habit and complete lifestyle change...and when I say lifestyle change, I mean a real one. Not just a change for a couple weeks. But, where you stick to it, basically, for the rest of your life.

I'm totally in agreement with this. I don't do what I do because I'm motivated. I do it because it's part of my routine and my every day life and because I know it is good for me. Like taking vitamins.

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    People fail because they see weight loss as a journey. It isn't, and it's actually pretty stupid to think of it as one, because it doesn't have an end destination. Sure, you may have a target weight to drop to, but then you have to maintain it, and that means not reverting to the habits that got you into this mess in the first place.

The people who succeed realise this. A little bit of thought is all it takes.

I've never had bad habits...unless maybe getting pregnant can be classed as one? :)

If people want to refer to it as a 'journey' does it matter? If it's something that takes a long time to reach, I'd have though good habits would be ingrained. It's more the quick fix diets that don't work and the whole 'diet' mindset.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For me, I found an exercise that I love (cycling) that allows me to eat all the foods and not worry to much. Hopefully I continue to love cycling. 15 months so far in maintenance/recomp mode.

Add 5 days a week in the gym and that makes this shiz easy!
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 3+ years. After a ton of trial & error, I know what works for me & what doesn't. What works:

Weigh myself once a week
    Estimate calories & stay under 2,000/day
    Workout 5-6 days a week (alternating days, weight training & cardio)

If my weight is up on Weigh In Wednesday, then I can usually pinpoint the reason why. Weekly weighing also helps to avoid the the "Holy **** how the hell did I gain 15 lbs!?!" scenario
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs all together in 3 years, but most of the weight within 1st year. It is scary at times but like someone above said 'one day at the time' some days I am going above, some days I go lower.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    If you don't quit losing at some point, won't you disappear?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm so scared I will lose motivation and quit or quit because I hate compliments from strangers.

Ok - what???

Anyways - I think a lot of people quit because they think it will be easy, they think they're going to wake up skinny one day and they don't realize it takes constant effort, day in and day out to get to your goals.

You aren't going to run a marathon after only 2 days of training (well, most people won't). You didn't gain the weight in a day, you won't lose it in a day either.

I am sticking with it because I want it. I have seen people finish 5Ks and lift their goal/PBs and I want that - I want it every. single. day. I think about it all the time and I want to see myself get there. You have to want it to stay with it. If you just want to be skinny, I don't think it's the same want as wanting to be fit or an athlete.

If you just want to lose weight to look skinny or be skinnier than others, I'm not saying it's the wrong reason, I'm just saying it's not the same mindset as those who do it with athletic or fitness goals in mind and then being thin just comes with the territory, usually.

It's different for everyone as to why they want to do it and why they stick to it, but for me I've stuck to it because, along with really truly wanting it, I am genetically predisposed to many weight-related health issues like diabetes and certain types of cancer, along with high blood pressure. I have a genetic abnormality where my blood will clot but it doesn't break down its own clots like other people's blood does. I have been on blood thinners since I was really young, but if I can get my weight under control, my medication dose won't be as heavy meaning my liver and kidneys don't have to process that much medication through my system. I will always be on blood thinners but with a healthier weight, the dose and frequency of testing can be changed which makes my life easier to manage, too.

Everyone has their reasons, but as long as you have your reasons (and not just to have a "thigh gap" - because well, that's genetics) I think you'll stay the course, you just have to want it bad enough to say no to all the other alternatives and distractions along the way :)
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Actually, for most people losing weight isn't the issue...maintaining the weight loss is. By and large, people talk a good talk about "lifestyle" change...but really, it's just words...most people never implement such a change.

I lost about 40 Lbs and I've maintained that loss for over 1.5 years and counting. I am very committed to nutrition and to my fitness. I'm a former athlete and once I got back into things I realized how much I missed it and how much I missed being fit and healthy. Also for me it was not so much about losing Lbs as it was reversing a bunch of bad blood work.

There's a high to losing. I felt no high trying to maintain. I'm back up about 20lbs and having a heck of a time losing.

I personally had no maintenance strategy and it shows.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Actually, for most people losing weight isn't the issue...maintaining the weight loss is. By and large, people talk a good talk about "lifestyle" change...but really, it's just words...most people never implement such a change.

I lost about 40 Lbs and I've maintained that loss for over 1.5 years and counting. I am very committed to nutrition and to my fitness. I'm a former athlete and once I got back into things I realized how much I missed it and how much I missed being fit and healthy. Also for me it was not so much about losing Lbs as it was reversing a bunch of bad blood work.

There's a high to losing. I felt no high trying to maintain.

This is why I think it is important to keep setting goals for yourself even once in maintenance (faster 5k, bigger biceps, smaller waist, etc). That's what I did and it has seemed to work.

• smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I had almost forgot about the constant compliments and reminders of how well I was doing losing weight. That also goes away during maintenance, except for a few random comments from folks who don't see you often.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose weight. The failure rate is in keeping it off. I don't remember the percentage, but the recidivism rate is high within a year of reaching a goal.

And even higher at 5 years. Maintaining a loss for a year or two is pretty easy. I've done that many times.