Bontril Diet Pills

Options
My doctor prescribed me Bontril diet pills two months ago. However, I took one and immediately got a headache. I haven't taken one since that day. However, I am considering trying a half pill tomorrow only because I gave in to temptation today when a co-worker brought Christmas cookies to work. I ended up eating 4 of them. Oh by the way, I have lost 13 pounds since joining MFP 52 days ago. (from eating less and working out)

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    My doctor prescribed me Bontril diet pills two months ago. However, I took one and immediately got a headache. I haven't taken one since that day. However, I am considering trying a half pill tomorrow only because I gave in to temptation today when a co-worker brought Christmas cookies to work. I ended up eating 4 of them. Oh by the way, I have lost 13 pounds since joining MFP 52 days ago. (from eating less and working out)

I say this with the best intentions but that view of "I overate so I should take something" is not the healthiest mind set.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly, you've lost 13 lbs without taking diet pills. So there's no reason to start taking them. We all overeat once in a while. Also, unless those pills make you puke every time you eat something you're not supposed to, they're not going to stop you from eating 4 cookies again tomorrow. Usually all those pills do is reduce appetite. But binging on cookies isn't about appetite, that's more about habit, or temptation, or something else psychological.

Just keep doing what you're doing, it works. You slipped today, but tomorrow's a new day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good job eating less and working out. That half pill might help.
    But, seriously, the pill does not change decision making.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I've had success with phentermine, and my friend was actually prescribed bontril and phentermine at the same time. ( what on earth was the doctor thinking?) Anyway, it surely does work, I lost 80 lbs. But I changed no bad habits, and gained it all back. So my takeaway is, if you can do it on your own (and you are!) Don't bother with the medications, that kind of weight loss isn't sustainable.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You ate 4 Christmas Cookies?

so that's what 320 calories - walk it off

no point taking a pill - you've got this
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't take it after all but it does suppress my appetite to the point where I have to force myself to eat something!
  • TimElwis
    TimElwis Posts: 56
    edited December 2014
    Options
    These things are horrible, what they do to your body is just not worth the end result. You gain it all back and little more. I know you might read this as, no that's what people always say.. but that's because it's what happens. Just google the statistics and not from a site that sells the product but research papers that show the end result and how many managed to maintain... sadly, It's not a lot. It's also how these companies make their money selling us pills.

How ever i can't hate them for everything as they did give me 1 positive. They're the reason I came to mfp, I wanted to actually lose weight and be healthy and this was the easiest option. I still today will tell everyone out of all the fads I've tried, all the pills that have made me sick mfp is still the easiest way to lose weight and keep it off.

I think for me eating all the time was my issue. The appetite problem can be fixed with adjusting macros and adjusting your lifestyle (I had PUT THE COOKIE DOWWWN printed on my fridge haha). I just added more good fats, fibre and protein to my diet. Lost 160lbs in under 2 years. The only weight loss that's truly worked and I've been able to maintain.
  • TimElwis
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You ate 4 Christmas Cookies?

so that's what 320 calories - walk it off

no point taking a pill - you've got this

Self control one must have or jog they shall hhhhhMMMMmmmm...
    Sorry watching star wars XD
  • rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    cruzmom123 wrote: »
    I didn't take it after all but it does suppress my appetite to the point where I have to force myself to eat something!

That's not healthy, either. Your body needs fuel to function; you will only hurt yourself more in the long run internally. Also, you run the risk of binging more when you do go off of the meds.

For the record, I did take prescription diet pills some years ago and subsequently gained it all back and then some, as it didn't help me change any of my habits. Focus on that, changing the way you view food and the weight will come off. It certainly doesn't come off as fast, but it will stay off.