Reading Fodder: Where does the Fat go?

Options
For those interested in science: Do YOU know what actually happens to your fat when you lose weight? Think about it ...

Here's the answer (via Science Daily):

"Despite a worldwide obsession with diets and fitness regimes, many health professionals cannot correctly answer the question of where body fat goes when people lose weight, a new study shows. The most common misconception among doctors, dieticians and personal trainers is that the missing mass has been converted into energy or heat.
The correct answer is that most of the mass is breathed out as carbon dioxide and goes into thin air."

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Very interesting article. While I didn't think it was excreted via urine or feces I wasnt aware that so much was exhaled. I was under the impression it was converted to energy.

However, the last part of the article had me going WHAT? How could someone seriously ask if losing weight could impact global warming since fat is eliminated via exhalation?
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I knew that!! I actually looked at the chemical formula once and I remember, you breath it out :)
  • MBoteva
    MBoteva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the fat cells do not disappear, that they just shrink, while they go empty.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    MBoteva wrote: »
    I read somewhere that the fat cells do not disappear, that they just shrink, while they go empty.

That's right. They're still there, but deflated. ;-) The same with muscles; you can develop your muscles and if you don't use them, they shrink. Our bodies are really interesting.