Couch to 5k - February race

Options
I am considering doing Couch to 5k for a zombie run happening February 2015. The program is 9 weeks long and they recommend repeating weeks if you are having a difficult time. If I started it today it would end about a week before the race (which would mean pretty much no repeat weeks for me). I have zero experience with races or C25K so I'm just curious if anyone has tried to run a race so soon after completing this, or a similar program, if so, any suggestions?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You'd be fine if the zombie run is a 5K. more than enough time to go run one.

most people could do one just walking out the front door of their house with no prep- it wouldn't be pretty- but most people could do it if they needed to.
  • LeenaJean
    LeenaJean Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I suppose my lack of experience is showing a bit :) I think I've just always felt that a 5k is such a huge mountain and I'm so nervous just thinking about it (flashback of high school gym days :s ), but that's also the reason why I want to kick it's butt. Thanks for your help :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.

You're on a program- do the program- you WILL Kick it's butt. I promise. :)

plus zombie run- come on- how awesome will that be!!!
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did the program over the summer and completed my first 5K mid September. By the time you finish the program you will wonder what you were so nervous about - lol. Its a great program.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't end up running the whole thing, you can still participate. I still can't run an entire 5k, but I focus on running a higher percentage each time I go out. The main thing is to have fun!
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    A major reason why I want to make the deadline is because I want my first 5k to be a zombie run, only down side being you have flags around your waist and if the zombies get all your flags you become a zombie yourself, so, not really a down side but I'd like to finish with all my flags.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started c25K in May and it took me about 2 weeks longer than the program - I'm 48, hadnt run more than 5 minutes in 28 years. I hit a mental block about 3/4 way through and couldnt complete the runs for that week - I dropped back 1 week, ran a different route and everything was back on track.
    If I can do it anyone can. By Sept I was running 5K in 30 minutes, twice or 3 times per week and just did my first 5K charity run today.
    If you're not running 5K by Feb, run and walk the event at whatever intervals you have reached. Enjoy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Sounds like purgatory.

Anyway. You've got time, it'll be fine.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time seeing 5K as a big obstacle anymore. 4 years ago, I was in the same place you are. Now 5K is half of the "short" runs I do two or three days each week and my long runs are up to 10 or 11 miles. It's amazing what we can accomplish when we just try.

Here's the thing... there are always faster people than you out there. If I ran one of those zombie races I know I'd end up being a zombie eventually because I'm not fast and I never will be. I'd have a heck of a lot of fun catching those slower than me once I got "turned", though! If you're running your first race you can't think of it in terms of "if I lose all of my flags, I lose" because you most certainly do not. You would be out there at all, which is miles beyond what most people are willing to push themselves to accomplish. You should be just trying to do your best and knowing that you're setting a baseline for the next race you run because you'll then be looking to beat your time from the first race.

You can easily do this race in the time you have. There's no rule that says you can't take a walk break or two in the middle. Stop trying to find reasons why you shouldn't do it and just start doing it. :smile:

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    LeenaJean wrote: »
    A major reason why I want to make the deadline is because I want my first 5k to be a zombie run, only down side being you have flags around your waist and if the zombies get all your flags you become a zombie yourself, so, not really a down side but I'd like to finish with all my flags.

Give it a go. What's the worst that can happen? You'll become a zombie.

Oh, wait....

(Actually, I did the same thing that you did - scheduling a race a week or so after my anticipated C25K completion date and it was tremendous fun. I did do a double take at one point during that first race thinking "why are so many people walking?". I didn't realise that was an option! You'll be fine.)
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    Glad to hear similar experiences ended with success, great job you guys!
    That's a good way of looking at it Sue, It would be miles (quite literally) from where I am now. Also, I would enjoy very much to run after the racers in full on zombie garb >:)
  • robswiger
    Options
    I haven't used the C25K program (I used the Nike+ Coach) but I've had friends that used C25K and it worked for them and you are giving yourself plenty of time. You will do great.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Oh, had a thought... there is a very cool 5K app out there called.... "Zombies 5K". It's similar to Couch to 5K but there's a story line that you follow as you're doing your runs and it intersperses the music on your smart phone in between. I used it this past summer to get back into running after a few months off for a foot injury. It might be just the thing to get you in the "spirit".
  • LeenaJean
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Oh, wait....

(Actually, I did the same thing that you did - scheduling a race a week or so after my anticipated C25K completion date and it was tremendous fun. I did do a double take at one point during that first race thinking "why are so many people walking?". I didn't realise that was an option! You'll be fine.)

Tremendous fun?! See now that seems like crazy talk ;) I am very excited to eventually get to the point where I am not so nervous and am having fun with it.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I did one really close because it was for veterans and it was important to me. I ended up running and walking, but it was awesome and I didn't regret it one bit. I'm still working on running an entire 5K, but I loved my first 5K. I finished. That was the important part. I finished it, and I got the finishers medal. I was so proud of myself.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you'll be fine. and don't need to be a slave to the app. personally, i tried C25k once, and i disliked all the walking and running. just go out and run and enjoy yourself. run a little further or a little faster each time.

and it's a fun run 5k. you will have opportunities to walk and catch your breath before the next horde comes for you.

also, i don't think that if you lose all three flags you become a zombie. you have to specifically sign up to be a zombie. if you lose all three flags, you're just not eligible for prizes at the end.
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am actually on my last week of the C25K app! It works great. The last week is run for 30 min. At the beginning I would have never been able to do it. It works really well.
  • KBurkhardt08
    KBurkhardt08 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I really want to do this race! I need to find one near me
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Oh, wait....

Tremendous fun?! See now that seems like crazy talk ;) I am very excited to eventually get to the point where I am not so nervous and am having fun with it.

You'll be golden. A race day experience really is a great thing and it will open up a whole new world for you.

I did a Santa Run a few weeks ago where everyone dressed up in Santa outfits. There were parents with little kids at the side of the path waving and saying "hello Santa!". It was awesome.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    also, i find when I have less room for error when it comes to my work out schedule, i'm able to mentally push through. i bet the whole "not having room to repeat a week" will be great motivation.