"Pretty good" weight/fitness - can't get motivated to be better

Options
Hi all - I've completely lost motivation lately and fallen off the food-logging wagon. WhatI'm struggling with is that my weight and fitness are pretty good. I'm at the high end of my healthy weight range, I can run a 5K, I lift a few times a week (although I've been sick lately so it's been sporadic). I had a physical and my cholestorol and blood pressure were great. Some days I feel like I look pretty awesome. Other days I catch a glimpse in the mirror and think I look pretty awful.
I guess what I can't seem to do is get motivated to step up to the next level. I want to be at the LOW end of my healthy weight range (I have a small frame, so that's really where I should be). I want ABS. I want to be able to run a faster 5K. I want to be able to do a pull-up. Etc, etc. But right now I guess I don't want those things more than I want to sit on the couch and drink a glass of wine at the end of the night. But I WANT to want it more. lol. Does that make sense?
Anyway, just wondering if anyone is or was in the same boat. How did you motivate yourself to go beyond just "ok"?

Replies

• kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I could have written this post myself!!! I've just booked myself 10 sessions with the PT to try and get my oomph back. At the beginning of the year I set myself a challenge to be able to do a pull up by the end of the year....guess what, I will be setting myself the exact same challenge for 2015 as I didn't even start....

I'm getting married in June and kept thinking the motivation would kick in automatically, instead it is panic that is now setting in which isn't quite the same!!
  • CatLady1309
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Some days I want to eat crap,but I look at old pictures & think oh my god I can't get like that again.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    There has to be some kind of motivation there. You are only going to do something if it bugs you enough. Sometimes I actually welcome negative comments, people poking fun at my eating habits or dieting. Getting angry seems to make me want to prove a point. It gets me over that hump from "I wish" to "I'll show them!" I am not recommending anger as your motivation, but there needs to be some kind of strong force there, even if it is just self generated.

I hate to give credit to Elliot Hulse for a sincerely good idea, because the dude says some off the wall stuff, but to paraphrase one of his videos on motivation:

"Most people will never be able to chase something they want. They lack the ability to self-generate motivation. Most people only know how to run away from something. I could put a $10 million dollar sports contract in front of you, tell you to train hard and you can earn it, and most people would never get there. Now, if I put an angry dog behind you trying to bite your *kitten*, you can bet you are going to run as fast as possible away from it, faster than you ever thought you could. This applies to pretty much every facet of your life. Average people do whats comfortable. Stop being average and be the strongest version of yourself, mentally and physically.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    See, this kind of thing is weird to me. My personal value, my "excellence" as a human being? Certainly achieving goals is important, but my sense of self-worth or excellence is simply not tied up in body or physical fitness per se. The idea that I just coast because at a certain point, yeah, a certain level of physical capability is enough is utterly absurd. What I can do physically is certainly important, but I have goals outside of athletic capacity.

Oh sure, I have fitness goals. I am getting into marathon swimming and open water events. I'm training like crazy for it, sure. But the idea that my body will contain my sense of worth? Not so much.

But I have other goals as well. Finishing the sequel to a novel I did a couple of years ago. Leveraging a successful project I completed this year into other, satisfying professional work. Making connections for my community work.

My personal excellence may be enhanced by the self-discipline required to go from couch potato to marathon swimmer, but to use that as a metaphor for my entire life and achievements would be limiting as hell.
  • kgangl1028
    Options
    I get like this too sometimes....I'm sort of where you are....Pretty good shape, within 10 lbs of my goal weight, etc. I'm thinking about signing up for a charity run...maybe sponsoring someone who has cancer or some other kind of illness might give you motivation to train harder? Good luck...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    go watch the trailer for whip lash...
    and let the moment when he says

"'good job' are the two most harmful words in the English language"...

let that sink in- and never let yourself be average.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Trust me, almost everyone has either been, or currently is, where you are. Otherwise, the diet industry would have withered and died decades ago. Almost everyone wants to be fit and thin but few are actually willing to put in the hard work it takes to make it happen. They'd rather try to find a quick fix than make the necessary changes. If it were easy everyone would be doing it. What you need to decided for yourself is if you're willing to be counted amongst the wishers who don't take action or if you'd rather be counted amongst the doers and achievers.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Definitely in the same boat right now. I would like to lower my BMI from 22 to 19, essentially for vanity, but some days it's too easy to say "I look fine, why not just have some pizza and cake?"

