Just diagnosed with Diabetes and can't stop eating junk food at night...

Options
13»

Replies

• paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    One simple piece of advice I haven't seen here yet: GIVE YOURSELF THREE DAYS.

No junk for 3 days - no sugar, no treats, no simple carbs, no white bread or pasta. This will be HARD. If you're like me, you'll have a headache and feel like crap. But after 3 days, you come out the other side and feel so much better - and amazingly, you won't crave that stuff nearly as much. Then you can find the willpower to take control.

Eat lean protein and complex carbs. Eat numerous small meals instead of 3 large meals (large meals have a bigger impact on blood sugar and insulin response). Drink lots of water - staying hydrated helps fight cravings and seems to help with the sugar-withdrawal headache.

You'll get huge health advantages from eating like this but more importantly, you'll feel a lot better. Good luck!
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    For others who have been through what you are going through. Give this group a try. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/512-diabetes-prediabetes-and-insulin-resistance .

All scary stories can be a motivation, but they can be counterproductive if they scare you into giving up. You can make these changes, you may have to change one thing at a time. Breaking it down to achievable goals. Talk to a nutritionist, learn about your condition.
    Be Well
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    And now the OP is missing?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    jennk5309 wrote: »
    My suggestion is to look at pictures of people who have diabetic ulcers, lost limbs, etc. Read their stories, watch videos and documentaries about them, etc. I have seen diabetics with no legs, on dialysis, etc. I even knew a man who got gangrene in his penis and had to have it removed. I'm not making that up.....Diabetes is not JUST a killer, it can make you have no life at all while you're still breathing.

In other words- gain some negative motivation.

Negative motivation is likely to be the best thing to get you started, and help you stay strong during the first weeks of changing your eating. After that, you'll need to find other motivators that make you feel good about your successes.

Fear can motivate, but it can also be so overwhelming that you have trouble processing it and go into denial instead. Mindfulness meditation can help with that. There's an app called "Calm" that I like to use when I feel off balance.

Reaching out to people on this thread is a sign that you are ready to adopt a new mind set.
    Best wishes to you as you make your first changes.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I notice from your profile that you started to try to lose weight 3 years ago.
    It also shows a total 7lb loss.

I think you have been stuck for quite a long time and haven't been successful in changing your eating habits.

For the sake of yourself, your children, and your extended family, please get some professional help in dealing with your eating habits, and the health crisis that is happening with yourself and your niece.

Talk to your doctor, there is no shame in getting the best help you can.

Cheers, h.
    PS No child needs junk food in their daily diet. An occasional treat, maybe.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Diabetics really must stick to a diabetic diet, which includes all macros in proportion. Including carbohydrates in moderation.

I lost an uncle to complications because instead of taking his doctor's advice, he went on a fad diet.

There's nothing that says a diabetic must eat more than 20g of carbs a day. There's nothing wrong with all macros in proportion..but there's also nothing wrong with diabetics eating low carb (IF monitored by your doctor).
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Tonilynn70 wrote: »

Anyway.. anyone have any suggestions... a success story... maybe someone is a hypnotist? LOL

Actually, hypnotherapy might be a good idea!

Your story is so very common. You experienced stressful life situations (the diagnosis and the situation with your niece.) This has decimated your willpower which has done a number on motivation which in turn means you have slipped back into old, comforting habits. Life happens and that is why traditional tools in dieting (willpower, motivation) will usually be found wanting.

What you need are simple techniques. You know what to eat in reality you simply need to know how to make it easier to execute that conscious knowledge. I am going to quote myself from a different thread on cravings now:
    So, a simple technique is as follows when you experience cravings:

1) Give yourself absolute mental permission to eat what you want, at whatever time you want and in whatever quantities you want (this sounds scary but isn't in conjunction with the following.)
    2) Tell yourself that you are experiencing a compulsive desire to eat and let yourself experience the emotions you feel. Don't fight them but rather let them wash over you and consider them.
    3) Tell yourself that, if you still wish to eat, that you freely accept the negative consequences that flow from it (lower self esteem, less energy or whatever is particularly important to you.)
    4) Eat or walk away as you feel.

