Set Meal Times vs. smaller, more frequent "snacking"?

Options
I'm going to experiment with meal times after the holidays. I try something new every few weeks to see how I do on it, keep what I like, ditch what I don't.

Eating every time I am hungry doesn't seem to benefit me. I think that eating frequently just means I either eat more calories in a day OR it means that I am never really satisfied. When it's happened that I've been hungry for a little while before the next meal and then had a really satisfying, tasty meal, I enjoyed my food more than I did when I spread my calories out by snacking.

If I do get really hungry, I'll eat low-calorie vegetables, something under 100 calories, just a little something to tide me over. What I do now is eat a minimum of 250-400 calories whenever I get really hungry, usually 4 times a day or more.

What is y'all's experience?

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I love eating snacks often during the day and then a HUGE dinner at night. This is really working for me! On Sundays, I weigh out my snacks for the week and stick to those dying my work day. It's usually about 500 calories or so and then if someone brings "treats" I have room for that. Then I get home and go all out for dinner and still meet my calorie goals. It works for me since I'm not very hungry during the day and usually stay pretty busy.

I tried the eating small meals frequently thing but I wasn't measuring my food so there was way too much room for error.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I don't have set meal times. During the work week it's generally the same time every day (lunch around 1:30 - 3:00, dinner around 8:30 - 9:30). On the weekends there is no schedule. It just depends on what we're doing.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Small, frequent meals leaves me less satisfied and more prone to overeat than three meals a day. So, yeah, full meals works best for me.

I also think the plainest dinner can taste AMAZING when you are actually hungry rather than just eating because it's meal time, so that's a positive for me as well.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do the best with 3 meals a day and a snack in the evening.

I usually have about 800 calories between breakfast and lunch (switches off which one is the heavier meal), 600 calories for dinner, then 200 for an evening snack (1600 calories total). This isn't something I necessarily planned (with the exception of mindfully saving calories for a snack), its just a pattern that came out over time.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I typically eat smaller meals and snacks throughout the day on weekdays with larger dinners. Weekends it's usually larger meals and less snacking. I just kind of play with what works for me.

I did find that eating couple hundred grams of baby carrots just made me hungrier even though it was relatively low calorie. I now go for higher calorie and more filling; usually higher in protein. I like cottage cheese or greek yogurt. Sometimes peanut butter (less protein, but fat is also filling).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well with 3 meals and 1-2 small snacks a day usually.
    I think eating more frequently would be harder for me to keep track of and wouldn't suit my lifestyle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I do best with scheduled meals and snacks dispersed throughout the day. I plan the night before what I'll be having the following day and I schedule it out throughout the day...no surprises and I basically get to eat every few hours or so...which I like to do. If it's not on the schedule and the food item has not been planned, it does not go into my mouth.

Basically I do this Monday - Friday and am more relaxed on the weekends. It just keeps me on track and helps me to avoid "junk" that I would probably otherwise eat if I didn't plan on my greek yogurt and mixed berries @ 3;30 PM as an example.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I eat 7 times a day Monday-Friday. Preworkout Quest bar, post-workout protein shake, breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, dessert. I'm almost never hungry.

Weekends are different. I eat more calories on weekends, but fewer meals. As is my intention.

I don't do either of these things for weight loss purposes. The number of calories I eat takes care of that. Meal timing doesn't matter. This is just how I eat.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I mix it up.

Workout days I split my calories into 3 smaller meals and then have 3 small snacks between meals. I then eat my workout calories back as a "special snack" in the evening - really, just in case I have to miss my workout for some reason at the last minute, and always after I've satisfied my macros/fiber etc.

Non-workout days I generally stick with 3 meals and maybe something in the evening if I have calories left over.

The changing schedule makes it more interesting and matches what I'm doing with what I'm eating.
  • Turning_Hopes_to_Habits
    Options
    I eat 7 times a day Monday-Friday. Preworkout Quest bar, post-workout protein shake, breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, dessert. I'm almost never hungry.

Weekends are different. I eat more calories on weekends, but fewer meals. As is my intention.

I don't do either of these things for weight loss purposes. The number of calories I eat takes care of that. Meal timing doesn't matter. This is just how I eat.

Do you mind sharing how those calories shake out? I'm not sure I'd ever be hungry if I ate that much, either! I imagine you're a lot more active than me, otherwise you like smaller meals.

I also am wondering if I might like being hungry for a little while before a meal. Like NoelFigart1 said, food does taste a lot better to me when I'm hungry first.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    IMO I think it's better for your body not to be constantly digesting food all day and night. So, for me large breaks between meals suits me
  • lorbie49
    lorbie49 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine is all over the place. I work 12 hour night shifts Friday-Sunday and go to school during the day on weekdays. My schedule is constantly flipping around so I eat at all times of the day. I find that smaller meals spread around whenever works for me. I just stay within my calories for that 24 hour period of time.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've been eating like this for quite some time and do just fine:

7am - breakfast, around 350 calories
    10:30am - snack, around 100 calories
    12:30pm - lunch, around 300ish calories
    3:30pm - snack, around 150 calories
    6pm - dinner, around 600 calories
    8pm - optional snack around 100 calories

*if I hit the gym in the evening I'll sometimes flip dinner and the late snack. If I workout in the morning my breakfast is usually bigger.

I remain flexible, but I think consistency is key for long term success at anything.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    IMO I think it's better for your body not to be constantly digesting food all day and night. So, for me large breaks between meals suits me
    Larger meals simply mean longer digestion periods. So whether you eat several small meals, or a couple big ones, it still takes roughly the same time to digest all the food.

There really is no metabolic advantage to any kind of meal timing so it's one of those things you should base completely on how well you do with it. Many people do well with small frequent meals, others like 1-2 big meals (myself included), and eating 3 squares and a snack works great for people as too. I'd just experiment with all the options until you find out which allows you to meet your nutritional goals the easiest.

• CatLady1309
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast about 8,have my main dinner about 1:30,something else about 6ish :) works for me.Might have a few snacks if I've got left over calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think experimenting to see what works for you is a great idea.

I like eating 3 significant meals, with sometimes an afternoon snack if I work out such that I'm hungry for it or plan to eat really late, or both. (I tend to eat an early breakfast, a noon-time lunch, and a quite late dinner.) I don't care for snacking in general, and for me eating throughout the day based on hunger wouldn't work for lots of reasons--I wouldn't be hungry, I would find it burdensome to have appropriate food available, I prefer meals to snacks and would be forced to eat lots of pre-prepared foods I don't care for/don't really need, and I'd probably constantly be thinking of reasons to eat something and end up over-consuming calories. And then I'd be bummed to not be able to have a real dinner.

None of this applies to people in general; just me and my habits.
    I enjoyed my food more than I did when I spread my calories out by snacking.

This is true for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on the day and my hunger.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I like having smaller meals and snacks because I had a problem with waiting too long between meals and getting grumpy or impatient before.

When I was calorie restricting I would usually have three 300-400 calories meals and 2-3 200 calories snacks a day. Just depended on what I planned for the day and how hungry I was by evening.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Personally, I prefer 3 meals of approx 500cals each. I leave a minimum of 4 hours between each meal.

I have a problem with snacks in that once I start I find it difficult to stop grazing. They don't actually satisfy me, plus I'm left with less calories for my main meals which then also feel unsatisfying and I end up overeating.

5'3" female, currently 144lbs.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find that eating very little during the day and then eating dinner and a snack works. But I'm glad you're open to experimenting, because I sometimes have to change up my meals depending on what that day brings.