I find a concrete fitness goal works, especially one with steep penalties for failure (this is why I fight. Not winning a race means you don't get a medal, not winning a fight means you get beaten up). Obviously it's not for everyone, but it's hard to deny how motivating not getting a beating is :-)

I was recently diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disorder and won't be able to work out hard or fight for at least a couple of years, and my motivation is taking a big hit. I have gained 18lbs since June, but I honestly still don't know if losing it is worth the effort to me. Some days it is my top priority , other days I feel like I don't care at all.

I have some time on my hands, now that I'm not training, so I've been studying various models of motivation and looking for ways to increase both motivation and self-regulation (aka willpower). I will post some of the interesting bits in the Motivation forum over the next few months.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    kgangl1028 wrote: »
    I get like this too sometimes....I'm sort of where you are....Pretty good shape, within 10 lbs of my goal weight, etc. I'm thinking about signing up for a charity run...maybe sponsoring someone who has cancer or some other kind of illness might give you motivation to train harder? Good luck...

I like this idea. I just saw a friend post on FB that she is doing a Tough Mudder in August, so I'm going to sign up. I think I need a concrete goal to keep myself motivated.
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya. BMI just shy of 22, trying to get back down to 19-20. I tend to diet strictly for a few weeks and then fall off the wagon, which is obvs not a great habit. So now I'm changing my strategy and trying to take baby steps: currently I'm working on logging all my food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Hi all - I've completely lost motivation lately and fallen off the food-logging wagon. WhatI'm struggling with is that my weight and fitness are pretty good. I'm at the high end of my healthy weight range, I can run a 5K, I lift a few times a week (although I've been sick lately so it's been sporadic). I had a physical and my cholestorol and blood pressure were great. Some days I feel like I look pretty awesome. Other days I catch a glimpse in the mirror and think I look pretty awful.
    I guess what I can't seem to do is get motivated to step up to the next level. I want to be at the LOW end of my healthy weight range (I have a small frame, so that's really where I should be). I want ABS. I want to be able to run a faster 5K. I want to be able to do a pull-up. Etc, etc. But right now I guess I don't want those things more than I want to sit on the couch and drink a glass of wine at the end of the night. But I WANT to want it more. lol. Does that make sense?
    Anyway, just wondering if anyone is or was in the same boat. How did you motivate yourself to go beyond just "ok"?

Makes perfect sense to me. I struggle with this too. Not exactly, my goals are different and I am overweight, but I get what you mean. There are things I'd like to do better or faster and I'd like to not be overweight. But, since I have no health issues and don't really think I look bad, my motivation to lose waxes and wanes.

It makes for slower weight loss (8.2 lbs in 2.5 months), but at least I only care sometimes. ;)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    kgangl1028 wrote: »

I like this idea. I just saw a friend post on FB that she is doing a Tough Mudder in August, so I'm going to sign up. I think I need a concrete goal to keep myself motivated.

This is how I got started - I signed up for a TM. Been CrossFitting ever since and that was 1.5 years ago.

But, I hear you. I'm more emotional this holiday season than I have been in a while. Depressed even? It feel like I'm walking through mud and I just can't seem to get myself over the hump to crush my routine. I'm aware of it though and that's what's going to motivate me in the end.

So, awareness is key. You've got that! Now go plan something ;-)
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    SET Goals... compete with yourself... run a faster mile... lift a heavier weight... JOIN a team, find accountability where none existed before.
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OMG yes! I have an 8.5 month old and JUST started my snap back plan because I thought I looked fine... I'm mainly working out as a stress reliever and because I'm not 100% happy with my tummy but of course you can't spot train so that means total body workouts...
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good is the enemy of great, something I've believed for a long time, as it's easy to settle sometimes at a point you're happy enough with. Overarching goals in the past, ones that stretched me, tended to work best for me, as well as changing those goals when needed.