The goal in this is not to avoid eating (indeed sometimes you may find that eating is actually a good result.) The goal is to consciously assess your actions and let that re establish connections in your unconscious. Over time you will find your consumption gradually reduces until this becomes second nature.

The above creates an averse state to overeating over time (but not eating itself which is of course beneficial!)
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's a tough love approach from me:

There is no CAN'T. It's either WILL NOT or REFUSE. The choice really just comes down to you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. 100%

If you won't change the way you are eating now..you will make your problem worse. How would you feel if your kids had diabetes and insisted on eating foods that will worsen their condition?

I am hypoglycemic. My problem is opposite of yours..i produce too much insulin. I was diagnosed 12 years ago (I'm 26 now). While my problem is opposite, treatment through diet is very similar..even some medications used are the same. When I was first diagnosed, I wasn't given very helpful advice from the doctor. In his defense..there wasn't very much known about treatment for it at that time. I was simply told to eat when I started feeling low. That didn't work and things got worse. I switched to eating low glycemic load foods, limited sweets, etc. That worked for awhile..until three years ago after I had my daughter. After that, it was time to find an alternative. I've been on a medication called acarbose, which is a prescription carb blocker, and that kind of worked. Then I lowered my carb intake to 18g and haven't had a low blood glucose since (aside from the morning after my cousins wedding when it was 48 due to drinking alcohol). It's all about playing with your diet and figuring out what works for your body..but you have to put in the work. When there is a problem with insulin..either too much or too little..the carbs consumed are what are going to make a difference.

I have a question.. Why do you want to continue to feel like crap? You could be on your way to feeling better..
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    First post, spam. Strong first post. lol.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Consider junk food as poison for your body. People eat junk food for the same reason rats eat rat poison.

Check out these 5 simple tips to eat less and be satisfied doing it: http://www.shelbysguide.com/blog/2014/12/17/is-your-fork-a-shovel-and-your-plate-a-trough

My husband and I have had dramatic results with our weight loss and health gains. We share what we've learned on our blog: http://www.shelbysguide.com/goals/

wow... another shameless blog promotion. Your blog is condescending...just sayin'

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Read up on what the diabetes can do to you.

1. Throw out the junk food. All of it.
    2. Go shopping. Buy healthy foods.
    3. Ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian. Keep appointments.
    4. Start exercising.

Ask people who know what they're talking about and can apply that to you, specifically. Follow that advice!

It can be done. If you actually want to do it, you can.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I am with you. I have the Diabetic Diet on my fridge, and need to follow it. My knees are killing me. This is not, "Oh, lose 20 pounds to fit into some cute jeans.". I am facing serious health problems because of my weight. And serious career issues as well. It is overwhelming stress.

Relationship issues because my SO I think is deliberately sabotaging my diet.

Today, I did not pack my lunch, and I automatically ordered fried chicken sandwich. Complete autopilot.

It is like AA, "One Day At a Time". My new plan is to always pack my lunch for work.

Find a plan that works for you. I used to be a night snacker, I stopped that by drinking herb tea at night. Lots of great flavors.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am giving my dad a kidney in a few weeks because his stopped working, partially due to poorly managed diabetes. So keep in mind, when you're with your kids, the disease doesn't just affect you.

Megan, very sorry to hear your dad is so unwell but what a brave and selfless thing to step up and help in this way.

OP - this could be one of your children, posting this about you - is that really worth the reeses pieces??

• Tonilynn70
    Tonilynn70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your feedback. I was diagnosed and the 14 year old I live with is the niece that has leukemia.. so it was a rough week. I also live with my sister and my father. I also work full time and am a full time grad student.. so my time is short. I sleep about 5 hours a night, which I know will not help the cravings.

I posted this because I lack the self control at this and wanted advise on how to control that. Not that I don't want to do it or can't. I just have moments, like everyone, where I can't control what goes in my mouth.

However, I did have a good day yesterday and it's one day at a time. And I am not going to deprive my son or my niece chips or cookies. They are kids, it's not like either of them eat non-stop junk food, and neither are overweight... so I am not taking away from them because I can't control myself.

