• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Cabbage pizza sounds fantastic
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I steam it with salt, pepper and a little butter, and eat it with the biggest utensil I can find. I love it.

You could also learn to make Gołąbki (pronounced "gawumpki"), which are Polish cabbage rolls, and are AMAZING. Here ya go: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/polish-golobki-gawumpki/
  • rteemfp
    Options
    I cut it up finely with some onion and make a japanese pancake. Nomnom.
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Stirfriy it with some lean sausage and onions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Something like this keeps haunting my Facebook feed:
    IMG_2070.JPG

http://tastytravels-holly.blogspot.ca/2012/09/grilled-cabbage.html
  • wgaue
    wgaue Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    jgnatca, I've made this, and it's really good.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    roasted with a little olive oil and garlic is great
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Saute it, add some to your salads, ferment it...

I do all of the above...sauteing it with some apples and onions is my favorite though.

I've never had it with apples. I have to try that soon. What type of apples? Tart or whatever you have?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Roast it, then eat it on the burger.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I like it chopped up, raw, with apples and celery and dried fruits - raisins or cranberries, or even cherries - dressed with Miracle Whip. My mom liked to add shredded coconut and walnuts. I don't even like coconut, but it wasn't bad in this (but I would pick out the walnuts).
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Throw it out and eat a burger.

No! Make Cole slaw and put it on a pulled pork sandwich! Good gawd!
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    A couple people mentioned apples....

I forgot i like to shred cabbage and slow cook it with applesauce or apple juice. I don't make homemade sauerkraut but this is close. Diced apples go in my sauerkraut every time i buy the kind in a bag. No one has ever noticed the pieces of apples but they always ask why it tastes so different from theirs.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking it tonight. Sauteed with bacon, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. I love cabbage this way.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Cabbage Jutt. It's a mix of potatoes, cabbage, and some bacon fat. Calories work out to 137 per cup. When I made it a few days ago I used 50oz of cubed potatoes, 37 oz green cabbage, chopped. 2 Tablespoons of bacon fat. 2 tsp garlic powder and at least a tablespoon of salt.. might have been more. So you start by boiling your cabbage for probably 10 minutes then add the potatoes. Boil until the potato cubes start mashing easily. Drain liquid into a bowl so you add back just what you need. I use a stick blender to puree it but my mom only ever used a wire potato masher. Like mashed potatoes when you're done but lower calories (mashed potatoes around 210 calories per cup.. so a savings of 73 calories a cup or about 33%). Then add your other stuff and finish to taste.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    its amazing sliced thin and roasted with some oil and salt. sounds weird but it's amazing. I let it get a little burnt.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Chop it up, and smother it down with some bacon.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My family LOVES cabbage "steaks": slices of the whole head drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder then roasted for about 30-40 minutes at 350.

We also like to boil it with peeled and quartered potatoes, then tossing it with hard boiled eggs, slices of raw onion and the olive oil/salt/pepper/garlic powder combo. This is a popular "salad" in Cuba. :)
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I usually will do some kind of a stir fry or un-stuffed cabbage rolls, once in a while I'll roast it, but usually not. Delicious!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Green cabbage is amazing in stir-fries and teryaki dishes. I also make a low-cal southwest coleslaw by shredding it, adding a little olive oil, mayo, cumin, lime juice and cayenne (look up Bobby Flay's recipe, although I hate that smug little *kitten*). I also make tortilla-less fish tacos by making a bed of cabbage mixed with a yogurt / diced chipotle dressing, corn, black beans, chiles and avocado. Just put the cooked fish on top and eat that sucker up.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    Make an Asian coleslaw with a dressing made of ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and spicy red chili flakes.
    I vote for this. Add some orange slices too!