Finding the motivation to carry on again, is something that can be very difficult in my personal experience, and when it comes to motivation and inspiration I try to take it where I find it, and try challenge myself if I can, as it's often too easy to fall into a comfortable groove (speaking for myself).

I'm not sure what the answer is in your case, but it's good you recognise the issue, and want to change things. Sometimes it can be very difficult to get out of such a groove, and think the best thing can be to shake things up sometimes, as you may have grown too settled in your routines.

Re: dieting to shift those vanity lbs, perhaps you can stir things up to get a start again, even if it's only something like eating at a deficit for 3 days a week, and at maintenance for the other 4 days.

Sometimes aiming for as much as you can, is the best way to go, and know I'm in a similar space, where things had stalled, and even temporarily regressed. I tried everything to get back on track, but it turns out what has been working best, is simply aiming to eat at maintenance (and not over) every day, and not eating back any calories burned from exercise, in effect just letting weight loss happen as it will, and for my part, simply putting all my effort into ensuring I don't go over my maintenance calories every day. This is in contrast to the entirety of my weight loss up to this point, which has been typified by hard and aggressive enough goals. Right now though, I'm finding a somewhat more relaxed approach is working best.

Bottom line, it's easy to make better changes once you have a little momentum behind yo first, so I would say put all your focus into getting things moving again, even if just slowly. From there you shall be able to steer more effectively towards your ultimate goal, even if it takes some time :smile:

By the way, sometimes a partner to drive and drag you along can be a great thing, and perhaps there's someone you can hook in with, and work out together/ start something together to work towards..
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a rest between the end of the regular season and starting Spring practice. We need both mental and physical breaks. Chill for a month. Mark a date on the calendar for the start of practice.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Brolympus wrote: »
    "Most people will never be able to chase something they want. They lack the ability to self-generate motivation. Most people only know how to run away from something. I could put a $10 million dollar sports contract in front of you, tell you to train hard and you can earn it, and most people would never get there. Now, if I put an angry dog behind you trying to bite your *kitten*, you can bet you are going to run as fast as possible away from it, faster than you ever thought you could. This applies to pretty much every facet of your life. Average people do whats comfortable. Stop being average and be the strongest version of yourself, mentally and physically.
    ... That's beautiful. Thank you for those words!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat at the moment. I'm thinking that it's okay, I've been doing this for a while, it's not like I'm putting on weight (I'm losing, just very slowly), and especially it's the holidays. Nothing wrong with taking a bit of a breather. (I'm also not to goal yet but at a weight where I feel good and think I look pretty good.)

What I'm trying to do instead is just change my focus/motivation a bit. I'm being more lax on the food stuff and some of my cardio and trying to focus in on doing more weights and getting a good program going there. Since it feels fresh and new it's easier to get excited and, frankly, it being indoors makes it easier than running right now.

In January (not to be a cliché) I suspect getting back to some stricter eating/calorie counting will be easier.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm totally in the same boat at the moment. I'm thinking that it's okay, I've been doing this for a while, it's not like I'm putting on weight (I'm losing, just very slowly), and especially it's the holidays. Nothing wrong with taking a bit of a breather. (I'm also not to goal yet but at a weight where I feel good and think I look pretty good.)

What I'm trying to do instead is just change my focus/motivation a bit. I'm being more lax on the food stuff and some of my cardio and trying to focus in on doing more weights and getting a good program going there. Since it feels fresh and new it's easier to get excited and, frankly, it being indoors makes it easier than running right now.

In January (not to be a cliché) I suspect getting back to some stricter eating/calorie counting will be easier.
    I'm there myself with my eating. This time of year I always get more lax with it and I don't worry about it; I just try to maintain. It's race season in the area where I live since the weather is nice so I'm running more which helps, too.

I agree, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break for awhile. I'm in this for the rest of my life so I know I'll always refocus before too long. The trick is just not to fall back into old habits and undo all of your hard work. It's depressing to be right back where you started from, really knowing how much work you have ahead of you, since you've already done it once, and that you have only yourself to blame for it. Worse, unless you were strength training the last time you would have lost muscle along with the fat, and replaced it only with fat, so it's going to be even harder. There's a reason yo-yo dieting takes it's toll as we get older. :neutral_face: