Diary Review (anyone able to help?)

Options
Not sure if this is the right message board for this post, but here's hoping..

Hi All,

I have spent the past few weeks tracking and learning a few aspects about my eating habits, what I eat and when I eat and why I eat certain things. There are obviously a few blatant foods that I need to cut down on - but I also want to work out a way to include some of them.

I am hoping that someone or some people may be willing to spare a few moments and have a quick glance through my food diary (the tracking dates are: 8th April 2011 - 25th April 2011) and offer any suggestions.

My goal is to lose around 3stone. There is no end date, but I'd like it to be gradual and permanent (naturally) - none of those quick fixes. The main advice I am hoping for is what changes would be recommended? Is my current daily calorie requirement of 2160 too high or enough (this is based on sedentary at the moment, but exercise will kick in very soon)..

The exercise component is currently being devised, the main aspect I have issues with is the food and nutrition aspect.. This has previously been an issue so any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated any tips n tricks would be great as well. One of my biggest issues is time to prepare foods and limited space (shared house - small fridge)

My diary should now be set to public view: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/mpev

Thank you in advance if you can offer any guidance..

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Right off the bat I would suggest going in an editing your macro goals a little under the goals tab.
    I'd bump 5 percent off carbs and 5 percent off fat and give that to protein.
    Protein seems a little low, and when that happens, along with weight loss, you're more likely to burn muscle and fat.

Add a good weight training routine and you should be able to keep your muscle mass, so once the fat is gone, you're left with a more athletic build than if you had just dieted.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    sorry, you have to open up your profile for those of us not your friends to see your food diary...
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    you don't have anything in your diary to review, or am I crazy?

I would recommend upping your protein and fiber while cutting your carbs. Try to eat as naturally as you can (stay away from processed foods).
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of carbohydrates and a lot of sugar, not enough protein and barely any fruit and vegetables. I would try to add more veggies and fruit and less white flour foods. Good luck, it's a struggle, I know.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I notice quite a lot of sugar and I don't think I saw any fruit or veggies.
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    Im sorry but I think your eating habits are pretty awful! There is no fruit and veg listed. You are eating lots of processed food and lots of chocolate!

You need to have proper breakfast - not cereal - have bacon and eggs or scrambled egg, or poached egg

Think - if its natural or homegrown eat lots of it - if its processed - avoid it
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein as already mentioned, cut down the refined sugars ( got to love mini eggs though ;) ), you should also watch your sodium intake, being from the uk a lot of the data base values are entered incorrectly as our food is labelled in grams not mg so on most days your massively over ! Eat more veggies and fruits and drink more water !!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    ok, I see the link now.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'll comment from personal experience (lost a little over 40lbs in the last 2 years)

You seem to have quite a bit of sugar and white flour.
    I would eliminate all white flour and replace it with whole grains and/or whole wheat.
    Also, white sugar is EVIL stay away from it as much as possible.
    Additionally, add high fiber foods to make burning calories more effective.

Lastly, monitor your sodium intake, sodium adversly effects weight loss.

Drink lots of water and eat lots of green leafy veggies.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You need to spread your calories out during the day. And don't go under the calories that MFP gives you. There's a lot of resources on here about that, but you will not lose weight if you don't eat what is given to you.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone is saying, and mostly with the fact that you need to eat all your cals for the day!

There's lots that need to be changed, but it's possible. Having some of these things isn't a big deal once in awhile, but you are really doing your body a disservice by having them every day.

Good luck!
    You need to spread your calories out during the day. And don't go under the calories that MFP gives you. There's a lot of resources on here about that, but you will not lose weight if you don't eat what is given to you.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I also would change my goals to see my sugars. For me it's all about carbs and sugars.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Yup, it's blank until April 27th - I stopped going back after that and today you had a quick add 600 cals but we have no idea what that is to judge it.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You seem to eat a lot of cheese, sweets and breads and not many fruits and veggies or lean meats.

I know that this can be a bit abrupt but my suggestion is to start making the change over.

Give yourself a 'cheat' day to eat anything that you want (I'm not sure what the deal is with those Cadbury eggs LOL!).

The rest of the week start incorporating more fresh and whole foods and stay out of restaraunts.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options

Yup, it's blank until April 27th - I stopped going back after that and today you had a quick add 600 cals but we have no idea what that is to judge it.

Quick response to these - I mentioned in my post that the dates tracked were 8th April 2011 - 25th April 201..
  • Marcus_E
    Options
    And a big big thank you to those that replied... The advice is certainly welcomed..

I've been lucky in that my weight has stabilised over the past 20 years - but that's my issue. I've previously seen it as lucky, versus anything else..

My BIGGEST issue is my FOOD.. I know my habits are shocking and seeing it listed on MFP has been the biggest eye opener to me, especially around the Fruit & Veg aspect.. My issue is I don't find Fruit and Veg exciting and this is the problem - I avoid it.. Today's diary - whilst no where near perfect is the start of the improvement..

My theory is to make changes over a period of time and get used to these changes versus trying to do everything at once - have attempted this too many times in the past and not been successful, so thank you again for your advice and comments - all really helpful to me and I'm sure there's more to come in time as I crack this idle hold over me :)

THANKS ALL !!! :flowerforyou:
  • gillleeman
    gillleeman Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi there only just seen your post.

Todays diary looks great, but did you enjoy everything you ate?

To stick and make it a lifestyle change you have to enjoy every mouthful or it won't change and you will slip back into the habits that made you heavier in the first place.

If you did enjoy it, fantastic and well done. :happy: :happy:
  • Marcus_E
    Options
    Hi there only just seen your post.

Todays diary looks great, but did you enjoy everything you ate?

To stick and make it a lifestyle change you have to enjoy every mouthful or it won't change and you will slip back into the habits that made you heavier in the first place.

If you did enjoy it, fantastic and well done. :happy: :happy:
    Hi,

Yep, I really did enjoy today's food. Today was the start of the change, I know it's still not perfect, but did a big shop yesterday to get some bits and pieces and looking to re-introduce foods. The funny thing is that this is the food I used to love, just think it comes down to being lazy in the past. So baby steps as they say, but yep a start at least in the right direction :happy:
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good to see todays improvements.

One thing that I would like to stress again is to allow yourself that cheat day.

It will keep you sane, especially during such a transition.
  • Marcus_E
    Options
    Good to see todays improvements.
    One thing that I would like to stress again is to allow yourself that cheat day.
    It will keep you sane, especially during such a transition.

I did WW a few years ago and understand the cheat day - definitely needed..
    Cheers again for the advice