PCOS

Options
mmmrisssa
mmmrisssa Posts: 13 Member
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS (while trying to figure out why I can't get pregnant) and now at least I know why I have always had a hard time losing weight, but its way to easy to put on.

I'm trying to lose at least 40 pounds (40-68) to help boost my fertility. I'm currently on Metformin and a low carb diet but i still feel like its far harder than it should be.

Just wanted to know if there were any other PCOS ladies out there, i'd love the support and motivation. Feel free to add me!

Replies

• Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i have it too, it sucks!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    It is harder than it should be. Also have your thyroid checked as it Hypothyroidism is often found in PCOSers.

It's going to be slow, for every 2lbs you lost someone else is losinh 6.. but you have to keep focusing on your goal. You can do it!! It will just be hard.
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I was diagnosed on Friday of last week so I am pretty recent too. I was wondering why I wasnt loosing weight too well either then started having cycle issues. We are going to beat this thing. Feel free to add me.
  • sunqween21
    sunqween21 Posts: 19
    Options
    This is soo crazy because I was just going to see if there were any blogs or posts regarding PCOS. I was diagnosed in 2007 when after two years my hubby and I couldn't get pregnant. My highest weight was 213. I have managed to get down to 193 and my eventual goal is 130-135. I need to step up my eating and really make it top notch but its tough feeling defeated all the time.

I was put on thyroid meds (very underactive) in 2009 and earlier this year, learned that us PCOSers can also have a gluten intolerance (not celiac but very sensitive to gluten) so I'm learning to cut that out of my diet.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, there are a lot of us out here. I can tell you my struggles have been so frustrating, but I've found a lot of support on MFP, which is really awesome. Best of luck to you!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have it too. When I set my carb % to 30 I have been able to drop some lbs. And I workout 6-7 days/week.
  • mmmrisssa
    mmmrisssa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wow, that was fast! Its' great to know I'm not so alone!

If anyone has tips, please let me know!
    I am desperate to lose this weight, I REALLY feel like its what we need to help us conceive. So I'll really try just about anything(natural) at this point.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I actually just posted a topic on this the other day. I was diagnosed when I was a teenager and it is very difficult to keep losing weight. I feel your pain!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed PCOS about 15 years ago. Always had trouble losing weight, gain back WAY to easy, never had regular cycles unless I was on birth control pills, etc. Then about 12 years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. So now in addition to the trouble losing weight, gaining easily I get to feel tired and worn down (unless I take meds, then I feel fine). I would suggest any body that has PCOS also have your thyroid tested, especially if you feel tired all the time no matter how much sleep or rest you get or if you feel like you just have to force yourself to get up in the morning. Don't kid yourself though into thinking that the meds will help you lose the weight, they wont. They will help you not feel so tired and run down and they will help you not be so emotional because you are tired all the time but they will not help with the weight. That is just something you must do with diet and exercise. I can say that for the last year I have not really been dieting (until the last 5 weeks) but I have been trying to eat healthier and my cycles are now regular for literally the first time in my life. Not sure if that is due to the healthy eating or if my body is gearing up for menopause...LOL. Another thing to look forward too...not!!

If you have PCOS or thyroid issues and you want support, advice, etc. feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck to you all.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I used to take Metformin. I had tried to get pregnant for 6 1/2 years. In that period of time I have done IVF Invetro-fertilization. On my second attempt (which there were 5 years in between attempts) I conceived my son on the first try. I stopped taking Metformin after about a year when I had lost some weight and started to exercise. I hated the way it made me sick. I found that working out 3-5 times a week kept my insulin resistance in check. I went through my whole pregnancy without having any insulin problems. I workout 3-5 times a week to Jillian Michaels DVDs. She is my inspiration. I tried to get in the best shape possible hoping that if I was healthy that I would get pregnant. I even tried Clomid but to no avail.
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i was dx with pcos a couple of years ago , my cycles ahve never been regualr, i have all the classic symptoms inclusing the extra har ( gee thanks for that pcos ) , my highest weight was 238 and that was summer last year , i am now around the 202 mark and all though its been a struggle am trying to get down to 130 ish , so that when i next go to see my doc about having children , they can no longer say come back when you have lost some weight :)

good luck
  • Marcy87
    Marcy87 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I can totally relate because I have it and it was very hard to cope with when I was diagnosed with it. I was given birth control as a form of treatment for it, but every birth control they would switch me to, yielded horrible results, and in the end I ended up shooting from 155(which was a weight i more or less always maintained) to a whopping 215LBS! My doctor immediately put me on metformin twice a day, and on my own I worked out 4 times a day and did an insulin resistant diet. Over the course of 13 months I went from 215-138 and have been able to maintain my weight plus or minus 1 or 2 lbs and am off the metformin completely. I cried and kicked and screamed during the process because it is alot tougher for us to lose even a gram, but if you put your mind to it, anything is possible. Don't give up and don't be discouraged!!!
  • LG30
    LG30 Posts: 72
    Options
    I can relate, and have found it hard to lose the wieght over the years but found the inner strength and determination to lose the weight and thus far have been successful. With this site you will find the support, and encouragement to help you with your goal. So good luck and best of luck to you! :) PS I was told years ago that I could not have kids due to the fact of my PCOS and being overweight, but today I am a proud mom of two boys 3, and soon to be 1! :happy:
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Girl, If ya stick with a great diet, you CAN do it. It is frustrating, but worth it.

When I was in my teens I gained a LOT of weight, my hair on to of my head thinned...which was strange bc I have pretty thick hair. I had extremely hair arms and legs..I was made fun of a lot in Jr High. I shave almost everything on my body these days. I remember I used to even have hair on my abdomen and on my back (right above my butt)..I felt like a man, I also had a lot of acne on my face and my upper arms and back. I had dark patches on my thighs and my neck and skin tags on my neck and shoulders (I got most of them removed). I havent had much facial hair...I kind have side burns a little, but I don't think it's too noticeable. I have a deeper voice then most women (that don't smoke), and I never had a period without being on birth control (which I was put on when I was diagnosed at 16.....so I had most if not all the symptoms...

I lost weight and life is so much better...haven't tried to have kids yet...that may be another battle. When it is time for that, I will deal with it. But just letting you know where is a lot of us outthere and that you can do ANYTHING you set your mind to!
  • Diet_Hell
    Diet_Hell Posts: 34
    Options
    I've got it too!
  • WendiPC
    WendiPC Posts: 5
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have PCOS and took metformin to regulate my cycles. It worked. I have a 9 year old and a 4 year old. It's sooooo hard to lose weight. And yet if I look at food or even walk near it I gain weight. Best of luck with your goals. Just keep your eye on the prize.