Anyway,

Thank you for your input and support.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The only hints I can give for self control is to do things to distract you...hot shower, bath, tea with honey at night, reading. I have a constant dialogue in my head to keep me on track. I keep telling myself how much I want it, how good I feel, eating does not make my problems go away..just adds to existing ones. When these moments of weakness come on, do something else for yourself that you enjoy. My problem was after dinner snacking. I would just go to bed so I was not near the kitchen.
    Victoza was a miracle drug for me. I took it for high sugars but it has amazing weight loss abilities because it makes you feel as though you just had a huge dinner. My endocrinologist prescribed it. I took it for 3 months and lost about 30 pounds. I went off of it but by that time I had learned about weighing, measuring and portion control. I continued to lose 15 more on my own. I feel like it saved me. I am off all meds now.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was a diabetic and I was told I was pre-diabetic about three years ago. My doctor told me I could totally turn it around with diet and exercise. The first thing I did was cut out the sodas, juices, and alcohol. Then I started walking daily. Over time I traded my cookies and cakes for apples and bananas. Slowly I started eliminating over processed foods and eating as close to natural as possible. In nine months I lost 40 lbs and I've been able to maintain my current weight for almost two years. My blood sugar levels are normal now, without medication.
    I know with your niece being sick it makes you want to go for the sweets, but remember, you are 100% in control of your health. Take steps to make sure you are eating the best possible foods to maintain optimum health.
    I pray your niece has complete healing from leukemia
  • shelbylmiller
    Options
    Maybe this will help:

- Do you want to pass this problem onto the next generation? No? Because that's what you're doing when you encourage soda, sweets, chips, etc. as snacks. The kids might complain, but I promise that going without cheese puffs will not kill them. Get the junk food out of the house.

- Put a scale in the kitchen. They're not expensive. Measure and weigh everything. You'll be shocked at what a serving size is, good and bad.

- Go to the grocery store and pick up some stuff like hummus, goat cheese, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, ricotta cheese, baby carrots, fruit, rice cakes, etc. Try it. You might not like all of it, but you'll learn what you like and don't like. My lunch today is goat cheese, spinach, and roasted red peppers on a whole wheat pita with an orange on the side. I'm really looking forward to it because I love goat cheese. Diets don't mean no flavor, I promise.

I hope this helps. You can do this!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Tonilynn70 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for all your feedback. I was diagnosed and the 14 year old I live with is the niece that has leukemia.. so it was a rough week. I also live with my sister and my father. I also work full time and am a full time grad student.. so my time is short. I sleep about 5 hours a night, which I know will not help the cravings.

I posted this because I lack the self control at this and wanted advise on how to control that. Not that I don't want to do it or can't. I just have moments, like everyone, where I can't control what goes in my mouth.

However, I did have a good day yesterday and it's one day at a time. And I am not going to deprive my son or my niece chips or cookies. They are kids, it's not like either of them eat non-stop junk food, and neither are overweight... so I am not taking away from them because I can't control myself.

Anyway,

Thank you for your input and support.

not for nothing- but bad things will continue to happen.

You have to learn how to deal with it- this is no longer an issue of- well I don't feel well when I eat XXXX_ if you continue to eat like you have been there will serious and possibly deadly ramifications to your actions.

Blaming bad things, bad news- hard days, stress no longer are excuses.

You have to do the things- or it is not longer a "well I might face consequences" you WILL have to face the consequences.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    The only hints I can give for self control is to do things to distract you...hot shower, bath, tea with honey at night, reading. I have a constant dialogue in my head to keep me on track. I keep telling myself how much I want it, how good I feel, eating does not make my problems go away..just adds to existing ones. When these moments of weakness come on, do something else for yourself that you enjoy. My problem was after dinner snacking. I would just go to bed so I was not near the kitchen.
    Victoza was a miracle drug for me. I took it for high sugars but it has amazing weight loss abilities because it makes you feel as though you just had a huge dinner. My endocrinologist prescribed it. I took it for 3 months and lost about 30 pounds. I went off of it but by that time I had learned about weighing, measuring and portion control. I continued to lose 15 more on my own. I feel like it saved me. I am off all meds now.

I just happened to read an article on Saxenda's recent FDA approval. It is a new drug for weight loss and contains the same active ingredient as Victoza. As always, scary looking potential side effects but if you are obese and Type 2 (practically the only people that can get a prescription), maybe it's worth a look.